street fighter 4

Is the PS3 better than a C64, all in here

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

pcp

Re: street fighter 4

Post by pcp »

crostheman wrote:I cant wait to get this next week!

To play SF2 was actually quite a skill. especially when playing against people who like to use one move all the tme!

Anyone gonna see the new movie?

http://www.streetfighter.com/movie/[/url]

I wonder if it will be as bad as the last movie? :lol:

Best SF2 spin off has to be the manga movie, good to watch and has a soundtrack including alice in chains, korn, therapy? and helmet :thumleft:
ENSMR2

Post by ENSMR2 »

pcp wrote:
crostheman wrote:I cant wait to get this next week!

To play SF2 was actually quite a skill. especially when playing against people who like to use one move all the tme!

Anyone gonna see the new movie?

http://www.streetfighter.com/movie/[/url]

I wonder if it will be as bad as the last movie? :lol:

Best SF2 spin off has to be the manga movie, good to watch and has a soundtrack including alice in chains, korn, therapy? and helmet :thumleft:

Which one? Only one was worth watching. TV series was hell of a lot better.

Trailers for the new movie are out. Not expecting much TBH.
Mr2_NA

Post by Mr2_NA »

I feel as if SF4 id pretty good :thumleft:

I could never get into SF2.

The moves and graphics are sublime to perform and look at.

Better than Soul Calibur 2 :thumleft:
James

Post by James »

I was playing it for a long while last night.... and its good!

The great bits;

Graphics, movie clips, massive characters! goodies/rewards to keep you playing, all the best characters, extremely polished

dissapointments;

I find you move from left to right too quick, almost like a hovering effect which makes timing for sweeps etc not so accurate.

Ryu/kens reverse hook/reverse spinning kick has turned into a lame kick (I am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to kicks as I do them in real life LOL)

Blankas winning bits are lame 'I am stronger than you!' and turns his back :-k
his old back flip and roar were much better

Music is toned down and a little bit cheesey/g@y

still cant help but like it as the gameplay is there to be honest and it feels so polished. All in all it captures the originals essence and adds a little more with manga style cut scenes.

Only used those 3 characters whilst playing so cant comment on the others as yet.
thai boxer

Post by thai boxer »

Pain is temporary, pride is forever.
nakamura

Post by nakamura »

matt_mr2t wrote:I don't like the way the old street fighters play. It's nothing to do with being pretty, it's a seriously out dated format. I thought games like that had totally died off tbh. You hardly even see 3d fighters these days. Think the last time i enjoyed something like that was Fight Night and that's probably because you don't have to button mash to play it. All the new one seems to be to me is a tarted up version of the old games with nothing new except better graphics.

Im sorry but i have never heard so much crap in all my life. Videogames as a whole are an old format. Pressing buttons on a controller has been around since the 70s and will remain a while longer. Thats what videogames are.

Street Fighter is just as old as all of the run of the mill FPS games out there. And as for having to mash the buttons, well I could beat you playing with one hand.

If SF4 is old so is Fifa, Gran Turismo, Killzone and every game released today. They all offer the same things as before but with a new lick of paint and different options.
James

Post by James »

nakamura wrote:
matt_mr2t wrote:I don't like the way the old street fighters play. It's nothing to do with being pretty, it's a seriously out dated format. I thought games like that had totally died off tbh. You hardly even see 3d fighters these days. Think the last time i enjoyed something like that was Fight Night and that's probably because you don't have to button mash to play it. All the new one seems to be to me is a tarted up version of the old games with nothing new except better graphics.

Im sorry but i have never heard so much crap in all my life. Videogames as a whole are an old format. Pressing buttons on a controller has been around since the 70s and will remain a while longer. Thats what videogames are.

Street Fighter is just as old as all of the run of the mill FPS games out there. And as for having to mash the buttons, well I could beat you playing with one hand.

If SF4 is old so is Fifa, Gran Turismo, Killzone and every game released today. They all offer the same things as before but with a new lick of paint and different options.

well.... someones a negative nancy :wink:
nakamura

Post by nakamura »

Errr in what way is that negative?
James

Post by James »

whoops I meant to only quote;

I don't like the way the old street fighters play. It's nothing to do with being pretty, it's a seriously out dated format. I thought games like that had totally died off tbh. You hardly even see 3d fighters these days. Think the last time i enjoyed something like that was Fight Night and that's probably because you don't have to button mash to play it. All the new one seems to be to me is a tarted up version of the old games with nothing new except better graphics.

:whistle:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Sorry but just NO lol.

Unlike SF all the games you mention take huge leaps forward on each generation. Ok, the concept is the same, you play football, you shoot stuff etc. But ever time the games get bigger, the graphics go a long way, the stories, the extra's, every aspect of the genre's are expanded on.

Fifa, when it originally came out was nothing what so ever like it is today. It was bascially 2D and played completely differently. Doom, one of the 1st FPS games was hideously constrained. You could just about play it, you couldnt look up and down etc.

Yet with SF4 all you have is the exact same game you did 15 years with marginally prettier graphics. A few new characters thrown in for the sake of it. But it's is still just a 15+ year old 2D repetetive beat em up game.

Now fair play, if you like that, that's cool. But there's no way you can ever say that it's as evolved from it's roots as other games are.

BTW, what happened to Street Fighter 3?
James

Post by James »

There isnt one 3d beatem up out there that is better than the 2d mortal kombat and streetfighter II.

PERIOD.

3D's are just slow and combersome. Its all about 2D and now u can enjoy them with great graphics

*No returns*
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I'd take FN3 over any 2d fighter.

Look forward to the rumoured new one.
Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

matt_mr2t wrote:BTW, what happened to Street Fighter 3?

Originally an arcade game but later brought to Dreamcast, PS2 & XBOX
Engine rebuilt by: Steve Horrocks & Andy Jones
Engine mapped by: Ryan@2bartuning (330 bhp & 325 lbft @ 1.4 bar)
Current Status: F****D :(
nakamura

Post by nakamura »

Im sorry Matt but when it comes to games you talk rubbish.
The amount of skill involved to be a good player on games like SF4 is staggering. There are so many combinations of moves, characters, skills, reversals, blocks, combos and so on. Its no more repetative than games like Gears and Killzone where you just run around albeit spectacular set pieces shooting people. Pretty graphics and destructive scenery do not make a less repetative game.

GTA4 while impressive does nothing much more than GTA3.
Gran Turismo 5 offers little over 4.
Metal Gear Solid 4 is not as good as the original despite all the extra gimicks.

I could go on.
nakamura

Post by nakamura »

SF3.

Way ahead of any 3d fighter in its time in terms of skill and graphics. The amount of animation is unbelievable.

This is perhaps the best bit of gaming skill ever seen. The guy parries a super combo at the end with no life left to then counter in style. If he blocked he would have been defeated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS5peqAp ... re=related
ENSMR2

Post by ENSMR2 »

Matt was obviously crap at SF so therefore it's a crap game :oldtongue:

Just been playing SF4 for the last few hours. Damn it's hard on medium setting lol. Or is that just the game rust. Not played SF in a while. Actually thinking back the end boss was pretty easy compared to some of the other fighters.

Like how they've made the characters communicate during the fight. Well Ryu and Sagat do. I thought that was well cool.

Graphics rock.
Martian_333

Post by Martian_333 »

Evening Ladies,

shizer, I dont have this game yet

anyone up for a game of something??? ill tear you a new one on Vegas 2 or Forza.... :D

EDIT: Not sure how I missed the xbox360 gamertags list up above, but there you go, blind as a bat!

So is this game actually worth getting?
Last edited by Martian_333 on Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I was ok at SFII when it was actually a new game. I downloaded the demo on XBL though and just recoiled in horror at how dreadful it really was.

I always prefered the MK games to SF any way. MK1 on the Megadrive was my favourtite. Nothing quite topped Sub Zero ripping his oponents head off and dangling his spine around!

All the combo's etc in the world dont take away from the fact you are fighting 1 on 1 over and over again in a limited 2D world.

If you cant see that then you have probleemo's!

Enjoy it for what it is, ancient :thumleft:
ENSMR2

Post by ENSMR2 »

matt_mr2t wrote:I was ok at SFII when it was actually a new game. I downloaded the demo on XBL though and just recoiled in horror at how dreadful it really was.

I always prefered the MK games to SF any way. MK1 on the Megadrive was my favourtite. Nothing quite topped Sub Zero ripping his oponents head off and dangling his spine around!

All the combo's etc in the world dont take away from the fact you are fighting 1 on 1 over and over again in a limited 2D world.

If you cant see that then you have probleemo's!

Enjoy it for what it is, ancient :thumleft:

PMSL. Your too stubborn for this to matter but anyway:

So because fps never could look up and down and now can that means they have "evolved" more then a beat em up?

So you get more guns, more movement options lol, and a few other things.

Well, play the original SF2/beat em ups and play some of the more recent ones.

Lets see. you got the high jump(down then up) Special move combos, combos in general, air combos, special moves in the air, fighting with 2 characters(on some) On screen movement i.e. characters head follows opponents movements like when they jump, focus moves, reversals, breaks, charater and opponents communicate whilst fighting etc etc. SF2 didn't have any of those. SF4 doesn't have the 2 character option out of those.

So the only thing the same is really the one on one format. So what! FPS is the same, you have a gun and you shoot things. Footy games the same, you have a ball and you try and score. All have changed by adding things here and there to improve the game, as has happened with beat em ups. The formats are all the same though. But your too stubborn to see lol.

Oh and MK1 rocked. I had it on nintendo so missed out on the gore though :evil:

Remember being awesome on that at the arcade. Where we used to play the sound was up LOUD and it was awesome when you hit some one with Raidens flying ehonda rip off move lol. Plus it was all 10p a play back then :D TBH I've loved all versions of it. I own all with Scorpion.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I'm just saying that everything else has moved on but SF 4 is pretty much the same as it was. I'm sure the combo's are great. But really, how much can you get out of it? You fight one person, you fight another, how long before it all just blurs into one.

I'm not sticking up for all FPS's by the way. Some are rubbish!

And to be fair, in a way the FPS is really an evolution of old platform games isnt it?

I've never played any of them but wasnt the first GTA 2d with an over head view? I mean look at the new one, vast open worlds, superb graphics, massive amounts of hours of game play. You couldn't be any further removed from it's roots.

Btw, I downloaded MKII on PSN, hmmm. The only thing stopping me deleting it is that it cost me a fiver ](*,)

Return to “Games Consoles”