[Mk2] [Turbo] What do you deem safe EGT's ?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

JJ

[Mk2] [Turbo] What do you deem safe EGT's ?

Post by JJ »

As the subject refers too !

Just trying to get a feel for what people reckon is a safe exhaust gas temperatures to be operating with on these 3SGTE's ( celcius please )

Upon a recent inspection, I find although the wideband is running plenty rich.. my 2 middle pots shows signs of getting hot which either the timings getting pulled back, more fuels going in or I get my finger out and get this aquamist MF2 installed to cool the intake !

Thanks in advance ! :thumleft:
Marf

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] What do you deem safe EGT's ?

Post by Marf »

I had an EGT on my last car, a Charade GTxx turbo running 22-25psi

The sensor in the manifold pre turbo, I aimed to keep the EGT's below 900c.

The placement of the sensor affects the reading, if its pre turbo it will be hotter by 100-150deg C than if the sensor is placed in the downpipe.
Lee @ 3S Service Centre

Post by Lee @ 3S Service Centre »

you want to aimt to keep them as low as possible, i would think to keep them on the safe side i wouldnt want them to pass aroiund 850 under boost. even this is quite hgih.
JJ

Post by JJ »

Blimey... what I'm thinking is no higher than 750 deg C... all the articles from engine tuners claim a rule of thumb of 720 degrees C

Thanks ! :thumleft:
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

It also depends where you're taking the EGT's from...Ideally you'd want a probe in each exhaust manifold runner, so you know which chamber is running lean/rich etc.

If it's a single point pick up, you're going to have difficulties locating the offending chamber.
Frustrated Pilot

Post by Frustrated Pilot »

I had an egt in the elbow after the turbo.

on motorways it showed constant 800 degrees C. never showed any problems...

but be careful mounting before turbine....

if it degrades,.... which it will done day.. it could snap... then all your nice blades come out the exhaust...
JJ

Post by JJ »

if it degrades,.... which it will done day.. it could snap... then all your nice blades come out the exhaust...

This is indeed a major drawback of mounting an EGT probe pre turbo..... Mounting in no.2/3 track is ideal as both do run a little warmer than the others.. but as you say risking the turbo completely failing due to a premature lifespan of an EGT probe. :-k
Last edited by JJ on Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan.g

Post by Ryan.g »

Any 3sgte running a CT series turbo with the boost upped will be running EGTs of around 900-920c on the centre 2 cylinders measuring 1.5" away from the exhaust ports.

Most of the 2jzgte lumps run about 900c when at BPU at 1.2bar as well as alot of the EJ20 engines.

Why do you think Toyota made them go to rich after 6k with the Cat in place :)

I always try and keep to under 850c when measuring next to the exhaust ports but the Centre cylinders on the 3sgte do run a fair bit hotter.

Ryan
Ryan.g

Post by Ryan.g »

JJ wrote:

This is indeed a major drawback of mounting an EGT probe pre turbo..... Idealling mounting in no.2/3 track is ideal as both do run a little warmer than the others.. but as you say risking the turbo completely failing due to a premature lifespan of an EGT probe. :-k

Thats cause most people use the cheap sensors that come with the jap gauges. I always use a inconel sensors with a 6mm body and 3mm tip for strength and fast response

Return to “Modifications”