4agte power, 11.4sec 1/4mile!

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Bender Unit

Re: 4agte power, 11.4sec 1/4mile!

Post by Bender Unit »

I havent seen what the clearance issues are with the Aw11 / turbo kits so just throwing some ideas about.

Could you not just massage the AW11 fire wall with a hammer to help give the clearance so you can fit the AE86 turbo manifold to the AW11?

Another idea but could you get the AE86 manifold, slice the runners from the flange, flip the pipe work upside down and then reweld it all onto the flange? Effectivley having a top mount turbo

You can also offset a turbo as well - so you can mount it where there is a bit more space it dosnt need to be bolted directly onto the exhaust manifold. Seen some turbo kits that place the turbo mid way in the exhaust system due to space issues.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Bender Unit wrote:I havent seen what the clearance issues are with the Aw11 / turbo kits so just throwing some ideas about.

Could you not just massage the AW11 fire wall with a hammer to help give the clearance so you can fit the AE86 turbo manifold to the AW11?

In effect, that is what has happened with my car. But it is still close. VERY close.

Mk1Chris

Post by Mk1Chris »

tonigmr2 wrote:Well I am, I sold mine to Chris above which is why his is turboed. :D

8) The downpipe off the turbo from speed-source fits like a dream, but even THEIR manifold has issues.
The oil return is slightly too low so you need to fit a scavenge pump, and the turbo has to be re-clocked so the hot pipe comes between the gear linkage cables in order to fit :shock: It also sits the turbo less that 10mm from a coolant pipe! But essentially it does fit(ish)- well pretty well anyway.

And im not the first in this country to 4agte an mr2 mk1, that belongs to a chap forum named mr2ange. His was a bigport tho and reatined the original supercharger intake AFAIK.

But toni, that sounds like an excellent idea. A 4agte, 4agZe (big Z for the sc14) and 4agzte all in one place. I'm up for it :thumleft:
Smallport 4AGTE
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

Mk1Chris wrote:

But toni, that sounds like an excellent idea. A 4agte, 4agZe (big Z for the sc14) and 4agzte all in one place. I'm up for it :thumleft:

LOL! sounds like fun :thumleft: (although both of yours should be quicker than mine)

Especially as Toni used to own my shell and your bits of your engine (maybe your engine itself), it'll be like a Toni technology fest
Mk1Chris

Post by Mk1Chris »

cartledge_uk wrote:
LOL! sounds like fun :thumleft: (although both of yours should be quicker than mine)

It's not about being quicker, it's about crossing the line before our unreliable engines blow up. :wink:
Smallport 4AGTE
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

Mk1Chris wrote:
cartledge_uk wrote:

It's not about being quicker, it's about crossing the line before our unreliable engines blow up. :wink:

I have an unreliable driver, so no hope there!
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

It's not about being quicker, it's about crossing the line before our unreliable engines blow up

Not really,that's just being a bit silly isn't it? I would however say that it's more about being able to drive the same car 5 years afterwards without having to rebuild the engine.

I have absolutely no problem with folk trying to get the best from their 4age's,its a fantastic engine,what i do have a problem with is the way people make it sound very easy,for hardly any money and they end up with a rock solid 200+ bhp.... it's absolute nonsense.

The figures speak for themselves,25 years of production,unlimited resources and some very clever people building them,yet we have seen less than what? 3 turbo 4age's in the whole country in 25 years? Out of those how many ran for any significant time?If they are so cheap and easy to build why aren't we building them? I mean my business is Mr2 engines/conversions,so surely i should be the busiest man in the country churning out 4a-gte's?

Sorry folks but the truth of the matter is,wether you like it or not,is that they are very costly to build properly versus a relatively drop in powerplant that will produce 250+ bhp for the rest of the cars life.

Don't get me wrong,i'd take the mk1 in this thread in a heartbeat,but it really is time to take off the 4agte tinted glasses,or at least be real about it's build costs and attainability.

Having said all of that i'd love to have a crack at building one myself,maybe i will? but i'd set myself a budget of at least £4k before even starting.
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

People in the uk are odd when it comes to MR2's as you yourself know when you started the 1.5 conversions all those years ago. It was being done elesewhere in the world first, The uk drags behind when it comes to mk1's.

The same with the Turbos and larger supercharger units, there are loads elsewhere in the world but in the uk, hardly any. Admitdly the USA has it easy becasue of the AFM instead of MAP.

I mean I got abuse from some mk1 members for turning a sherwood toned car into a race car ffs, how are people like that going to have the cahoonas to try and turbo something.

Its sad but as you try something different in the mk1 world there are people that will put you down and put you off.

Only recently when us "young'uns" are coming though are things starting to get modified, there are 2-4 other 4agte builds at the moment.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Paul, there is a whole world of 4age's outside of MR2s. You only have to look at the drift forums to realise the majority of them are tuned! It's stranger to have an untuned 4age there, LOL.

Look at the AE86s for sale on Driftworks and you'll see what I mean. It's rare there isn't a turbo'd, throttle bodied or upgraded SC'd one in some form or other, and I don't see them complaining about reliability??

Maybe the MR2 community just don't get into it as much, but it doesn't mean it isn't going on!

Plus, PMSL, Toni technology fest, LOL.
crazybrightman

Post by crazybrightman »

all being well my 4agte should come in around £1600, thats doing everything myself mind you. ive already spent £1150 of that budget but i have most things i need now apart from a fuel pump, some hard piping for the turbo and acharge cooler or intercooler. i may even buy another turbo though as i think a water cooled turbo is needed.
4agte on the way
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Toni i just wonder why it has never taken off in the UK mk1 mr2 world though? Maybe a lot more people should have a go,im not knocking it at all,anything that pushes the boundaries in mk1 tuning im all for! My only gripe is when people say its not going to cost much or it will hold 200bhp+ forever reliably when it just doesn't appear to be the case.... maybe i need to have a crack at one myself and see how it goes.
Mk1Chris

Post by Mk1Chris »

PW@Woodsport wrote:Toni i just wonder why it has never taken off in the UK mk1 mr2 world though?

Because it's a $%^&(BEEP), &*^%(BEEP) and :>?$£$(BEEP) pain to do as the parts just aren't there. Supercharger bits are hard enough to get, let alone pulling them apart to bolt on a turbo - and then there's the manifold :roll:
Smallport 4AGTE
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

What Chris said - I think it is a space issue! I really don't have any other explanation - even cams are dead common on AE86s, and I don't see many MK1s with those either.

Bit bizarre really.
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

tonigmr2 wrote:What Chris said - I think it is a space issue! I really don't have any other explanation - even cams are dead common on AE86s, and I don't see many MK1s with those either.

Bit bizarre really.

Its the uk mk1 owners, show before go :mrgreen:

*runs and hides*
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Could be tim,could be.... anyhow i think it's great we do have a handful of people with the balls to have a go at this.
Mk1Chris

Post by Mk1Chris »

cartledge_uk wrote:
Its the uk mk1 owners, show before go :mrgreen:

My track car has a 'show' rating of minus a million :lol:
Smallport 4AGTE
MartG

Post by MartG »

PW@Woodsport wrote:Toni i just wonder why it has never taken off in the UK mk1 mr2 world though?

Maybe because we never got AFM equipped cars here :-k
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

Given how overpriced the base cars are I think it's reasonable to assume that AE86 owners have typically the kind of people who have got more money to throw at their cars, whereas the mk1 tends to attract the more budget conscious who don't necessarily see cams as being particularly cost effective.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Could be mart,but its extremely easy/cheap to buy a US engine harness/Afm and ECU from the states.... plus we have loads of supercharger engines in the UK that would make perfect turbo donors,almost a case of remove the SC gubbins and bolt on a turbo (not quite but you know what i mean).

Maybe the majority of mk1 owners are just happy with their lot? and the remainder just lob a big engine in for warp factor 9? We have 40 plus big engined mk1's in the UK that have only been built in the last 3 years.... it's certainly strange that there aren't way more 4agte swaps here.
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

PW@Woodsport wrote:

Maybe the majority of mk1 owners are just happy with their lot? and the remainder just lob a big engine in for warp factor 9? We have 40 plus big engined mk1's in the UK that have only been built in the last 3 years.... it's certainly strange that there aren't way more 4agte swaps here.

But as Toni said, there is no medium at all, I didnt realise it until she said.

Most SC owners put the pulley on, maybe an intercooler and some little bits but other than that, and the twobrutal swaps, 98% of the mk1's have std engines. Its very odd!

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”