3 Piece Split Rim Refurb Options?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

JeffD

Re: 3 Piece Split Rim Refurb Options?

Post by JeffD »

Finally got the outer rim to split from the spokes - hoorah!!!

As well as cuting the sealant as shown in the pic below I also cut it side on too which is what I think made the differnce

Place the rim on 2 blocks of wood making sure the central hub of the spokes is raised from the floor and the wooden chocks are supporting the outer rim only and not part of teh spokes. Was expecting to have to bash it with a rubber hammer but accidentally lent on it and popped out no problem :-)

One set of spokes ready for stripping and powder coating.

One outer rim ready for polishing

JUst got to do the other 3 now!
Extubby

Post by Extubby »

Your at the same point as me.
The centres are at the powder coaters.
Apexi Induction, Gutted Cat, Departure Exhaust, Magnecor Leads, St205 cc, Blitz ebc.
Carbotech pads.
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

How much is it coswting to do your centres and what are you doing with your outers?
Extubby

Post by Extubby »

Hey Jeff, hope your well.
They are powdercoating the centers, big nuts and the nut covers for £30 a corner.
The polished lips are being done by myself. This could be a service that I will be offering in the near future. To de-kurb, sand back and polish to a shine the outer lips.

The only problem I see is that you can't put lacquer on very polished metal as it has nothing to grip to. Anyone know if this is true?
Apexi Induction, Gutted Cat, Departure Exhaust, Magnecor Leads, St205 cc, Blitz ebc.
Carbotech pads.
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Sounds lik ea good price :-)

I'm just trying some nitromorse on the lips to try and strip the lacquer ofgf before I polish them

JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Was a bit bored so decided to nitromorse one of the spoked sections and this is what came up...

NIce and shiny (except for out edge damage)

tried to polish it off and looks ok from a distance...

but close up you can see pitting

with the hub back on just to see what it would look like

and next to a painted one for comparison

dont know whether to get them polished now - decisions...decisions
chalkiepete

Post by chalkiepete »

Sorry, to butt in here, but I gotta set of split rims and am going to strip them down & repaint the centres Red, does anyone know if I need a special alloy primer first before I spray them with paint from halfrauds?

Good luck with ya refurb, I will watch with interest. :D
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

If youve gone back to bare metal I think yoiur supposed to use an acid etch primer.
Extubby

Post by Extubby »

Gents, the halfrauds paint is not that good, it does not have that good adhesion and it brittle. I spoke to these guys http://www.wheelpaints.co.uk/ and they supply lots of the paint to manufacturers for their wheels. Most of the paint is for in a spray gun but you can buy it in cans from them. You will need to etch it before painting if your back to bare metal.
Carbotech pads.
chalkiepete

Post by chalkiepete »

Extubby wrote:Gents, the halfrauds paint is not that good, it does not have that good adhesion and it brittle. I spoke to these guys http://www.wheelpaints.co.uk/ and they supply lots of the paint to manufacturers for their wheels. Most of the paint is for in a spray gun but you can buy it in cans from them. You will need to etch it before painting if your back to bare metal.

So, I'm going to spilt the centre part out of the rims and just paint the centres the same Red as the car. Could you kindly tell me how one would etch the alloys first?
Extubby

Post by Extubby »

No problem. Take the wheels appart. Runs some 120 grit over the wheel to score the paint, add nitromorse paint stripper to remove the old paint. Keep doing this till you are back to bare metal. Then you can etch away before painting.

Etch primer is a primer that has acid in it so it gets really good adhesion to the metal and reduces lifting and chipping. I can polish the outer lips for you if you want. PM me if your interested.

Adam
Carbotech pads.
Phill P

Post by Phill P »

Extubby wrote:

The only problem I see is that you can't put lacquer on very polished metal as it has nothing to grip to. Anyone know if this is true?

Yup this is true,all the alloy on my xjr is bare as nothing will stick to it,apart from dirt :(

All I do now and again is run a mop over it with a drill attachment and it brings it back,your outer lips would be ok although where the allen bolts go would be a pain.

This stuff is good, Belgom Alu.

http://thepolishingshop.co.uk/acatalog/ ... nance.html

Paul :thumleft:
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

I dropped off my lips today to have them chemically stripped of lacquer then I'm going to polish them myself and protect with the Belgom Alu - looking forward to it with trepedation! :-)/:-(
fen666

Post by fen666 »

We are getting some new powder in at work which is the nearest to chrome I have ever seen, plus a box of laquer which is supposed to be the mutts.
Mind you at £350 for 20kg it should be something special !!!!

I have a set of Leon Hardiritt wheels which need refurbing but I will do a few experiments before I touch them ... :thumleft:
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Got the outer rims back from the refurber today after having the lacquer stripped - werent quite what I was expecting but after a couple of hours polishing Ive almost done the first one - Ive put an unpolished one next to it as a before/after.

Mk1Chris

Post by Mk1Chris »

I think you missed a bit.... :D

Seriously good work there tho :thumleft:

I just bought a wheel 'bath' from ikea for a £10 as the first stage of what you are doing here. I have some 3 piece SSR formula mesh that are now soaking in cleaner to get the million years of dirt off then before splitting, powdering and polishing.
Smallport 4AGTE
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

How much did your refurber charge you to have the laquer stripped? :? only asking because you could have got the same result yourself by just using nitromors for 5 mins :?

you have done a top job polishing though :thumleft:
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

£20 for stripping - Ive already tried nitomorse and whatever it was wasnt affected by it in the slightest - hence getting the pros to have a go.

BLZ-8027

Post by BLZ-8027 »

Mk1Chris wrote:
I just bought a wheel 'bath' from ikea for a £10 .

What department was that in then :-k
im looking for a large container for mine,so i can do some vinegar soaking
it does wonders to the wheel bolts when you strip them

Extubby

Post by Extubby »

Jeff, have you not had to wet and dry any of that? Is that just polished up with the Belgum? Whats it like?

Looking good!!
Carbotech pads.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”