[Mk2] [NA] turbo gurus!

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tomm

[Mk2] [NA] turbo gurus!

Post by Tomm »

hey,

Well just before i got my new mr2 on the 28th i bought a 3SGTE engine hoping to swap the engines as soon a possile, After closer insection it turned out that the Turo engine was lacking compresion across cylinder 3. So i set about rebuilding the enine hoping to complete the conversion next summer time.

Now my question is, I have the turbo, manifolds, oil return, ecu everything which is in perfect working condition from my turbo engine and a perfectly fine 3SGE engine in my MR2 at the moment.

No would i be able to fit these parts to my 3SGE engine an run the engine safely on stock boost with my 3SGE internals?

I am fully aware that the 3SGTE Engines run a much lower compresion ratio and uch stronger components to cope with the power from the turbo but would i be ok for a few months on low boost to run this?

Justa qustion which has been

Thanks a lot, Tomm pestering me!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: [Mk2] [NA] turbo gurus!

Post by Ryan S »

personally i wouldn't, the reason the internals on the turbo are better is because, well....it has a turbo, the mr2 runs relatively low boost anyway, i think you'd melt the pistons.i'm sure somebody will be along shortly with more detailed advice. :thumleft:
Andy F

Post by Andy F »

There,s no oil feed from the block for the turbo for starters.....
Its a big no no matey
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Andy F wrote:There,s no oil feed from the block for the turbo for starters.....
Its a big no no matey

oh yeah, as andy says, you would HAVE to drill the block. not worth the hassle matey.
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

sheppy wrote:
Andy F wrote:There,s no oil feed from the block for the turbo for starters.....
Its a big no no matey

oh yeah, as andy says, you would HAVE to drill the block. not worth the hassle matey.

You could use another source, as long as its a pressure feed from the pump your fine.

Its not really worth the effort due to the higher compression - you'd be restricted on the boost you could run and not really a worth while project.

Nathan
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

got a cheap 3sgte block here in great condition, if you need to source one
JJ

Post by JJ »

Think the main issue I see if fuelling and the wiring...

Fuelling :

3SGE uses top feed... can't remember the size or the static fuel pressure... its been a while. These are high impedance too.. no resistor ballast needed.... The GTE uses sidefeeds with low impedance... ! Resistor packs needed.

Now you wouldn't be a million miles off getting a GTE head as I dont beleive the inlet on the turbo will fit the na.. I've never tried it... but for the hassle... souce a turbo head... then fuel rails etc will all fit...

As mentioned .. oil feed being an issue... for you to drill into the main oil feed galley.. the entire lots got to come apart at risk of swarf.. which means hard earned effort of building a short lived engine.... Needs to be stripped and cleaned !

Compression.. not too much an issue.. can get hold of some low compression pistons.. I even have some which will fit with donations... but... oil sprays not fitted to the GE either...

In summary... buy a 3SGTE... its far easier !! Yes I know its additional money..... but at least if you just get the long block... you've the ancillaries to fit !!

Wiring loom... important. Source a rev 3. if you can and oyu can fit all the rev 3 bits too ! :thumleft:
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

JJ wrote:oil sprays not fitted to the GE either...

tut tut JJ, oil sprays are present on the NA, well they have been on the 3 NA engines ive stripped :D
JJ

Post by JJ »

tut tut JJ, oil sprays are present on the NA, well they have been on the 3 NA engines ive stripped

Bawls... error on the wrong info.. Cheers dale... its the 2JZ(GE) thats not fitted with a spray rail I'm sure ! :-$
Tomm

Post by Tomm »

A right thanks for that!

i was unaware that the oil feed was taken from the block! On my previous cars i have taken it from the sump and thought it was the same on the GTE engine aswell!

I suppose i will have to wait untill summer time wen i can et my engine done!

Thanks!

Return to “Modifications”