[Mk2] [Turbo] Tyres: Hankook RS2's?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Turbo97

[Mk2] [Turbo] Tyres: Hankook RS2's?

Post by Turbo97 »

Guys has anyone any experience using Hankook RS2 tyres on there MR before?

They are a track based set up tyre, similar to the R888 but alot cheaper. I'd be interested to hear of any experiences with them. I got them as a recommendation, but i'd like to hear stories before i commit. I regard the tyres as one of the most important factors, especially with a car like an mr2 turbo!

I'd be really keen to try them out but, a bit nervous whether to jump in for them or go for something tried n tested like Eagle F1's or Falken 452's.

Cheers :)
Extubby

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Tyres: Hankook RS2's?

Post by Extubby »

I will be getting these when I need to change tyres which won't be long. Heard nothing but good reviews on them. Not many MR2 owners have them yet.
Apexi Induction, Gutted Cat, Departure Exhaust, Magnecor Leads, St205 cc, Blitz ebc.
Carbotech pads.
Turbo97

Post by Turbo97 »

Glad to hear the good reviews! mainly i want something that will be relatively safe in the wet! Current tyres yeild no confidence whatsoever!!! Even when going slow!!! :O

Think i'm gonna jump in and go for it! Think they are a happy medium between R888's and goodyear F1's! And for that money.....you REALLY cant go wrong!!! :clap:
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

let us know how you get on :thumleft:
steve b

Post by steve b »

Very good rating int he MX5 world.
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

Im also interested.

Do you think they will be ok just going on the back? My T1Rs are fine on the front, still plenty of wear, but the backs are almost out (whoops!).

If not Ill try out Fk452s.
Extubby

Post by Extubby »

Yeah they will be fine.
Apexi Induction, Gutted Cat, Departure Exhaust, Magnecor Leads, St205 cc, Blitz ebc.
Carbotech pads.
JJ

Post by JJ »

RobCrezz wrote:Im also interested.

Do you think they will be ok just going on the back? My T1Rs are fine on the front, still plenty of wear, but the backs are almost out (whoops!).

Both them tyres you've mentioned there Rob I've not rated them very good at all. The T1R's I've especially been dissapointed with as I expected similar levels to the good year F1's...

I dont believe theres a better tyre out there than the good years, keen to hear feedback on the hancook as I'll be plunging into R888's on the rear otherwise... even if we do get rain in this country ! :mrgreen:
Turbo97

Post by Turbo97 »

Ok i'll get the card out and report back here in a wee while time to see how good they are!

Keep an eye out in a few weeks peeps...im offshore just now so wont be on the car for a couple weeks :thumleft:
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

Turbo97 wrote:Ok i'll get the card out and report back here in a wee while time to see how good they are!

Keep an eye out in a few weeks peeps...im offshore just now so wont be on the car for a couple weeks :thumleft:

great timing with the the snow coming in lol
Turbo97

Post by Turbo97 »

Luckily im out in the north sea so i dont have to worry about cars and snow just now :D

But oh my god its cold out here!!!!!!!!! :pale:
Ayrton

Post by Ayrton »

I've got RS2s on my tubby.
I've done a ring trip & a few track days on the same set & they still have about 1/2 the tread left.
Used R888s before but they only lasted about 2 full on track days :shock:
The RS2s grip probably 90% as well but come with the full 8mm of tread so last longer & are ok in the wet as well.
Mine's pretty much only a track car so not sure what they'd be like on a cold icy morning in Feb.
Got them from Camskill for a reasonable price.
:thumleft:
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

RobCrezz wrote:Im also interested.

If they're grippier than the T1-Rs, you'll end up with some understeer - you'll notice this most in normal driving when you're going around tight turns on damp surfaces ( eg roundabouts ) at low speed.

Ideally, you should swap all four to keep the balance right - perhaps get the rears now, and then the fronts sooner if the understeer is particularly bad?
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

I got the Falken 452s on the back in the end, and really please with them, noticeably more grip than the previous T1Rs not as noisy either. Doesnt seem like its upset the balance of the car, in fact I like that the rear has more grip and the front isnt understeering so its quite nice.

I reckon ill change the fronts to 452s when they are more worn. :thumleft:
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

I've got FK452's on the family Saloon and although with wide alloys it hasn't got the power to light them up or move around much ... they've been good in wet ( and snowy) conditions - currently have over 25k miles on them and are about 1/2 worn. I'd certainly buy them again :+:
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

BenF wrote:I've got FK452's on the family Saloon and although with wide alloys it hasn't got the power to light them up or move around much ... they've been good in wet ( and snowy) conditions - currently have over 25k miles on them and are about 1/2 worn. I'd certainly buy them again :+:

Yeah, I previously always went with T1R toyos, but Im really impressed with these.
Extubby

Post by Extubby »

Ordered my fronts yesterday(RS2 Hankooks). Will have to finish my wheel refurb before fitting but will let you know what there like.
Carbotech pads.
Turbo97

Post by Turbo97 »

Yup i got the RS2's put on my new Rota's and i ahve to say so far i am extremely impressed!!!! Dry conditions, cant fault them in the slightest, damp conditions have been absolutely spot on, even get grip with 2nd gear when boost kicks in, roundabouts arent nearly as problematic......iv only had one extremely wet day, but there was loads of standing water.....so i dont think any tyre would have coped!

So overall i am SERIOUSLY impressed and i will defo be going for them again! such a good looking tread pattern aswell!!!! Look the dogs :D
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

excellent news. I may be going uniroyal rainsport2 next time out but it's a neck and neck with the RS2's :mrgreen:
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

Interesting, not considered the RS2's after a bad experience with another modelof Hankook, definately going to try the Kumho V70's tho I've heard nothing but good things about those! And they're pretty well priced too :D

Return to “Mechanical”