engine loom removal - help me, pleeeeeease

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

russthedude

engine loom removal - help me, pleeeeeease

Post by russthedude »

i've almost got it out, its just the last bit that goes around near the exhaust manifold i'm stuck with. how do i get this bit disconnected? i tried taking the manifold off but that's likely to end in disaster and broken knuckles so i walked away and counted to ten.
Kieran Williams

Re: engine loom removal - help me, pleeeeeease

Post by Kieran Williams »

Russ, can you put a pic up and show the bit you mean, there are a couple of sensors you cant quite see from the top, sorry to ask a daft question but have you looked from underneath? :?

Ki
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

Are you talking about the starter motor wires? One of them is held onto one of the terminals with a nut which you can only access by unbolting the starter. Only other thing in that area I can think of off hand is the oil pressure sender which is a pretty simple slide on connector.
russthedude

Post by russthedude »

i've tried looking from underneath but can't see it, theres one bit which goes to the starter yep, but the other bit seems to go underneath the exhaust manifold to the back of the engine. i can't see if the other side. i've put my hand in but can't feel a connector but can't get my hand all the way in because of the manifold. toyota like to put nuts in stupid places you can't reach don't they? such as under the tvis, what an ar$e ache that was getting those out!
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

That sounds like the oil pressure sender then. There are pics here:

http://www.twincam.info/index.php?showtopic=25098

The connector is a small black plastic bit which clips onto the nipple in the middle of the sender, to release it you need to slide it off towards the cable (ie if you pulled on the wire it'd be the right direction to release the connector however don't do that becuase you risk breaking the wire) - hop e that's explained ok

Once you know where you're reaching it's pretty easy to reach around the manifold/dizzy to get to it from above.
russthedude

Post by russthedude »

update: it's the starter motor. i can feel the one with a push clip but can't slide it off. i can't getthe exhaust manifold off 'cos the bolts are just too damn rusty. it looks like i need to get the jack back out and go in from underneath, which i hate doing 'cos i feel like i'm about to die. anyone know what size the nuts are that hold the starter on? i like a challenge and might have a go at getting it off from above by sitting in the engine bay
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

You shouldn't need to touch the manifold, starter motor bolts can be got at from underneath (12mm I think possibly 14, they go through the gearbox housing/block and into the end of the starter) then you can move it enough to get to the terminal.
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

yes they are 14mm quite long bolts that can be removed from underneath.
you`ve got a pm about the engine

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”