3 Piece Split Rim Refurb Options?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

JeffD

3 Piece Split Rim Refurb Options?

Post by JeffD »

Bought myself some Work Equip 3 piece split rims shown below that I'd like to get refurbed. Ideally I'd like to get the centres powder coated in Hyper silver and rather than get the outer rim polished and re-lacquered I want to have them powder coated with a finish called "chromatic" which is much more duarable and only slightly less shiny than mirror polishing.

Anyway, I'm guessing all of the above is hideously expensive and was just wondering whether it would save me anything to take them apart myself and then give them to a powder coater to do the 3 seperate pieces then re-assemble myself or is it not worth the messing for the amount saved? The only thing with the DIY option is I'm a bit worried about how they are to be sealed properly/what sealant should be used and what torque the studs should be done up to. Anyone done this sort of thing or had 3 piece split rims done professionally? I'm guessing to just hand wheels over and get done will be about £80 per wheell maybe more...

Suggestions welcome :-)

Extubby

Re: 3 Piece Split Rim Refurb Options?

Post by Extubby »

I am in the same boat as you. I have taken 1 of 4 apart and will be doing the others tonight. I will be polishing the outer lip myself and giving it a few good coats of laquer. The centres will be going to BJV wheel refurbers to be blasted and powder coated. The rear part of the wheel is just going to get a quick sand. Can't really see that the powder coating will be any more than £80 as there is not much to coat.
Apexi Induction, Gutted Cat, Departure Exhaust, Magnecor Leads, St205 cc, Blitz ebc.
Carbotech pads.
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Stick some pics up! :-)

WHat are you going to use to re-seal them and do you know what torque to do studs up to? Are you replacing studs?

I found reading this had a fe helpful ideas

http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/newbies/ ... -leak.html
JJ

Post by JJ »

Very difficult to get anyone interested in refurbing split rims due to them being sooo labour intensive !!
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Very difficult to get anyone interested in refurbing split rims due to them being sooo labour intensive !!
I agree, hence my plan - the mosty intensive labour part is undoing all those pesky studs! 128 in my case but if I do that for them and just present them with 3 pieces it shouldnt be any more work than normal then ill put them back together - just want to make sure I do it all safely - wouldnt want a massive leak like the equivalent of a blowout - might scaratch my wheels when I crash!!!
JJ

Post by JJ »

do you know what sealant / bonding is used between the faces ??!! i dont know if its better for those contact faces to be painted or leave them down to the metal ... painted adds protection opposed to a year down the line, the alloy corroding and effectively prising the faces apart ! :-k

I really need to lacquere mine hence why i'm contributing nothing to this thread... this time of year is murder to unprotected rims !! #-o
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

I was going to powder coat my outer rims with a powder coat finish called "chromatic" which looks like a miror finish but everyone says no - just thiought it would make it a nice all year round finish...
JJ

Post by JJ »

My rims when polished up look brilliant... but as mentioned.. unprotected means I'm having to clean them 2/3 times a week to keep the salt off them... its not just a quick wipe either... its a scrub !! :|

Worth it in the summer ! :mrgreen:
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Thats what I'm worried about - dont wannt very maintemcance wheels - got better things to do with life! LOL
Bry

Post by Bry »

Refurbed my old BBS LM's my self and the torque setting for the nuts/bolts were 18ftlbs.
Watch out OZ here I come !!
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Bry, where did you get torque setting from? Or did you work it out?
Bry

Post by Bry »

JeffD wrote:Bry, where did you get torque setting from? Or did you work it out?

America.
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

America
You copuldnt be a just a tiny bit more specific could you? America is quite a large place LOL

Web link etc....
vinnyninja

Post by vinnyninja »

as far as im aware guys if you laquer over mirror polished metal your laquer hasnt got anything to stick to ie when you key the area before painting .................

all will happnt is as soon as you get a stone chip or scuff your wheels ....water will get under the laquer and your back to were you began.......

the only way i can think of gettin a polished finish and laquering it after is to get the rim dimond cut insted of polishing

"example" (if you laquer over a shiny surface ie laquer/paint thats not key'd up before ......you can pick it of when dry with your fingernail..........

some one might prove me wrong? :thumleft:
Bry

Post by Bry »

JeffD wrote:
America

You copuldnt be a just a tiny bit more specific could you? America is quite a large place LOL

Web link etc....

Can't remember mate, it was a few years ago now :-k but the wheels were done about 3 years ago now and are fine. You could always ask these guys as I bought all new nuts and bolts from them so they may be able to give you an idea http://www.justmatz.co.uk/products.php?cat=22
JJ

Post by JJ »

vinnyninja wrote:the only way i can think of gettin a polished finish and laquering it after is to get the rim dimond cut insted of polishing

Good tip ! I'll just have to stick the winter wheels on for the time being !! :?
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Cheers for web link! :-)
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

Did you get these from RB wheels Jeff?

Might be worth popping them an email and asking for tips/torque etc as they refurbed mine.

You probably can't tell from the photos, but each little nut has "work" embossed on them :mrgreen:
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Yes - I think so - it was JDMAutohouse on ebay but it looks like thats the sam epeoiple as RB (more expensive on their website).
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

always worth a try :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”