[Mk2] [NA] perfect whee size

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tomm

[Mk2] [NA] perfect whee size

Post by Tomm »

i was thinking, what is the perfect size wheels for the MK2?

I have been looking through pictures and very few wheels seem to fill the mk2 arches well.

So what would be the best size and offset?

I am prepared for a bit of arch work. after looking at some photos 17" - 18" seems to fit well, and 9" seems to fit very nicley aswell.

Now i have found some Work Equips in 18x10 with a ET of +40 some thing, Now would this fit well or are they just a bit to big?

thanks a lot, Tomm
si2040

Re: [Mk2] [NA] perfect whee size

Post by si2040 »

If you want ride quality then stick with 15's or 16's. 17's give the bling but harsher ride and 18's I would say ouch and 19's don't bother unless you want a new back soon.
MR2 Night Fox
mattymr2

Post by mattymr2 »

16's give the best compromise between looks and handling.

ive got 17's on at the moment, they look awesome both front and bk have offsets of 35, fronts are 7.5 and rears are 8.5. they fill the arches perfectly. they grip really well (better than my 16's) because of the width of the tyres im running, but arent as precise or responsive and as fun as the 16's. you also have more feeling in regards to what the car is doing with 16's.

i'd go with 16's as they also give you a more comfortable ride due to the higer profile, and better overall handling due to more tyre wall.

this wheel calculater might be useful aswell.

http://mr2.gordaen.com/wt_calc.php

hth
8)

matt
steve b

Post by steve b »

Don't forget geometry. People go on about offsets and "filling arches", but geometry, people running different rear camber the same wheels can look totally different. I've been having a play with my rear geometry, I was running just under 1 degree negative, I cracked it over to full negative on my EZ bolts -1.75 wheels look like / \ bottom outside the arch, tops tucked well inside.

Bit of a laugh* -1.75 each side, wants to follow every camber and rut and spins up easily out of junctions, but it doesn't half feel sure footed round the bends if you throw the car in :D

*note, it is "just to see" I don't recommend this, got to take it to WIM.
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

18 x 10, all round? Forget it for the front.

Depends what suspension you have to what may fit. If you have coilovers a common size is 8 and 9" et 35 offset for a flsuh to arch fit. If you have standard supenders, you can probably go another 0.5" on both with around et 40 offset to get it near flush to the arches.

You could consider different sizes front to back too, 16 front and 17" rear for example.
Tomm

Post by Tomm »

thanks for the replies.

The wheels i was considering were 18x10 on the rears and 18x9 on the front both with a offset of +45. I am aso running JIC coilovers front and rear.

Yes leroy i have thought about stagering the fronts and rears with the 18>17 or 17>16 but my car isnt being built to be thrashed around a track, so handling isnt really a major facrot, as long as it can get me to uni in the morning i am not to fussed!

i just dont particualy want a majorly huge arch gap, After readeing through ED38 i have go a bit of OCD with arch gaps, I think i will have totry a few on with diffrent variations on the old coilovers and see what i like best!

Do thanks for the pointers, I had sort of canceled 16" out of the picture completely till it was mentioned above!
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

I meant staggering the fronts and rears for cosmetic purposes not performance :mrgreen:

With coilovers you won't fit those sizes by a long way. If you want flush, and when I say flush I mean 100% flush, then 8 and 9 et 35 is your best bet. Its tried and tested. This gives about 5mm clearance at the front (to the strut), and a bit more at the rear. The higher the offset, the further inwards the wheels will sit = less clearance.

Note, camber will affect the exact flushness, I have my fronts slightly over the stock camber limit (-ve) so they're bang on.

Return to “Modifications”