new ownwer...dumb questions, wanna help?

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

g14nnh

new ownwer...dumb questions, wanna help?

Post by g14nnh »

just got a mk2 93 uk spec, wanna stick some jbl gto 6x9s inside (had them in last car and considering it was just a pansonic head unit on its own they sounded great and was good quality) will these work fine and will the people i get to install them have any probs? i hear they have seperate amps or summin? anybody out there used these in there mr2 :roll:

any help on offer? cheers :-k
Tallbloke

Re: new ownwer...dumb questions, wanna help?

Post by Tallbloke »

#-o 6x9's #-o Lax flower strikes again......

Dude best setup in a MR2 is good front components (ie focals)
A sub and disconnect the rears. your ears are designed to pick up sound to your front, hense the goo front speakers. It this reason you dont need or want the rears. Bass is undirectional and therefore can come from anywhere.

As for mounting the 6x9's I have no idea. Maybe in the little boxes behind the seats?

Seriously tho dude sell them on ebay and get some good speakers & a amp to run them.

Oh and check out www.talkaudio.co.uk for more info (like why 6x9's are not used in any compotetion winning install) & deals - ie second hand good quality stuff is better than new crappy stuff.

Chris
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

I'm moving this to Ice and security as you'll likely get more replies there.

cheers,

Lauren
g14nnh

Post by g14nnh »

that would be the most sensible idea wouldnt it... lol just started using this site and need to remember what should be put where :oops:

cheers tho
Ian Geary

Post by Ian Geary »

6 x 9 have the advantage they're cheap and easy to fit. If you don't want to mess with the interior you can whip out the cubby hole lids (these unsrew) and made an MDF panel to fit there instead.

Cutting a 6 x 9 hole in top and bobs your uncle, plus run the wires from your head unit down under the central trim (4 screws to remove this I recall).

They have the disadvantage that they sound a bit naff. :(

I had them in my Golf's parcel tray, and they kicked out a lot of sound. But I believe these speakers need a lot of air to move to create this sound, and they just don't get it in the cubby holes.

I've fitted a set of Infinity 6 x 9s in my MR2, and they're nowhere near as good as I remember from my last car (same head unit).

The seat muffles the trbble, and the bass is more boomy than deep - theres just no resenence there. I've tried amping them, but it didn't improve things - just made the bad-ish sound quality "louder" rather than better.

Now I've got a 450w 12" sub in my other car, and you can feel the bass and it makes the rear boot vibrate (I don't know why, but I find this cool).

I would therefore recommend to get a sub in there somehow (8" should go in OK), and to save your energy from fitting the 6 x 9s.

As for the front - I bought a set of Infinity 16.5cs and these are damn good. Punchy bass and crystal treble. Not too hard to fit either.

Do a search in this forum for "subs", "bass" or "6 x 9" etc should bring up loads of views, pictures and of course opinions.

hth

Ian
g14nnh

Post by g14nnh »

thanks for heads up ian, dunno if ill go to the extent of dropping a sub in the back... (stil never say never eh :wink: ) somebody mentioned doing the focals to me, it dont have to be banging loud just a reasonale quality with the chance to be loudish when a tune comes on lol!!! ill check that site tho mate..thanks
Tallbloke

Post by Tallbloke »

Well a 8" should fit in a 2 as I've got a 12" in there.

Seriously go over to www.talkaudio.co.uk and have a look what the member on there have for sale.

Ian sorry if this sounds bad but infinities are like sony..... pap.

Seriously 2nd good stuff will always be better than new crappy stuff.

Chris
Valentino MR2

Post by Valentino MR2 »

Tallbloke wrote:
Ian sorry if this sounds bad but infinities are like sony..... pap.

I would disagree with you there, I had a set of Infinity Kappa comps in my old car and they were amazing as long as you give them a nice chunk of amplifier!
Unless you are just talking about their 6x9's as i've never heard a set
Ian Geary

Post by Ian Geary »

I've got infinity Kappa components up front, and IMO they are decent kit. I chose them mainly because of the reviews on the "old" IMOC site, and that they drop straight into the doors. There is a lot of choice around the £150 - £250 range for components though, so choosing is going to be a bit subjective.

The rear I've got Infinity 6 x 9, which were cheap at £50. Now these are pap, but in a standard hatchback parcel tray I'm sure they'd be better than the factory rubbish any day.

Ian

Return to “ICE and Security”