Anyone fancy helping do autocross event?

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ilogik

Anyone fancy helping do autocross event?

Post by ilogik »

Basically race against the clock, on a coned marked course, from what I have seen some are just quick time courses, whilst others are more of a routine. Maybe do a fun event for mr2's of all mk's.

General idea behind this is something cheap, not to hard wearing on the car like track days, all you will hit is cones, and it concentrates more on handling than it does speed so would be much more technical. It also opens up motor-sport to people who want to take part.

Venues would require a big open space and a lot of cones :p So if anyone has any recommendations. Was toying with Long Marston airfield, bruntingthorp? somewhere central in the UK.

I know there was a toyota sprint series, as well as MR2 challenge, but would be nice to get something going for a more road going driver who wants to take part ins omething that is not as expensive or as hard wearing on the car.

Any input help would be great.
mr2mk1chick

Re: Anyone fancy helping do autocross event?

Post by mr2mk1chick »

Have you been to any autocross events with your MK2?

I guess the reason why there hasn't been an mr2 autocross is due to numbers to make it cost effective.

Are you looking at organising a single event for mr2s?
ilogik

Post by ilogik »

mr2mk1chick wrote:Have you been to any autocross events with your MK2?

I guess the reason why there hasn't been an mr2 autocross is due to numbers to make it cost effective.

Are you looking at organising a single event for mr2s?

not been to an autocross event before, done couple of sprint days. Having watched few videos from america it looks like a course and some times a trials course. But always against the clock.

Have had interest on the oc as well as mr2roc, so people are deffo interested, as to weather it could become as series I don't know, but would deffo like to set up some sort of day we can all take part in.

Main thing is something close to the Midlands, cheap and no strict guidelines to gear.
AAB

Post by AAB »

Autocross in the UK mostly seems to be grass field stuff. I think it would be good to have something airfield/waste ground based. I think it would involve a fair amount of legal work though- public indemnity insurance and stuff like that, probably IOPD licenses for entrants etc.
ilogik

Post by ilogik »

AAB wrote:Autocross in the UK mostly seems to be grass field stuff. I think it would be good to have something airfield/waste ground based. I think it would involve a fair amount of legal work though- public indemnity insurance and stuff like that, probably IOPD licenses for entrants etc.

If it wasn't a proper event, just an mr2 run event for the drivers, personal accident can be covered by signing a disclaimer saying drive at your own risk and not to go beyond your driving ability. Would pretty much just be a course marked out drive against the clock, see how it goes, then later in the day change the course and what has to be done. Could be fun.
hoagy5

Post by hoagy5 »

The Bristol Pegasus club was running events at strensham services (where M50 meets M5) last year, I think it was in a carpark behind.

Your local motor club probably runs events like this, you could go along and see how it is run, and what possible venues there are etc?

I would be interested in some autocross as well!

Cheers, Rich
ilogik

Post by ilogik »

looking at the UK version of autocross it seems to be like rallye run on a dirt track, and autotrials is run in small areas but where the yank version focuses on more of track, auto test in the uk is like stunt driving.

Id like to follow the US style.
hoagy5

Post by hoagy5 »

You mean autosolo's

here is a link.

http://www.fdmc.org.uk/autosolos.php
ilogik

Post by ilogik »

hoagy5 wrote:You mean autosolo's

here is a link.

http://www.fdmc.org.uk/autosolos.php
dude i love you cheers for that link.
System-G

Post by System-G »

Why not have a go at the Toyota Sprint?
It's really good fun, but less handbraking & J-Turns etc...
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
ilogik

Post by ilogik »

System-G wrote:Why not have a go at the Toyota Sprint?
it all pretty far away if i remember rightly.
System-G

Post by System-G »

ilogik wrote:
System-G wrote:Why not have a go at the Toyota Sprint?
it all pretty far away if i remember rightly.

Not wrong there, but most circuits and airfields used for motorsport venues are going to be some distance away.

Just remembered that Rugby Motor Club puts on various autocross/autotest/autosolo/grass auto testing type events quite regularly. The go for full championships in some cases, but anyone can enter and it's great fun.

A few of us from IMNOC did some grass autotesting in our MK1s a couple of years ago and couldn't stop laughing all evening :mrgreen:

Thread
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... +auto+test

Videos:
http://www.luckymonkey.co.uk/mr2/grass-autotesting/33
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

System-G wrote:Just remembered that Rugby Motor Club puts on various autocross/autotest/autosolo/grass auto testing type events quite regularly. The go for full championships in some cases, but anyone can enter and it's great fun.

Try Nuneaton Motor club on face book - they were trying to get some autosolo stuff off the ground

If you are trying to do an mr2 day, then book bruntingthorpe (leics)maybe. I think they do private hire. you would maybe need to liase with their trackday peeps to see if they could run somehting for you, as you would need cones, marshalls etc.
omracing

Post by omracing »

Most people have beaten me to it. The Americas use the same words as us in the UK, but normally their events mean something completely different.

Autograss is rough, I used to race a Mini down South and it was a car killer, although fantastic fun :lol:

If you want racing around cones, but at speed then its definately Autosolo you want, there is someone on the forum that already competes quite successfully in a Mk1, from what I remember.
Red MR2 Mk1a - Rose SOLD
Blue MR2 SC conversion 180 bhp - Lightning
WillJohnson

Post by WillJohnson »

AutoSolos - a brief history (and why the confusion with Autocross!)
No need to pay attention, I won't be asking questions!

As already pointed out, it is the US-Style "Autocross" events that are being discussed here. These are a little like an all-forward Autotest with less complex courses which to not have to be walked and memorised before you drive them.

These new-style events were name "AutoSolos" because Autocross already existed as a motorsport discipline in the UK - a little like Rallycross at temporary venues (OK, fields) without the tarmac bits.

Various UK clubs associated with the BTRDA (British Trials and Rally Drivers Association) have been trying to promote these for the last few years. They are an ideal way to have a go at a form of motorsport in a road vehicle - in fact the rules specify that you must drive the car to the event and therefore must be Taxed and MOT'd. The Mk1 MR2 has already proven itself competitive - it would be interesting to see how it would stack up against a well-pedalled Mk2.

In last couple of years the BTRDA have launched a national AutoSolo beginners series. It is hoped that wome people doing well in this, will progress into Autotests or other forms of motorsport.

I am sure they would be delighted to hear from you and see a contingent of MR2s out there. The Warwickshire Drivers event is run at a truckstop near Daventry so that one at least is very central.

See www.btrda.com, www.btrda.com/autosolo , www.gomotorsport.net

Cheers JOHN
MR2 Mk2 #77
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

omracing wrote:Autograss is rough, I used to race a Mini down South and it was a car killer, although fantastic fun :lol:

Yup! the grass one we did was ACE fun in the MK1, but a real killer on the stiff track suspension we had on :roll:
I bounced so hard once, that my ar$e came right off the seat - big air! :shock:
mosguido

Post by mosguido »

The grass autotest was well fun, tho my clutch did get a right cooking that day :D
ahh good days, cant wait to get my current mk1 going again... seems so long since ive driven it now!
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

mosguido wrote:The grass autotest was well fun, tho my clutch did get a right cooking that day :D
ahh good days, cant wait to get my current mk1 going again... seems so long since ive driven it now!

Well HI there \:D/
long time no see. wondered whether your car was on the road.
I remember that lovely smell of fried clutch :(

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”