[Mk2] [NA] Gearbox filler & drain bolts/washers: Where from? + rounded drain bolt :(

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

RobPhoboS

[Mk2] [NA] Gearbox filler & drain bolts/washers: Where from? + rounded drain bolt :(

Post by RobPhoboS »

As the lengthy title suggests !
I was just trying to give the car some nice new oil today, popped the car on the axel stands, took the wheel off, undid the filler bolt, went to undo the drainage bolt...brand new halfrauds 'pro' socket started rounding the bolt head.
:roll:
So I went back to halfrauds, got a proper six sided socket, and tried again , still uber stiff and won't budge, and the bolt head looks a lot worse ! :oops:

So now I'm going to need 2 new bolts and washers anyway, IF I can get the bloody drainage one out.

So my 2 questions:

Where can I get the new bolts and washers (quickly as possible) ?

If this drainage bolt is rounded, what ways can I remove it without damaging the car ?

#-o
JohnnyC

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Gearbox filler & drain bolts/washers: Where from? + rounded drain bolt :(

Post by JohnnyC »

For new bolts you could try Halfords - or do they only do sump plugs?

If that fails, then your local Toyota dealership - it'll take 2 days for them to get the part in though.
RobPhoboS

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Gearbox filler & drain bolts/washers: Where from? + rounded drain bolt :(

Post by RobPhoboS »

Hmm, looks like it'll have to be bloody Toyota then !
(at least I can tighten the filler plug up again though).

As for getting the drainage one off, anyone have ideas?
Baker

Post by Baker »

try mole grips, if not that hammer a screwdriver in it if you've got a new bolt ready.
chron

Post by chron »

get yourself a set of these. irwin bolt grips
RobPhoboS

Post by RobPhoboS »

chron wrote:get yourself a set of these. irwin bolt grips

Yep, thats something worth having I think.
Will try and find someone today.

:thumleft:
Canopus

Post by Canopus »

I had the same trouble and took my car to quick fit to see if they could help. They heated the bolt with a welding torch to break the corrosion seal, which made me a bit nervous, but it came out easy. Even did it for no charge although I gave the guy £5 for his trouble.

Just a thought although watch it if the weather very cold as metal gets fragile at low temperatures.

Geoff
RobPhoboS

Post by RobPhoboS »

Canopus wrote:I had the same trouble and took my car to quick fit to see if they could help. They heated the bolt with a welding torch to break the corrosion seal, which made me a bit nervous, but it came out easy. Even did it for no charge although I gave the guy £5 for his trouble.

Just a thought although watch it if the weather very cold as metal gets fragile at low temperatures.

Geoff

When a spare car comes back, I'm going to head out to buy a blow torch, will take a bit longer I guess but same thing.
Heat is the only way I can think of doing this !
RobPhoboS

Post by RobPhoboS »

Huzaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Blow Torch + Mole Grips + Gentle Hammer Tapping = Bolt Free !!!!

I'm not sure the blow torch I bought really did much at all but I'd like to think it helped (handy for lighting cigars like hanibal now :D )

Cheers for all the tips and info :)

:thumleft:

Return to “Mechanical”