[Mk2] [Turbo] !!!!cat problems!!!!

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

honda_crf_04

[Mk2] [Turbo] !!!!cat problems!!!!

Post by honda_crf_04 »

took my mr2 turbo to the garage today to have the cat gutted.came back four hours later and they've snapped bolts where it bolts on the turbo and the exhaust and cant get the cat of.now there saying that the turbo will have to come of,will it need to?i thought you ither heat the bolts or oil them and they come of no problem,but i supose this isnt the case and now is going to cost me alot more than what he quoted me :(

any infomation on this will be great.
Last edited by honda_crf_04 on Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
honda_crf_04

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] cat issues

Post by honda_crf_04 »

bump!
Alteran

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] !!!!cat problems!!!!

Post by Alteran »

I work in a main dealer garage myself and have done for years. If when un-doing a nut or bolt and it's tight coming out, the general rule is to heat it up with the oxygen/acetylene bottles. To just turn a nut or bolt to the point where it snaps is quite unprofessional. You get a feel when working with the same machines/equipment for a long time to know that it's going to snap. Plus any nuts or bolts in or around the turbo/exhaust area, extra care is taken due to the heat they suffer. Anybody in the trade will know these will be prone to snapping and should use heat. Ocassionally using heat may strip the stud or bolt thread but this only occurs if too much heat is applied. You get to know how much to use. Thats the difference between a 'mechanic' and a 'technician'!

The turbo might not need to come off but i can't be certain as i haven't seen the car. Remembering back, as i gutted the Cat on my turbo a few years ago, there are only four bolts (Or nuts..) that hold the Cat to the turbo. They are quite accessable so it should be reasonably easy to drill out or re-stud. Maybe your garage is thinking worst case scenario. Or with the current climate, trying to generate extra work.

I hope this helps and you get the problem resolved.

Regards,

Liam.
honda_crf_04

cat

Post by honda_crf_04 »

cheers mate the only reason i used the guy is because my mate got his cat done yesterday from the same bloke but he only managed to sheer of 1 nut,but when the bloke was working on his car it was hot due to the fact he was driving it around befor,when he was working on my car it was cold.we both agreed a price of £50 to do the job but because he snaped the bolts or nuts i have to pay more is this right?

regards.
ForMySin

Post by ForMySin »

Normally in most industries the phrase is "you break it, you replace it." But as the man above says a good mechanic would normally allow for that possibility and build it into the price.

Cos removing a cat on an mr2 can be a real PITA most mechanics tut really loudly and hate to even touch em.... (my experience anyway) and quote through the nose hoping to lose the business lol...
If you are in full control you aren't driving fast enough- Stirling Moss
honda_crf_04

Post by honda_crf_04 »

went and saw the bloke again today and he says there is no way he can get the bolts of to get the cat of.so now he says the turbo and manifold has got to come of.what gaskets and seals will need replaceing if any?and is this a straight foward job or is a a tricky 1?

cheers for the help :thumleft:
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

I think you should find a better mechanic :whistle: :?
honda_crf_04

Post by honda_crf_04 »

good news got the 2 back today :D managed to get the cat of drill the snap bolts out and re-tap the threads apart from one on the turbo,but he esures me that it wont blow.
quite abit of diference pulls harder in gear speed,but wouldent say it spools up any quicker,still get full boost at about 3500rpm.
but the best bit is the loud poping and the odd lick of flame 8)

Return to “Mechanical”