[Mk2] [Generic] Suspension options

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

steve b

[Mk2] [Generic] Suspension options

Post by steve b »

Bilstein Yellow MR2T Struts £499 (camskills)

Tein Super Streets with upper mounts £812 (camskills)

KYB 365000 Series Excel-G Shockers whole strut in pic £265 (Camskills)

Eibach Springs -25/30mm rate ?? £171 (camskills)

Tein Tech S -37mm/-38mm rate 140lb/269lb £161 (camskills)

Apex -30mm rate ?? £127 (camskills)

AVO -10mm rate ?? £95 (camskills)

Koni Inserts £400+vat (fensport)

KYB inserts £224+vat (fensport)

Tein Super street rate 168lb/280lbs £760+vat (fensport)

Tein Tech S 140lb/269lb £150+vat (fensport)

Fensport Progressive springs -20mm £120+vat (fensport)

Fensport Progressive springs -30mm £120+vat (fensport)

TRD topmounts £160+vat (fensport)

Yellow B6 Bilstein struts £500 (Rogue)

D2 Coilovers Inc Topmounts £642 (Japshop)

K Sport -T022 Coilovers Inc Topmounts £739 (EPR)

HKS SF-S Street Suspension Spring Set £259 (Temple Tuning)

Genuine Toyota Struts £230 (TCB)

Genuine Toyota / Bilstein Struts £535 (TCB)

Koni Sport kit, springs & dampers (waiting for detail and if they are produced from Koni).

So these are the options it appears, I can't find a price for the "rebuildable bits" you need for strut inserts.

Quite a range of prices...

I *think* my cars on -30mm Fensport springs & stock non-rebuildable dampers, stock top mounts. Its about 10mm too low and ride is poor.

I want to replace raised 10mm on what it is so about a 20mm drop off stock rev3 height. I want a better ride, its a bumpy B road daily driver.

I'm not totally agains uprated ARB's if I have them to counter having softer than average springs.

From my MX5 experience, its far better to have matched springs & dampers, it appears hadly any spring rate info appears on after market stuff bar the Teins.

Anyone know what OEM spring rates are?

Do people have opinions good or bad on any bits listed or used in conjunction with each other.

I'd like the most cost effective solution.
Last edited by steve b on Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
mattcambs

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Suspension options

Post by mattcambs »

KYB inserts with stock springs if you want the best ride quality :thumleft:

Although Super Streets on the softest setting are only a bit stiffer and of course you can adjust the ride height.
steve b

Post by steve b »

mattcambs wrote:KYB inserts with stock springs if you want the best ride quality :thumleft:

Although Super Streets on the softest setting are only a bit stiffer and of course you can adjust the ride height.

I'm thinking of possibly the OEM toyota struts (I think they are kyb) and some sort of lowering spring. I've just been reading the US forums and stock spring rates are :-

F: 130lb/in. linear
R: 210lb/in. linear

So by the sounds of it Tein Tech S would be ideal just a bit stiffer if they didn't give such a big drop :( Its a shame the OEM sturts are he shape they are as if they were more "coilover" (as in racing type) then I could have probably got a space made to raise them back up a bit.
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
ci_newman

Post by ci_newman »

mattcambs wrote:KYB inserts with stock springs if you want the best ride quality :thumleft:

This isn't an option for those with a rev 3+ is it? I thought complete units (Like the yellow billies) were the only option for replacing the shocks?
steve b

Post by steve b »

Oh, is it age related if you have rebuildable struts or not? I thought it was a more UKDM or JDM thing?

mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

You could source some 2nd hand re-buildable struts and fit new inserts. A few people have done this on Rev3s, I believe :thumleft:

2 options for new shocks (non re-buildable):
Yellow B6 shocks (~ £500)
Toyota standard spec (~ £300)

And, DO NOT, repeat, DO NOT get Tein S tech springs if you want good ride quality. Ask anyone on here with them on their car and they will tell you how bone-shatteringly firm they are on non-perfect (i.e. UK) roads. They do give awesome handling on smooth roads, though.
ci_newman

Post by ci_newman »

I've got some play in my top-mounts so will be replacing them with some TRD's if Fensport ever get them in stock - The shocks have seen better days and it makes sense to replace them at the same time but I need to decide what with :mrgreen:

My suspension is still my rev3 N/A set-up so replacing it just with standard Toyota stuff will probably show as a huge improvement but I'd like to drop the ride height slightly which obviously means new springs too.
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

ci_newman wrote:I've got some play in my top-mounts so will be replacing them with some TRD's if Fensport ever get them in stock.

Fensport have rear TRD mounts in stock. Fronts will be in at the end of the month. It's just these that's holding me up getting it all fitted :cry:
ci_newman

Post by ci_newman »

mattcambs wrote:
ci_newman wrote:I've got some play in my top-mounts so will be replacing them with some TRD's if Fensport ever get them in stock.

Fensport have rear TRD mounts in stock. Fronts will be in at the end of the month. It's just these that's holding me up getting it all fitted :cry:

It's the fronts that need replacing :lol:
asdrewq

Post by asdrewq »

Im deciding on what shock inserts to go for on mine at the minute. Is it still financially worthwile importing them from the USA? The KYB ones seem pretty expensive for what they are over here, and brand new whole toyota struts arent much more...
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

I need to change my springs, they are just too low, the car bottoms out sometimes and is really crashy. I think they might be Fensport but need to check really, were put on before I bought the car.

I still want it to look lower than stock but would prefer a better ride. Which would be better? Some progressive springs?
steve b

Post by steve b »

Just had a response from AVO they don't know their spring rate but they said in general they make all their spring 25% stiffer than OEM. So in theory a good match for yellow 20% stiffer billies.

rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

I have experience of the toyota shocks and the yellow billies.
see this thread

If you are not going on track days the toyota shocks will do just fine considering how many pot holes and sunken/raised manhole covers and speed bumps there are on the uk roads these days.

The yellow billies are firmer than oem but might not last as long. My fronts only just lasted 5 years.

Now I have a mix of toyota shocks on the front with yellow billies on the rear. I cant say I am missing the yellow billies on the front so if the rears fail I will replace them with toyota shocks.
Marf

Post by Marf »

TCB list original Black Bilsteins if you wanted to stay with them :)

http://www.tcbparts.co.uk/suspension.htm
steve b

Post by steve b »

Thinking to keep cost down I may just go for the stock toyota struts, but spings i'm still stuck on. I don't want to go too low, the cars too low at present. Any one any experience with Apex, AVO or Eibach springs on stock struts?

steve b

Post by steve b »

Also does anyone have any side on pics of cars on stock suspension and 16" wheels, specifically rev 3, 4 & 5. Does anyone now if they vary in ride height/ springs? I wonder if there was a change around 94 as several of the aftermarket spring suppliers state 90 - 94.

mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

steve b wrote:Thinking to keep cost down I may just go for the stock toyota struts, but spings i'm still stuck on. I don't want to go too low, the cars too low at present.

So use stock springs :thumleft:
](*,)

steve b wrote:Any one any experience with Apex, AVO or Eibach springs on stock struts?

I had Eibachs with Black Billies on my last 2 and it was a bit bouncy, but not too bad.
steve b

Post by steve b »

mattcambs wrote:
So use stock springs :thumleft:

](*,)

If all stock springs give a ride height the same as rev2 UK ones then too high, trying to find out if any later ones are lower.

Ideally I want something thats half way between the rev2 stock height and what I have at present. So going on rev2 heights a genuine drop of 20mm. Trouble is a lot of springs you don't know if they base the drop on rev1 height (higher than rev2) or on rev2. Then some people fit springs and say "loads bigger drop than climed, others the opposite.

mattcambs wrote:
I had Eibachs with Black Billies on my last 2 and it was a bit bouncy, but not too bad.

Bouncy on black billies doesn't sound good as softer Toyota struts will mean even more bounce. :(

mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

No, bouncy compared to stock springs.
steve b

Post by steve b »

ok, another opition has come to light, I have found a place that claims to offer full adjustable koni struts and springs for £450. Anyone any experience? I've only seen the inserts elsewhere.

Return to “Modifications”