More starting problems

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SuperRedMR2

More starting problems

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

This is now happening with my second '2. My mk1a did this around the same time of year and now its happening to my mk1b.

Put the key in the ignition, the starter starts, but then doesnt disengage to let the engine turn over. I turn key onto off position and it still doesnt disengage but does after 5-10 seconds. Then start it first time. Alternatively I can keep the car pushed onto the start position and it does eventually start.

Im doing an oil change tomorrow (gonna freeze my nuts off!!) and i was going to clean up the earth on the starter motor. Could it be the actual unit or a dodgy earth?

This is the first time anything mechanical has started to go on my car now, its done 104k so i am awaiting malfunctions. Strangely it was the starter motor that went like this on my mk1a.

Any ideas?
cartledge_uk

Re: More starting problems

Post by cartledge_uk »

It could just be the starter gunking up, you could try whipping it off as your under there anyway and give it a good clean and WD40.

Its only 2 bolts and the the electrical conections, but it is a fidly job.

Keep an eye out for a spare just incase, so you can change it if needs be.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Cheer Tim,

My mate has a spare anyway. It is a fiddly job, especially if the zorst manifold still might be a bit toasty. Ive replaced one before, god that was a bu88er! Will give it a go!

Cheers
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

Common problem this time of year Alex, as far as im aware it doesnt do any harm, but try not to rev the car with it engaded otherwise you will burn it out. Also remember that if you do take the starter off the car to disconnect the battery first, the starter is wired to permanant live & has no changable fuse ( except a large thick wire in the harness burried under the wiring casing near the live terminal ) of which i dont think there is a buyable replacement. If you take the starter off you can manhandle it past the manifold & between the chassis & gearbox, quite fiddly to do, but it is do-able, thoroughly clean the bendix shaft & bendix itself, to do this you need to unwind the cog on the end of the shaft, this will reveal the bendix shaft, clean the shaft with a cloth, then if you have an old pencil lying around rub the (lead ) of the pencil up & down the shaft, graphite is self lubricating & unlike grease, wont get contaminated by dirt, also make sure that when you put the live terminal back onto the starter motor the trailing lead is facing the passenger side of the car, many a starter motor has had to come out again, the nut undone & the lead turned around due to the wire not reaching & the impossibilty to get the starter back in the hole, take your time over it & you should be fine mate, let us know how you get on, Jinx

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”