Delayed start?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MarcsMR2

Delayed start?

Post by MarcsMR2 »

Hi, over the last few days I've noticed there is a delay in starting the car.

Put the keys in, lights all come on as normal. Turn the key to the start position and keep it there....... nothing for about 5-10 seconds then as long as it's kept in the start position.... it starts.

Seems to be taking longer to start each time.

Shouldnt be cold as it's kept in the garage and will do this regardless of time of day.

Any suggestions would be welcome :)
Tony jinxy froude

Re: Delayed start?

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

Sounds like you have an earth problem to me, check all the earth connections in the engine bay, one of them bolts directly to the top of the thermostat housing, just out of curiosity, do the lights on the dash Dim when you hold the key over i.e as though its drawing current ?, a bit more info may help further, cheers, Jinxy
MarcsMR2

Lights dim..

Post by MarcsMR2 »

I'll have to check if they dim when the key is turned or when the engine starts to fire.
Tony jinxy froude

They will dim when the engine starts to fire anyway, what i want to know is what they do prior to the engine firing when the key is held over ?, cheers, Jinx
System-G

Post by System-G »

Tony jinxy froude wrote: what they do prior to the engine firing when the key is held over ?

Sorry Tony, don't understand what you mean here?

Do you mean when the key is turned to the "On" position, but not to "Start"?

Or physically holding the keys over something?
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
Tony jinxy froude

Hi Garrick, my response was to do with this
MarcsMR2 wrote:.

Put the keys in, lights all come on as normal. Turn the key to the start position and keep it there....... nothing for about 5-10 seconds then as long as it's kept in the start position.... it starts.

If there is a resistance being built up somewhere then by the lights dimming it would clarify this, however if the lights dont dim, then it would lead to a contact not being made at either the Starter motor or the ignition switch itself :thumleft: , Jinx
blue2

Post by blue2 »

Mines been doing this too lately, really annoying! I didnt think of a lose connection, ill take a look. I thought it may have been the immobiliser and the cold weather.
System-G

Post by System-G »

So you turn it to the "Start" position and nothing? Not even turning over or any solenoid clicking etc...?
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
MarcsMR2

Post by MarcsMR2 »

Right then been and tested this afternoon and....

Still the same turn the key and nothing but silence then after about 10 seconds with the key still turned, fires up.

the lights do dim when the key turned to start, then brighten back up before going dim when she tries to start.

So... where should I start the hunt?
Tony jinxy froude

Right, that tells me that there is resistance when you turn the key, that would mean that the ignition barrel is fine, it could be a sticky starter motor or bad earth, there is a switched earth on the starter motor, i think im right by saying its on a black plug on the solenoid, what you need to do is find out via a voltmeter & a friend, you connect the live of the volt meter to the live on the starter motor & the earth to the black plug, if when you turn the key it immediately registers on the meter, this would lead to a starter motor problem, quite common at this time of the year, especially when its cold & doesnt get used a lot. If you dont have a voltmeter, then a circuit tester with a bulb will do, be careful when near the starter, its permanantly connected to live & doesnt have its own fuse ( except the very large one in the harness near the terminal ) really hope this helps, cheers, Jinxy
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

does it start straight away when hot ?
Tony jinxy froude

Kev i know what your thinking :mrgreen: i thought it would be the starter relay, but as the lights dim when the key is held over it cant be, the starter relay wouldnt make that much draw on current & offer little in the way of resistance to dim the lights :thumleft: , Jinx

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”