I reset the Trip counter and the speedo stopped working

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tiny

I reset the Trip counter and the speedo stopped working

Post by Tiny »

As above basically filled up with fuel got back in the car as i was driving out the garage pressed the trip counter rest button and the speedo wasnt working. Going to london for new year and driving round london without a speedo soesnt sound like fun! also not sure even with a satnav displaying speed that its legal to drive without a speedo?

Any ideas of what to check first? :-k
WeirdNeville

Re: I reset the Trip counter and the speedo stopped working

Post by WeirdNeville »

It's not an offence to drive without a speedo. Sat nav is probably more accurate anyway. It is annoying though. I'd probably press the trip reset a few more times, then take the clocks out and have a poke around.
It's only 30 mins or so to take the cowling off and the clocks out, bit they are a sealed unit so I don't know how far you'd get. You could at least check the speedo cable is still connected properly at the back of the clocks.
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

press it in a few times they can stick if thee numbers dont return fully. you know where there is a spare :) what sort of mileage does it show? just in case.
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

well the instrument panel is fine had it out stuck a screwdriver in the drive slot and gave it a spin and its fine just really flukey coincidence that the speedo cable snapped at the same time.

Trying to find a new cable tomorrow could be interesting if none of the local motorfactors have them as i would imagine this is not an off the shelf item that toyota will have on the shelf either
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

Tiny wrote:well the instrument panel is fine had it out stuck a screwdriver in the drive slot and gave it a spin and its fine just really flukey coincidence that the speedo cable snapped at the same time.

Trying to find a new cable tomorrow could be interesting if none of the local motorfactors have them as i would imagine this is not an off the shelf item that toyota will have on the shelf either

the same person that seems to be offering you a speedo may just have a cable
if not try Jinxy
dead easy to replace just pull out the inner and slide new one in :lol:
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

you know it would be realy great if the bgb and the like said just pull out the inner and push the new one in #-o (he says after taking the old one out completely) #-o
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

Tiny wrote:you know it would be realy great if the bgb and the like said just pull out the inner and push the new one in #-o (he says after taking the old one out completely) #-o

it all comes out from the drive (transmition) end no need to remove the outer cable unless its damaged
OK you now know for next time :wink:
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

Well i found a nice jacking mark on the plastic trim beneath the cable and a nice kink in the outer sheath so no harm done and i have had an opportunity to learn how to fix another part of my car and get a really good look underneath it.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”