[Mk2] [Turbo] Greddy profec spec B clicking solonoid

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Bry

[Mk2] [Turbo] Greddy profec spec B clicking solonoid

Post by Bry »

Fitted the greddy EBC today and it all works fine except the solonoid clicks like mad when on boost and it's not a quiet clicking neither it's like I've got a very cold dwarf in my engine bay with chattering teeth :shock: :lol: I had one of these ebc's on my Silvia I never heard any clicking from that so I was wondering if there is anything I can do to stop it ? I'm gonna try giving it a better earth (earth it to the body) also when I fitted it to my Silvia I never used the little filter thingy that sits in the vacum line that feeds the controller the boost level but I am using it on the mr2 so I thought I'd try it without the filter? Will also check for any boost leaks to see if that's why the solonoid clicks like mad although I'll be surprised if it's a leak as it's going so well :?
Anyone got any ideas ? :D
Watch out OZ here I come !!
Ryan.g

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Greddy profec spec B clicking solonoid

Post by Ryan.g »

Boost solenoids work just like an injector in which a electromagnetic coil opens a valve, or with injectors it lifts the pintle off its seat when activated. The amount of time it is activated comes from the duty cycle set.
Duty cycle is the amount of time the coil is activated and deactivated. So if you set a 50% duty cycle it is activated and deactivated for an equal time in which it is open and closed. This is what causes the clicking noise you hear.

All boost solenoids do it but depending on the Pulse width modulation they work at it becomes more or less noticable.

I expect that is is mounted just somewhere where the sound is travelling through the metal and amplifling it. Most solenoids come with a Rubber mounts to damper the noise but i tend to mount the Profec B,AVCR, Mac valves etc by cable ties to the actuator pipes as many of my customers have got sick of the clicking when i have mounted them on the chassis with the Mac valves :mrgreen:

Hope that helps Bry

Ryan
Bry

Post by Bry »

Ryan.g wrote:Boost solenoids work just like an injector in which a electromagnetic coil opens a valve, or with injectors it lifts the pintle off its seat when activated. The amount of time it is activated comes from the duty cycle set.
Duty cycle is the amount of time the coil is activated and deactivated. So if you set a 50% duty cycle it is activated and deactivated for an equal time in which it is open and closed. This is what causes the clicking noise you hear.

All boost solenoids do it but depending on the Pulse width modulation they work at it becomes more or less noticable.

I expect that is is mounted just somewhere where the sound is travelling through the metal and amplifling it. Most solenoids come with a Rubber mounts to damper the noise but i tend to mount the Profec B,AVCR, Mac valves etc by cable ties to the actuator pipes as many of my customers have got sick of the clicking when i have mounted them on the chassis with the Mac valves :mrgreen:

Hope that helps Bry

Ryan

i think you're absolutely spot on about the sound travelling due to how it's mounted, I'll try cable ties and get back to you
Cheers
Moo

Post by Moo »

I originally mounted my solenoid where one of the x braces bolts onto the bulkhead. Bad idea as it amplified the sound and the clicking noise nearly drove me mad. Moved it to the hole on the bulkhead where the airbox used to bolt on and can't hear it at all now. That particular hole is a popular choice for mounting a solenoid if you've removed the airbox.

Bry

Post by Bry »

You were dead right, I moved the solonoid from where I had it and just cable tied it temporarily to a rubber hose and the clicking has gone \:D/
Thanks for the info :D
Bry

Post by Bry »

Moo wrote:I originally mounted my solenoid where one of the x braces bolts onto the bulkhead. Bad idea as it amplified the sound and the clicking noise nearly drove me mad. Moved it to the hole on the bulkhead where the airbox used to bolt on and can't hear it at all now. That particular hole is a popular choice for mounting a solenoid if you've removed the airbox.

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j93/M ... C00721.jpg

Still using stock intake so can't mount it there.

Return to “Modifications”