WEB SITE :- whats happening ?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

HT

Re: WEB SITE :- whats happening ?

Post by HT »

coverco wrote:I bet Kev wishes he had not asked the original question now :)

Thinknig about it I cannot understand why the question was asked by Kev as they share business interests, so maybe Kev would have known where to go for the answer assuming he attended the AGM? :-k
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

Tony jinxy froude wrote:
There is i believe a sticky at the top of the mk1 forum where you can pay your membership for the mk1 club via Paypal, this will be more obvious on the new forum, so will what you get for your membership :thumleft: , i'll talk to you more in person when i see you next :thumleft: , Jinxy

erm run by Vix so that needs an update too now #-o
coverco

Post by coverco »

HT wrote:
coverco wrote:I bet Kev wishes he had not asked the original question now :)

Thinknig about it I cannot understand why the question was asked by Kev as they share business interests, so maybe Kev would have known where to go for the answer assuming he attended the AGM? :-k

Obviously a distinct lack of communication within the club still exists :shock:
MartG

Post by MartG »

kevin..in wrote:
Tony jinxy froude wrote:
There is i believe a sticky at the top of the mk1 forum where you can pay your membership for the mk1 club via Paypal, this will be more obvious on the new forum, so will what you get for your membership :thumleft: , i'll talk to you more in person when i see you next :thumleft: , Jinxy

erm run by Vix so that needs an update too now #-o

And only for existing members IIRC, not for new folk to join up
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

Huw you are several years out of date. i have not done any work with tony for at least 2 years. the distances between us meant it was not viable. we are still good friends but are doing our own things most people know this

i did attend the AGM, I try and attend them so I can have a say as to how things are to be done. I dont believe you can or should pass judgement on others if you dont attend. at the AGM we all agreed that the web site was a priority, i dont think there was a single member present that voted against, and that it should be completed by the 1st Jan. as I am not on the committee and therefore do not have the latest information i asked the simple question as to when it was due.
No hidden agenda, no secret squirrel, just that its nearly Jan and i had not heard anything.
sometimes people still surprise me !
HT

Post by HT »

crazylegs wrote:Huw you are several years out of date. i have not done any work with tony for at least 2 years. the distances between us meant it was not viable. we are still good friends but are doing our own things most people know this

i did attend the AGM, I try and attend them so I can have a say as to how things are to be done. I dont believe you can or should pass judgement on others if you dont attend. at the AGM we all agreed that the web site was a priority, i dont think there was a single member present that voted against, and that it should be completed by the 1st Jan. as I am not on the committee and therefore do not have the latest information i asked the simple question as to when it was due.
No hidden agenda, no secret squirrel, just that its nearly Jan and i had not heard anything.
sometimes people still surprise me !

Yep - I tend to have an idea of what my friends are upto and use the phone. Still don't understand why you started an unnecessary thread Kev :wink:
Kieran Williams

Post by Kieran Williams »

This discussion keeps coming back to the same points :|

1. The AGM was the place to voice your opinions, this obviousley did not work so........ maybe a little more coms on somthing that does work, i.e this forum, would not go amiss :wink:

2. There is a huge lack of communication between the commitee and members/potential members.

judging by the amount of people who are voicing there opinions on this thread and did not attend the AGM, including myself, It would be much more sensible for the commitee to publish there thoughts/questions on here :thumleft:

Even the title of this thread shows that nobody knows what the commitew are very busy doing :!:

This is not a dig at the committee or any other members but as far as i can see the communication problem is an easy one to solve, the forum is here already :!:

Ki
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

huw i started the thread because i wanted to know what was happening. i am looking forward to the new site and was interested. thats it.
you have never met me so please do not suggest otherwise. who and how often i am on the phone is non of your business. IF you knew me you would know how laughable me phoning someone is.
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

Totally disagree Ki, the members of the Mk1 club have always been informed of whats happening either at the AGM or afterwards via the club magazine, those who went to the AGM DID voice their opinions & weve acted upon them, hence all the work the committee have been doing since & continue to do, you probably didnt get to know about these things, either because your not a MK1 club member, or because you didnt attend the AGM, simple as that.
Yes there is a forum here, but its also accessable to anyone not just club members, if those on here are not club members, why would they want to know whats going on within the mk1 club anyway ?, especially as some have already stated they have no intention of joining ? The committee were elected to act upon members wishes to organise & arrange certain things which they pay a membership fee for & would like to see in their club, those things are not going to be broadcast on an open forum. Jinxy
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

crazylegs wrote: IF you knew me you would know how laughable me phoning someone is.

Yeah tell me about it, & i know him better than most :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :oldtongue:
jimi

Post by jimi »

If you don't want non members/potential members to voice their opinions or know what is going on, why start start a thread on an open forum ? :? seems to me that by doing so your inviting opinions and questions.
HT

Post by HT »

crazylegs wrote:huw i started the thread because i wanted to know what was happening. i am looking forward to the new site and was interested. thats it.
you have never met me so please do not suggest otherwise. who and how often i am on the phone is non of your business. IF you knew me you would know how laughable me phoning someone is.

Sorry Kev - but at least keep it on thread, it unravels more and more everytime you type. You have good enough contact not to have started a thread, that caused unnecessary ill feeling for Phil & Vix. If you don't like a simply observation being made or opnion being brought forward do not use a public forum. Or at least talk straight like Tony does, and keep personal opnions out of a public forum. :thumleft:
Kieran Williams

Post by Kieran Williams »

Jinxy i totally agree that what the committee have done is to inform people of what has been dcided after the AGM. The key word there though is "after", i am simply saying that it would be better to use the forum so that people who are not able to attend the AGM are able to voice there thoughts in advance, this would be better for collecting a bigger cross section of opinions from members.

As for your other point about why would non members on the forum want to know whats going on, its simple, i for one want to know whats going on because i am quite ready to rejoin the club once i know what it consists of and what i will get for my money. I would not be willing to pay for a years membership if i did not already have a fairly good idea of what i am joining, simple as that. At the moment you are saying that unless i join and attend the AGM or read the mag then i will not find out about the club and how it is changing, this is a little wrong imho, people need to be informed of whats happening and whats on offer to get them to join.

Ki
vix

Post by vix »

PayPal account belongs to the Club, so all details still remain the same, and Stuart has the password. If anyone does contact me (and they have been) I am still passing on their details to Stuart and Ken.
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

I might as well offer my 2p.

First of all I didn't attend the AGM for the reason that the one issue I wanted to discuss was the website and the person representing this issue was not going to present at the AGM. I too feel very frustrated that the new website has taken 2 years to complete and now it has got to the final completion stage we are now back at square one and having to employ a professional. What a farce.. no really.. 2 years of nothing. What a waste of time. I cannot emphasise how annoyed I am at this.. I am not having a go completely at Phil here.. he took on the thankless task in the first place which I admire but perhaps he could have received some support/deadlinesto work to. Phil has put a lot of work into this, I saw it for myself when I saw the test forum page for the new website. Having said that... 2 years when it was meant to be done well within a year is a pi** take.

I feel I am entitled to my opinions here, I have been a Mk1 club member for 3 years and have offered my personal time as a moderator and event organiser (albeit I have been quiet this year)

My opinions are:

1) There DOES need to be a Mk1 dedicated club and the new website is crucial to this.

a) The website needs to come up as the number one search on google when you search for 'Mk1 Mr2' or other variables of this wording

b) The website needs to have a forum which is free for all users but has a paid members only section where discounts etc are advertised. Having a members only forum is retarded and will only attract a handful of users. The reason that the Mk1 club forum on IMOC is so popular is because it is free to join and post.

c) The website needs to have a thriving forsale and wanted section for cars, parts etc.. this is how most people stumble accross the club website.. when they are looking for a car to buy. The forsale section needs to be the PRIMARY location for buying and selling Mk1 Mr2s in the UK.

d) The website needs to have a (Mr2 Mk1 Club) buyers guide which is written and labelled by the Mk1 club. No 'Nick Challenor' guides.. how about an offical Mk1 Mr2 Club guide

e) It needs to be EASY to join the club. An advert in a primary location on the new site needs to be dedicated to 'How to join'

f) Potential members need to know WHY they are joining - what benefits do they get?

2) Someone on the committee needs to speak to IMOC admin/committee about how the relationship betwen the two clubs will continue. Will this forum section still be here? Will there be a link on here to the new website forum? The relationship with IMOC has had a real benefit to the club in my opinion and it would be shame to cut any ties.

Whilst I'm writing this I would like to commend certain individuals involved in the running of the club especially Mike Sheavills, Wayne and Jinxy for their enthusiasm in relaunching the club and pushing it forward. Without individuals like this the club would have died a death a long time ago. The club will NOT die with characters like this at the healm. Spot on guys and you have my full support.

Ollie
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Ollie@SkyInsurance wrote:2) Someone on the committee needs to speak to IMOC admin/committee about how the relationship betwen the two clubs will continue. Will this forum section still be here? Will there be a link on here to the new website forum? The relationship with IMOC has had a real benefit to the club in my opinion and it would be shame to cut any ties.

As i said in the Mods forum Ollie this section will remain in place when the Mk1Club moves to a new site, it may be shuffled to a new location and renamed but there will still be a Mk1 section. I think it's been here too long too go back to having everything in the same pot. :-k There were discussions about ROC joining us here but I'm not sure what's happening with this.

I believe that the IMOC/MK1Club relationship will remain strong, the two allied pack a bigger financial punch for the larger meets etc.
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

I hope so Chris, I really do. It would be a big shame to break the tie.
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

And seeing as all the dirty laundry is being aired on here... what exactly was the problem with Phil's website? It looked good to me from what I saw of it.
vix

Post by vix »

I don't think there was a problem with the website, I think people just didn't want Phil involved any more, as he had been lax in the past.

Those who had bothered to look at the new site will have noticed how quickly he responded to fixing bugs, and only I know the amount of hours he put in on the weekend of the 'decision' :(
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

Ollie@SkyInsurance wrote:And seeing as all the dirty laundry is being aired on here... what exactly was the problem with Phil's website? It looked good to me from what I saw of it.

Nobody ever really told me. Best I can tell from Jinxys comments in this thread is that the graphics weren't flashy enough. Something which could have been easily fixed if anyone had bothered to raise this with me.

I never claimed to be much a of a designer. My skills lie in making something which works and is easy to use whilst staying simple and uncluttered.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”