Possible stupid question...

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SongsByJimSteinman

Possible stupid question...

Post by SongsByJimSteinman »

I love my Mk1, but I also love whitewater kayaking. Is there any way the two things can be compatible without buying a second car?

Basically is it illegal and/or dangerous to put things on the roof (ie boats and paddles)? If not does anyone actually make roofbars? Or, can you tow with a Mk1? And if you can does anyone make towbars?

I really need a paddling friendly car but I don't want to sell the Mk1 and can't afford a second car.

Rock << Me >> Hardplace.

Any suggestions would be welcome, thanks guys.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: Possible stupid question...

Post by Ryan S »

SongsByJimSteinman wrote:I love my Mk1, but I also love whitewater kayaking. Is there any way the two things can be compatible without buying a second car?

Basically is it illegal and/or dangerous to put things on the roof (ie boats and paddles)? If not does anyone actually make roofbars? Or, can you tow with a Mk1? And if you can does anyone make towbars?

I really need a paddling friendly car but I don't want to sell the Mk1 and can't afford a second car.

Rock << Me >> Hardplace.

Any suggestions would be welcome, thanks guys.

get a trailer mate, there is bound to be towbars suitable for your car, and you won't be pulling tonnes and tonnes of weight so it should be fine!! :thumleft:
MR2sRuleTheRoad

Post by MR2sRuleTheRoad »

You can actually get genuine Toyota roofbars although they are very rare, ive also seen a set made by some Japanese company for sale on ebay US that a guy used to carry his snowboards on so might pay to look on there. Ive also seen mk1s with towbars but I dont know which company makes them, try ringing round companys like Witter and see what they say :thumleft:
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

You can fit them on the roof :thumleft:

Or a trailer, tow bars are around, and a lightweight kayak trailer will be fine to be pulled, if your worried, get a supercharger for the extra torque :wink:
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

i think their is a limit on how far you can have things hanging over the front and rear of your car.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

What kind of boat have you got? Is it a white water racer or a slalom type boat?

I imagine a racer may be too big/heavy for the roof but a slalom or squirt boat would fit fine. Just a case of finding a roof rack. Although aren't they only rated to 16kg? :-k
Karl_T

Post by Karl_T »

Not sure what they're rated too but I've had way over 25kg on them.

The rear strut is the one you don't want to overload. Mounted to plastic. #-o

Probs no good if you have a T-Bar.

Karl_T
Red ones go faster......
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

Toyota also made and sold the Towbars for mk1's , a while ago a used one appeared on ebay and went for 25 GBP.

Jinxy bought it :thumleft:
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve

Post by Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve »

I've seen Karl's roof bars and they do look good :D
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

I have had a set of the ski rack (roof bars) but wouldn't put anything heavier than skis on them, its not just the weight of the kayak but the wind resistance as you drive
I have a tow bar on my MK1 & have no probs at all pulling a small trailer loaded with my sons fishing gear and camping equipment
sourcing a new tow bar should be no problem
bill hulme
Premium Member

towbar

Post by bill hulme »

Hi if you send me your email address I could mail you some picture of
one that I made and tow a trailer tent with. Bill.
Nimbus

Post by Nimbus »

oukie wrote:Toyota also made and sold the Towbars for mk1's , a while ago a used one appeared on ebay and went for 25 GBP.

Jinxy bought it :thumleft:

Yepp, I had an official toyota towbar on my first mk1..

towed my glider trailer with it, which is at least 750kg.. and it handled a treat :)

really must scan some of my old pics of my first 2 in...
Kieran Williams

Post by Kieran Williams »

I also paddle and i just used my surfboeard straps to hold my kayak on the roof of my old mk1, wouldn't like to go down the dual cariage way like that though, i only had to travel a very short distance.

Ki

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”