Handling Problem I Think....?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

acexxx

Handling Problem I Think....?

Post by acexxx »

Hi I have a 1990 MK1 with a sun roof and I have just fitted a T-Bar Strut Brace to the front. I also discovered that one of the sensors that is on the air intake pipe had fell out (Think thats y it was running crap!). I took it out for a spin and coming off a roundabout I gave It some beans in 3rd and the steering ent really light and it seemed like the back end came out but im not sure. It has never done this until now and my tyres are like new all Avon ZV3's.

Any Ideas?
WeirdNeville

Re: Handling Problem I Think....?

Post by WeirdNeville »

Freshly salted roads? Ice? Loose roll bars? Geometry out? Screwed shock? Dampness? Overenthusiastic acceleration? Car off balance with the weight transition off of the roundabout?
acexxx

Post by acexxx »

No ice or salt. It did it twice. It just felt really loose. Im not sure though. All my suspension components are fine. I think I was just accelerating to hard.
Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve

Post by Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve »

Mk1's are well known for losing the rear at roundabouts.
My Mate Pete Mason lost his rear end when we were racing eachover, did a fair bit of damage to the rear wheel when it smashed into the kerb :(
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Its really greasy on the roads this time of year without salt or ice. I have been driving very slowly recently to avoid the ar$e end kicking out on roundabouts (unless there isnt anyone around of course).

The back end is very light going round roundabouts and even a little prod of the pedal can send it out at the back.
MR2sRuleTheRoad

Post by MR2sRuleTheRoad »

No I would disagree and say the back end doesn't go light on roundabouts/sharp corners but the weight acts like a pendulum, plus remember its a rear wheel drive car! As a general rule RWD tends to oversteer FWD understeer. The rear wheels are trying to drive the car forwards and will break traction on slippy roads a lot easier also helped by the weight transfer. And remeber there ain't a lot of weight in the front either :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”