[Mk2] [Turbo] Tein nightmare saga - HELP!!

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

davidmit

[Mk2] [Turbo] Tein nightmare saga - HELP!!

Post by davidmit »

I am having problems with my suspension after foolishly trying to save money and buying secondhand.

1st problem was after the suspension was fitted the garage told me that I had the wrong motors for the back which I had to order more for.

Then the biggest problem I have now is that the second garge I took it too who are a tein dealer tell me that the wrong topmount bit was installed. A green ring under the pillowball top mounts which had a 40mm hole rather than a 20mm one if I remember right. He told me that he believed it must have come from the tein monoflex kit instead.

I've just been waiting 2 weeks for them to get the part and just had a call to say the wrong ones come and that the correct part needs to be ordered from Japan!

The car is wobbly currently with the wheels wobbling left and right whilst driving in a straight line. ](*,) and I have to drive a 400 mile round trip in a few days.

Don't suppose anyone knows the parts I'm after and happen to have a spare set tucked away or knows where I can get them fairly quickly??? :pray: I'd obviously pay you what they were worth.

Must be worth a long shot.

Moral to the story is: Spend the extra 200 notes and get the set new.

Damnit,

Dave
SFLee

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Tein nightmare saga - HELP!!

Post by SFLee »

you try

Rogue Motorsport ?

they also tein dealer may have them instock

also you can put the oringal back for now, very easy to swap
davidmit

Post by davidmit »

When interpro told me they were onroute I was content and sold the originals :| just didn't bank on the wrong bit being ordered.
SFLee

Post by SFLee »

also depend which model of tein coilover may be different part,

but if i remeber right, tein can use toyota top mount ( it just mean not adjustable) and most use one is sieze anyway
tubby_mr2

Post by tubby_mr2 »

i got some std springs and struts up for sale?
davidmit

Post by davidmit »

I've emailed rogue to see if they can help source the part. I begrudge buying standard suspension and having it fitted to just take it back off again a few weeks later.

Thanks though, if I get desparate :pray:
BLZ-8027

Post by BLZ-8027 »

davidmit wrote:I've emailed rogue to see if they can help source the part. I begrudge buying standard suspension and having it fitted to just take it back off again a few weeks later.

Thanks though, if I get desparate :pray:

Where are you mate? ive got a full set of standard suspension including top mounts on a rev 1 turbo, with cobra lowering springs in good condition

You can borrow them if you like until you get your bits sorted
you would need to come and help remove them though?
davidmit

Post by davidmit »

Wow cheers,

I'm a little too far from you really as I'm in Bristol. I've been driving it with the wheel wobble and I think I can live with it for a couple of weeks.

It seems fine until my speed passes 60 or so, which going to work and back is not a problem.

I'll just have to toodle along on my journey tomorrow.

Has anyone been able to guess the part that I'm having trouble with? It may be easier to source it if I had a name?
BLZ-8027

Post by BLZ-8027 »

davidmit wrote:I am having problems with my suspension after foolishly trying to save money and buying secondhand.

1st problem was after the suspension was fitted the garage told me that I had the wrong motors for the back which I had to order more for.

Then the biggest problem I have now is that the second garge I took it too who are a tein dealer tell me that the wrong topmount bit was installed. A green ring under the pillowball top mounts which had a 40mm hole rather than a 20mm one if I remember right. He told me that he believed it must have come from the tein monoflex kit instead.

I've just been waiting 2 weeks for them to get the part and just had a call to say the wrong ones come and that the correct part needs to be ordered from Japan!

The car is wobbly currently with the wheels wobbling left and right whilst driving in a straight line. ](*,) and I have to drive a 400 mile round trip in a few days.

Don't suppose anyone knows the parts I'm after and happen to have a spare set tucked away or knows where I can get them fairly quickly??? :pray: I'd obviously pay you what they were worth.

Must be worth a long shot.

Moral to the story is: Spend the extra 200 notes and get the set new.

Damnit,

Dave

Have you tried this site?
davidmit

Post by davidmit »

OK, don't know why I never tried teins website but just had a look at the installation manual and I believe the part I need is the upper mounts which are part of the suspension kit rather than coming with the pillowball mount kit.

http://www.tein.co.uk/installation_manu ... /qbt04.pdf

If somebody has them please shout out, I really appreciate the suggestions guys. and thanks BLZ for the link... wasn't any good but twas good of you to get back to me. :D
Ayrton

Post by Ayrton »

I doubt there's anything wrong with the struts/setup - unless someone's cobbled together 2 different sets ?! - presumably it worked before.
I fitted a tein set and thought the same - dangerous/ wobbling all over the shop in a straight line - must be bu88ered - full laser alignment & it was perfect - like night & day !
These kits are very sensitive to slightly out camber/toe - and if it's just been swapped from std stuff it'll be way way out.
By laser alignment I mean full 4 wheel expensive job by the pros - cost me £100.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Ayrton wrote:By laser alignment I mean full 4 wheel expensive job by the pros - cost me £100.

4 wheel alignment does not have to be expensive. £40 here in Barnsley.
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
Ayrton wrote:By laser alignment I mean full 4 wheel expensive job by the pros - cost me £100.

4 wheel alignment does not have to be expensive. £40 here in Barnsley.

Is that done by you peter, or do you take it elsewhere? I might pop over in the new year and get mine done :thumleft:

ps: sorted the wiring
Ayrton

Post by Ayrton »

...well it was £50 for the check up & print out, but then an hour's work to correct it all was another £50.
My point tho was to get a proper job not rely on a normal garage with a toe gauge.
BLZ-8027

Post by BLZ-8027 »

Just for info
Laser alignment cost me £80 including VAT from this company
http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/
davidmit

Post by davidmit »

It was wheelsinmotion that I got to install the superstreets in the first place and do a 4 wheel alighment. £400 quid!

Then took to a tein dealer in Bristol (interpro) to hopefully fix the edfc problem and when they took the shock off to get the number (and eventually find out the the shock wasn't compatible with the motors) they told me that the wrong upper seats had been fitted. They did suggest it had been cobbled together from superstreets and monoflex combo.

:0) live and learn
BLZ-8027

Post by BLZ-8027 »

:silent: :oops:
Ayrton

Post by Ayrton »

aaahhh ok - that is indeed a nightmare then ... some people.... :evil:

spose you could split them again & put std top mounts back on, or get the right ones.

Return to “Modifications”