On a recent business trip to Japan I bought.....

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

JUIC'IN

On a recent business trip to Japan I bought.....

Post by JUIC'IN »

......another MR2. Never thought I would own one again, but this one was abit special.

Anyway to cut along story short I finally managed to pick it up from the docks yesterday morning, along with several other cars which arent mr2, so no point mentioning them. :mrgreen:

With the current economic climate I admit this was a stupid purchase on my part but I really couldnt say no, here is the spec:

December 1998 Revision 5 MR-2 GT-S Turbo in Cosmos blue (a model I have always wanted). It has had one owner from new, a nice woman called Izumi Yau. She had bought this from a Toyota dealership in Japan brand new and has owned it for the past 9 years.

Never been in an accident and all original paint. The best part about it is that it's completely standard, I mean even the airfiler is the oem toyota stuff. I took it for a test drive and remembered why these little cars are so great, not even a squeek bump or rattle from this thing, it was like new. So I made her an offer and suprisingly she accepted. Luckily I paid for the car before the yen dropped and the market went bad, otherwise I dont think I could of got it.

Anyway, after a long 2.5 months trying to get it back to the UK, with my usual shipping company going bust and having to get it containered instead it finally arrived in one piece.

No current plans for it at the moment, going to wait till next year so I dont have to SVA it as it'll be 10 years old, service it and enjoy it. Dont plan to mod it in anyway either as it's too nice for anything like that. Anyway, only one picture for now of it being introduced to the first of many rainy British days.... Just love the colour!

Charged
IMOC Committee

Re: On a recent business trip to Japan I bought.....

Post by Charged »

Fantastic purchase, well done :thumleft:

May I ask how much it all cost for the car and shipping?

Cheers

Ollie
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
JUIC'IN

Post by JUIC'IN »

Thank you.

The unfortunate thing about it was I bought the car when the yen was trading at around 200 to the pound, but unfortunately customs takes the value of the car in yen and uses the exchange rate at that time to calculate whats owed, so unfortunately customs was using the current rate of 140 to the pound. Which meant I payed approximately an extra £800 in taxes.

Anyway to cut it short I recon I can get the car on the road, registered and taxed for just short of £7K.

I did pay a bit over the odds for the car in the first place, due to the shear rarity of one owner and totally original, but if i'd of bought it at todays exchange rate my total would be looking more like £10K. For that shear fact alone i've put a halt on importing in our company for the time being as it just isnt worth it.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

nice job, need more pics!

another geniune rev5 turbo lands in the uk.....
just like mine did 4months ago (a march '98 GT hardtop)
:thumleft:
Bry

Post by Bry »

Looks fantastic mate, I know exactly what you mean about getting back into mr2 ownership as I've just done the same (also lady owner for 8 years and pretty standard only mines yellow) There is something about the mr2 that you just don't get from other cars 8)
Watch out OZ here I come !!
Bry

Post by Bry »

who pinched your clear side lights
pcp

Post by pcp »

Bry wrote:who pinched your clear side lights

exacty what i was thinking :D If you were going to do one mod to a rev5 you wouldn't think 'oooh, those clear lights make the car look far too clean, let's replace them with some nice orange ones' :lol:
JUIC'IN

Post by JUIC'IN »

Hey Bry glad to hear you've got back into mr-2's, your old one was a real credit to you. Yellow's a fantastic colour though and these mr2's seem to pull it off really well.

Believe it or not I asked the woman who owned it the same thing. Aparently clear side lights were a toyota option when buying, she said she prefered the orange coloured ones as they matched the side repeators. It's even still got the original toyota stereo in it, not exactly state of the art nowadays, but i think i'll try and dig out some of my old tapes and re-live my youth! :mrgreen:

Anyway, both the side lights and the side repeators will be changed for clears for the mot.
pcp

Post by pcp »

JUIC'IN wrote:Hey Bry glad to hear you've got back into mr-2's, your old one was a real credit to you. Yellow's a fantastic colour though and these mr2's seem to pull it off really well.

Believe it or not I asked the woman who owned it the same thing. Aparently clear side lights were a toyota option when buying, she said she prefered the orange coloured ones as they matched the side repeators. It's even still got the original toyota stereo in it, not exactly state of the art nowadays, but i think i'll try and dig out some of my old tapes and re-live my youth! :mrgreen:

Anyway, both the side lights and the side repeators will be changed for clears for the mot.

what a strange woman :lol: TBF the original toyota clear sidelights aren't too clear anyway, the crystal aftermarket ones are far far nicer :thumleft:

Mine still has the original stereo, not taking it out til i can find a nice double din touchscreen that i want.
JUIC'IN

Post by JUIC'IN »

pcp wrote:what a strange woman :lol: TBF the original toyota clear sidelights aren't too clear anyway, the crystal aftermarket ones are far far nicer :thumleft:

Mine still has the original stereo, not taking it out til i can find a nice double din touchscreen that i want.

I know, but each to their own I suppose. lol.

I know what you mean though, the clear ones do seem to update the front completely.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Very nice! For some reason the orange sidelights look pretty good on that colour!

Keep it standard definitely! :mrgreen:
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

nice.

I think the value of Imported 2's and other Jap cars will go up soon due the the exchange rate as lots of compaines have stopped importing for now.. might not go up by much but maybe a little :mrgreen:
Bry

Post by Bry »

JUIC'IN wrote:Hey Bry glad to hear you've got back into mr-2's, your old one was a real credit to you. Yellow's a fantastic colour though and these mr2's seem to pull it off really well.

Cheers mate, she was (and still is) a lovely car, but have always loved the yellow ones, ha ha mine has the stock stereo too , now where did I put my Rick astley tapes :lol:
tubby_mr2

Post by tubby_mr2 »

yellow ones are the best ones lol
craig

Post by craig »

Nice purchase buddy. Keep it looking standard, that's how mine is staying.

It's weird how you own one, sell it and then say you'll never buy another..........then you do #-o :mrgreen:

Enjoy the car mate :thumleft:
platmatt8

Post by platmatt8 »

I must agree get the clears on and more pics please :pray:
Harry

Post by Harry »

One of the best MR 2 Japanese stories. Would love to do it like that plus have met the owner - did you take any photos of her. Years ago most were stock standard less wheels or so but these days its the other way round.Yes keep her totally stock.What a lovely example well done. Perfect. :)
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Cosmos blue looks quite flat in dark light doesn't it! Will be a nice car to have though, I kind of hanker after nice standard cars once in a while. :) Nice purchase.
T
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

Yo Kev nice one mate! Looks lovely, glad you've come back! \:D/
cosmos

colour coding

Post by cosmos »

Great purchase similar to my own one owner model, ill bet she used orange nail varnish and lipstick which makes it all sound plausible and genuine, you know what women are like for colour matching as a species lol....

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”