Mini iPod/Sony head unit interface

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

robertagar

Post by robertagar »

Hi Folks,

I would like to play my mini iPod through the double din Sony WX-C570R head unit fitted to my turbo.

The iPod output to its earphones is via a 2.5 mm jack.

I would like to fit something to the head unit with an identical jack poking out of the dash for fitting to the iPod.

Cheers,

Bob
www.risingsunimport.com
Kelvin

Re: Mini iPod/Sony head unit interface

Post by Kelvin »

The only option really for hard wiring is the Dension unit, but there are lots of problems reported on those.

I've found an iTrip (FM transmitter), which although is slightly illegal in this country (cough) is very good. Dowload the extra frequencies from Griffin and it's marvellous.

Kelvin
Last edited by Kelvin on Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keithhs

Post by keithhs »

I have a single din unit Sony m600r. It has rca input for autochangers.

This might be an option to you.

I used the headphone jack to connect using jack to rca lead from Dixon’s (about £12).

Because the input on the unit was for changers only, the Sony would only select aux when a changer is connected so I had to buy an Autoleads lead that fools the headunit into thinking the aux rca input is a changer. That was £40.

The Denison is something I looked at but is £100 and the only advantage is that you can control the I-pod through the head unit (quite a big advantage I know, but has big compatibility problems I have heard.)

Not sure if the above is clear to read....sorry :-k but it does work well, and quality is very good from my mini ipod
robertagar

Post by robertagar »

Thanks everybody for your inputs. There seem to be a few options and one is a cassette type offered by PC world, although for best sound quality I would have prefered a direct jack connection. The Sony unit has two channels for receiving CD output from a multichanger. Perhaps a cable with a jack for the iPod and two singles for the Sony might work. The only way is to try it out through my mate at Halfords. Will keep you informed if successful.
Cheers
Bob
Dave Couzens

Post by Dave Couzens »

Just to reiterate an earlier post - my gf went along these trains of though and purchased an itrip, TBH it is a fantastic bit of kit and sound quality is fine - get it tuned in properly and it signals out in stereo radio signal.

Sounds great, and you can listen to your tunes in others peoples cars etc through the transmitter. :D

Well worth it
robertagar

Post by robertagar »

I think I have sorted my ipod problem. Ordered Belkin mobile cassette adaptor and eXpansys USB charger via cigar lighter, all in £18.70 delivered. Would have liked the Smart deck cassette, but it has yet to be launched in the US.
I need the kit by next week as I'm off to Le Mans for the 24 hour event so I took the quicker option.
Dave Couzens

Post by Dave Couzens »

Well have a good time in Le Mans, my dad is going out there in a convoy of MGAs - shodul be some good stuff for you to spot anyhow! :D

Return to “ICE and Security”