[Mk2] [Turbo] quick question does or can anyone explain what the t-vis does on my rev 2 tubby

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Poggster1986

[Mk2] [Turbo] quick question does or can anyone explain what the t-vis does on my rev 2 tubby

Post by Poggster1986 »

hi guys

does or can anyone explain what the t-vis does on my rev 2 tubby, i am in the middle of sorting out numerous problems on my car, as i have been sorting out the oil leaks and other bits i found this t vis thing but not sure what it does? it also has toyota and yamaha writen on it?

i have a rev 2 tubby if this helps.

many thanks

dave

Ps i am new to the Mr2 scene and just :?
Extubby

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] quick question does or can anyone explain what the t-vis does on my rev 2 tubby

Post by Extubby »

It regulates boost in 1st and 2nd. Disconnect it to get full boost. Makes a big difference.
Tiny

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] quick question does or can anyone explain what the t-vis does on my rev 2 tubby

Post by Tiny »

it also regulates boost in 3-4-5 if you get a problem its trims the boost back to 6psi make sure your car is in REALLY good condition mechanically before you do as you loose that protection.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

It's the T-VSV that regulates boost control, not the T-VIS. T-VIS is a variable intake system present on MK1 and MK2 up to and including Rev 2 which consists of butterfly valves in the inlet manifold. Idea being that it opens up more air intake capacity as the revs rise. If you disconnect it you will permanently restrict your air intake.

The reason it says Toyota and Yamaha all over it is because the 3S-GTE is designed and built for Toyota by Yamaha.
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

sorry ill get my coat
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Tiny wrote:sorry ill get my coat

lol... easy mistake to make!
Poggster1986

Post by Poggster1986 »

thanks guy's for the info i tried looking everywhere for proper info on it
i have been told to leave it on as it helps keep the power and torque curve sweet as a nut.

thanks dave :thumleft:
3sgte

Post by 3sgte »

the tvis means toyota variable intake system

have a read of this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tvis
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

toxo wrote:It's the T-VSV that regulates boost control, not the T-VIS. T-VIS is a variable intake system present on MK1 and MK2 up to and including Rev 2 which consists of butterfly valves in the inlet manifold. Idea being that it opens up more air intake capacity as the revs rise. If you disconnect it you will permanently restrict your air intake.

The reason it says Toyota and Yamaha all over it is because the 3S-GTE is designed and built for Toyota by Yamaha.

Yes and no.
You disconnect it, it's left perminently open, not shut and restricted.
:-)

Some sources say it opens at X rpm, to help torque. some say it opens as soon as you see boost, so really doesn't do much.
I disonnected mine and when mapped was still seeing 290lb on my rev2 with a ct20b. Hardly a disadvantage in my case.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

jimGTS wrote:Yes and no.
You disconnect it, it's left perminently open, not shut and restricted.
:-)

My bad :) My only real TVIS experience is on a MK1 as I have a rev3 turbo...
boosch

Post by boosch »

wowowo, hate to revive a thread but does the tvis control that goose honk noise? :-k it happens for me when starting to boost, or when the car is struggling up a hill cos its a fat bloater, and cant move without boost :shock:
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

The goose honk is because you have a recirculating dump valve and have removed the stock airbox and resonator. Completely unrelated!
boosch

Post by boosch »

this is ture.

wheres MY coat!
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Like I said up there...

toxo wrote:It's the T-VSV that regulates boost control

It's what creates the lower boost limit in 1st and 2nd, and controls boost up to whatever the factory limit is in other gears. It also informs the ECU of overboost so the ECU can fuel cut to protect the engine.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Im a bit confused now :-k . According to Fensport who supplied my turbo I'm running at 12psi as regulated by the actuator on the hybrid turbo. Surely though, if my T-VSV is still hooked up then I must be running no more than the factory set 10psi???
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Mike wrote:Im a bit confused now :-k . According to Fensport who supplied my turbo I'm running at 12psi as regulated by the actuator on the hybrid turbo. Surely though, if my T-VSV is still hooked up then I must be running no more than the factory set 10psi???

no, if 12 is the actuator pressure on that turbo, id imagine your running 15psi!

12 + 3 for the tvsv...

stock actuator is 7psi.
Mike

Post by Mike »

jimGTS wrote:
Mike wrote:Im a bit confused now :-k . According to Fensport who supplied my turbo I'm running at 12psi as regulated by the actuator on the hybrid turbo. Surely though, if my T-VSV is still hooked up then I must be running no more than the factory set 10psi???

no, if 12 is the actuator pressure on that turbo, id imagine your running 15psi!

12 + 3 for the tvsv...

stock actuator is 7psi.

It appears my T-VSV is no longer connected, theres only one pipe connected to my actuator so I guess thats how they get around the T-VSV.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

toxo wrote:It also informs the ECU of overboost so the ECU can fuel cut to protect the engine.

Rubbish. The TPS (turbo pressure sensor) on the rear firewall does that. It also drives the stock boost gauge.

A VSV is a solenoid, thus does not measure or inform. Sensors do that job.

Return to “Mechanical”