0.7 BAR / 10.2 PSI
33%
0.8 BAR / 11.6 PSI
56%

Total votes: 9

boosch

[Mk2] [Turbo] boost levels

Post by boosch »

Trying to ascertain what is 'normal', some say 0.5 is standard, others say this is safety mode.
Nails

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] boost levels

Post by Nails »

I think mine was around 0.5 or 0.6 when I got it, but I changed the gauge for a psi one and fitted a downpipe, boost is now at 11.6.
boosch

Post by boosch »

Yeah, I have heard a downpipe increases boost because it increases exhaust flow allowing the turbo to spool better. ?? or something more technical.

So far people are saying it should be above 10PSI, is this a conspiracy? I thought the rev3 was 13PSI standard, and the rev1/2 were lower (like 10ish).
Nails

Post by Nails »

With the doenpipe replaced it removes the CAT, I already had a single exit RSR exhaust which seems to be very free flowing, so that raised the boost and made it spool much quicker.
But it should be around 8 or 9psi
boosch

Post by boosch »

thats odd, I read somewhere the japspeed exhaust removes the cat, which would explain why i need ear plugs on long journeys! :shock: but he boost hasnt increased, and this is a 3" to 4" tip system so it flows pretty freely! its not looking good for my little 0.55bar ](*,)
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

boosch wrote:thats odd, I read somewhere the japspeed exhaust removes the cat, which would explain why i need ear plugs on long journeys! :shock: but he boost hasnt increased, and this is a 3" to 4" tip system so it flows pretty freely! its not looking good for my little 0.55bar ](*,)

Sounds like the VSV isnt working if its running at actuator pressure. Remove the VSV and fit a boost controller.
Razor04

Post by Razor04 »

RobCrezz wrote:
boosch wrote:thats odd, I read somewhere the japspeed exhaust removes the cat, which would explain why i need ear plugs on long journeys! :shock: but he boost hasnt increased, and this is a 3" to 4" tip system so it flows pretty freely! its not looking good for my little 0.55bar ](*,)

Sounds like the VSV isnt working if its running at actuator pressure. Remove the VSV and fit a boost controller.

yes this is the way foward, disable that pesky vsv nonsense. :thumleft:
boosch

Post by boosch »

I'll give it a go when it stops raining! got an mbc ready to go in!
boosch

Post by boosch »

ooo, that was weird, only boosts to 0.5 in 5th, but in 3rd it hung about at .055, then sprung up to 0.7 like the train off back to the future (III?) when a fire brick is chucked in! woo. doesnt do it all the time - im guessing this is creep cos the engine wasnt mega hot (15mins into drive) so the intake air would have been nice and cool. is it creep?
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

boosch wrote:ooo, that was weird, only boosts to 0.5 in 5th, but in 3rd it hung about at .055, then sprung up to 0.7 like the train off back to the future (III?) when a fire brick is chucked in! woo. doesnt do it all the time - im guessing this is creep cos the engine wasnt mega hot (15mins into drive) so the intake air would have been nice and cool. is it creep?

Was the engine warm by this point? It will normally only give full boost if its warmed up.

And back to the future was awesome.
boosch

Post by boosch »

back to the future IS awesome! Tho Im still waiting for hover boards :-k

Yep drove for 15 minutes at least before boosting. checked the engine codes, and its all good (after flashing 106 times I figured that must be constant! :roll: ).

Whats the lowest boost the MBC can run, if theres a problem and its retarding I dont want to take out the sensor that detects a problem?! if that makes sense?
Mike

Post by Mike »

As far as I know a standard Rev1/2 should boost at 7psi in 1st and 2nd then 10psi 3rd through 5th.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Taken from sopertek.com

"Rev1 and Rev2 MR2 Turbos can generate 220 bhp in standard form. Due to changes in engine design, Rev3 onward Turbos generate 240 bhp. The Rev1/2 Turbos achieve their power using a CT-26 twin-entry, ceramic turbo running at 10 psi. The extra power from the Rev3+ was primarily the result of a smaller CT-20 turbo running at 13 psi."
boosch

Post by boosch »

hmm. Im worried about disconnecting the TVSV if its a safety feature. The car obviously feels something is wrong but I have no ECU error codes? I always wait at least 15 mins before playtime.

I had been told it wasnt getting to temp - it displays an interval under half way but i have replaced the thermostat and temp sender so I figured it was effeciently cool. Would it retard timing if it was just an interval under half way?
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

boosch wrote:hmm. Im worried about disconnecting the TVSV if its a safety feature. The car obviously feels something is wrong but I have no ECU error codes? I always wait at least 15 mins before playtime.

I had been told it wasnt getting to temp - it displays an interval under half way but i have replaced the thermostat and temp sender so I figured it was effeciently cool. Would it retard timing if it was just an interval under half way?

The temp sounds about right to me, mine always gets to the point just under half.

The VSVs do go wrong by the sounds of things. It could just be broken.

Return to “Mechanical”