[Mk2] [Turbo] will these wheels fit??? 18" 40 profile tyers!!! need answers!!

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

[Mk2] [Turbo] will these wheels fit??? 18" 40 profile tyers!!! need answers!!

Post by Ryan S »

just bought a set of 18" wheels, i have tyres which are 18/245/40......

will these fit under the arches, they look faaaaar too f%cking big!!!!!!!!

let me know people coz i think i've made a terrible miscalculation!!!!!
sean1881

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] will these wheels fit??? 18" 40 profile tyers!!! need answers!!

Post by sean1881 »

can't say they wont fit for sure, but i'm runnin on 18/215/35 & theres not a lot of room left to play with.
fearless

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] will these wheels fit??? 18" 40 profile tyers!!! need answers!!

Post by fearless »

i think you can only get 215's on the front max and thats with a 35 series tyre depending on offset aswell heard thay can rub on shock and arch liners spacers might work though, think rears you might get away with :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

ah feck!!!

i have standard shocks and springs, i've seen 17's and thought they look gash with the standard setup, and looked like bags of room for 18's, but now i see the size i'm not so sure, i think it's 245 on all the tires, i'll have to check!!

F1ck f1ck f1ck!!!!
fearless

Post by fearless »

are you sure thay are 245/40/18 all round sounds quite wide and what car did thay come off must have been a big car maybe a skyline or supra for those size tyres, i was going to get 18" for mine but read about rubbing and arch and shock problems so decided against it going to get a set of these instead :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0120170616
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

nofearmadbiker wrote:are you sure thay are 245/40/18 all round sounds quite wide and what car did thay come off must have been a big car maybe a skyline or supra for those size tyres, i was going to get 18" for mine but read about rubbing and arch and shock problems so decided against it going to get a set of these instead :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0120170616

the tyres are off my ols rx8, i took them off coz i sold the wheels, i replaced them with 19" with 265's on the rear, the grip was ammence!!!

yeah deffo 245's all the way round. i think the car is gonna handle like xxxx as well!!!
fearless

Post by fearless »

best thing to do jack up car on axle stands and spin wheels to see if it fails on anything, you can see then where you stand if you need spacers and if thay are going to catch arch etc :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

nofearmadbiker wrote:best thing to do jack up car on axle stands and spin wheels to see if it fails on anything, you can see then where you stand if you need spacers and if thay are going to catch arch etc :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

think i'll try that, they are going on regardless, if they rub i'll just have to get new tryes, bu88er.

i'll get some pics up when they are on, irony is they are rx8 wheels and i sold a set not long ago!!!!

thought they'd look the dogs on a mr2!!!

what do you guys think???
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

I am running 255/35/18s on the back of mine and they fit fine, my car is dropped on its ar$e as well 8)

The fronts might be a problem though mate :-k :(
fearless

Post by fearless »

yes back not really a problem just fronts post up some pics when done :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Gee Man wrote:I am running 255/35/18s on the back of mine and they fit fine, my car is dropped on its ar$e as well 8)

The fronts might be a problem though mate :-k :(

f1ck it, if they rub then they rub!!!

haha, i read that the car might look like a "4x4" coz it's not lowered, i thought the 18's would fill out the arches more??? any ideas??
nuttasie

Post by nuttasie »

Mate ,you will not even get them on the front as they will not fit under the std strut.You need 35 profile with 215 but that also depends on width of whell also.
do you now the wheel width offsets etc ,then people could offer you more advice.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

nuttasie wrote:Mate ,you will not even get them on the front as they will not fit under the std strut.You need 35 profile with 215 but that also depends on width of whell also.
do you now the wheel width offsets etc ,then people could offer you more advice.

the wheel is 8" wide and the offset is 50mm.
nuttasie

Post by nuttasie »

well with an 8j rim you wanna go with 215/35's.Also you will need spacers as your offset will hit the strut.my 8j with 35 offset clears by about 5mm+.so you will probably need 15 mm spacers at a guess.

just go and buy a load of2-3mm washers and keep putting them on 3 of the studs and trying the wheels until the tyres clear the struts by at least 5mm.Then measure the washer thickness so that you know what spacers to get :thumleft:Also if you jack the car up with the suspension loaded you could kepp adding the washers untill the wheels/tyres came to the edge of the wings,but please remember you do not want them to catch the arch lip.

obviously you can fit bigger tyres225/235 to those rims as you know,but i don,t know if the bigger ones will fit under the strut were as i know 215's do.
Last edited by nuttasie on Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

nuttasie wrote:well with an 8j rim you wanna go with 215/35's.Also you will need spacers as your offset will hit the strut.my 8j with 35 offset clears by about 5mm+.so you will probably need 15 mm spacers at a guess.

just go and buy a load of2-3mm washers and keep putting them on 3 of the studs and trying the wheels until they clear the struts by at least 5mm.Then measure the washer thickness so that you know what spacers to get :thumleft:

obviously you can fit bigger tyres225/235 to those rims as you know,but i don,t know if the bigger ones will fit under the strut were as i know 215's do

coole, cheers for that, i'll prob just get 215's asap.
nuttasie

Post by nuttasie »

Also if you jack the car up with the suspension loaded you could kepp adding the washers untill the wheels/tyres came to the edge of the wings,but please remember you do not want them to catch the arch lip.
nuttasie

Post by nuttasie »

just thought would add a few more things.

215's on an 8j will be a tiny amount stretched,but not that much .As most would probably fit 225's or235's to an 8j but as a said i do not now if they will clear the strut or create problem with catching the wing etc.

And if you use the washer trick but are only using a wheel with no tyre remember that some tyres protude from the wheels by a fair amount,so allow for that also when checking/deciding the clearance you want.
kenny.c

Post by kenny.c »

i used to have 8x18 et30 215/35 yoko's at the front....cleared the struts no problem but for some odd reason it would catch on the o/s wing lip now and again when driving fast with dips on the road . Passenger did not catch at all.

That's it dropped with tein s-tech springs too.

There's a pic of it in the general mr2 section....in the "best wheels for the 2 topic".
klx_boy

Post by klx_boy »

I have 215/35/18's on the front of mine and they rubbed the coilovers so i had to buy some 10mm hubcentric spacers from wheels uk.

Between the bottom of the suspension cup and the tyre with a 30 profile is really really small with a standard setup so like stated above^ best to just jack it up and give it a whirl.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

klx_boy wrote:I have 215/35/18's on the front of mine and they rubbed the coilovers so i had to buy some 10mm hubcentric spacers from wheels uk.

Between the bottom of the suspension cup and the tyre with a 30 profile is really really small with a standard setup so like stated above^ best to just jack it up and give it a whirl.

the wheels are hopefully going on today, i went and had a look at the strut and there is feck all room, was on the new zealand owners club, few boys with 18s on there but with 225/215/205 on the front!!!

f*ck!!!

Return to “Modifications”