MR2 Mk2 NA - As much fun as a tubby?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Marf

Re: MR2 Mk2 NA - As much fun as a tubby?

Post by Marf »

Racer7 wrote:So would the concensus be to go N/A and eventually trade in for a Turbo? I don't fancy killing myself anytime in the next 40 years...

Just get a tubby and dont drive like a dick. Treat it with the respect it deserves and build up to the potential it has to offer.

I had no RWD experience before getting my Turbo, only having driven fast fwd hatches for 6 years and I havent had any scary incidents yet, and that includes giving it a good thraping trying to keep up with a certain Mr Le Frog on the last Kent Run :lol:
Peter C

Post by Peter C »

RobCrezz wrote:yeah, but N/As are slow. \:D/

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

According to the press, my old Rev1 would hit 60 in 6.7secs and do the 1/4 mile in 15.4 secs. The only place where you'll want more performance is on the drag strip. NAs are more than fast enough for road use.
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

Peter C wrote:

According to the press, my old Rev1 would hit 60 in 6.7secs and do the 1/4 mile in 15.4 secs. The only place where you'll want more performance is on the drag strip. NAs are more than fast enough for road use.

No, the only place where YOU want more performance might be a drag strip. My MR2 hit's 60 in low 4's but I still want more performance.
Nails

Post by Nails »

Get a tubby. When in doubt buy the best.
(Thats why Im normally skint)
Peter C

Post by Peter C »

Nails wrote:When in doubt buy the best. (Thats why Im normally skint)

So why do you only have a Keved-up Rev2? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Peter C

Post by Peter C »

jonb- wrote:the only place where YOU want more performance might be a drag strip.

but I still want more performance.

:-k
AAB

Post by AAB »

Peter C wrote:I'm on my 5th Mk2 NA, it's been seven years since I bought my first one and I've never had a single problem with any of my cars.

Take a look around the forum and see how many Turbo owners need advice and help with their (usually modified) cars.

NAs are unbreakable, in the wrong hands Turbos can be troublesome.

Go for an NA!

You've had five cars in seven years? Is that even long enough to have to deal with problems? Whatever hidden horrors the previous owner bodged over could probably last at least another year.

Anyway, I've had great fun sprinting my NA, and I think a turbo one would be more awkward for MSA hillclimb classes next year, so it's not a difficult choice for me.
dawolf

Post by dawolf »

Here we go again. Turbo's are reliable cars and only cause problems when people start raising the boost without putting protective measures in place. Just because they run higher power than an N/A doesn't necessarily make them less reliable. My turbo has done 93k miles and has caused me less bother than my N/A did at the same mileage.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

Peter C wrote:....

allan welsh wrote:and watch over the coming few months how many n/a's get flung at the scenery as well as tubbies.

That's the fault of the drivers, not the cars......

yeah defo, I was trying to say that while turbo's are easier to swap ends an n/a not treated with respect will do the same. Same cause, same result :thumleft:
Peter C

Post by Peter C »

AAB wrote:

You've had five cars in seven years? Is that even long enough to have to deal with problems?

I kept my first Rev1 NA for 5 years, in which time it covered over 70k troublefree miles.
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

Peter C wrote:

Erm, thats slower than most of the newest hot hatches and too slow for me ;)

Im sure you love your NA, but they are not fast.
Peter C

Post by Peter C »

RobCrezz wrote:Erm, thats slower than most of the newest hot hatches

Agreed, but they cost £20k+ whilst a nice Rev1 GT can be had for well under £1k.

Whislt getting my Renault Megane serviced, I picked up a brochure on the limited edition Megane R26R:

It currently holds the record for being the fastest FWD production car around the Nurburgring. Looks amazing IMHO. Factory fitted roll cage, bucket seats, etc. Costs a whisker under £24k! :shock:

Im sure you love your NA, but they are not fast.

I'd argue with that. NAs are fast. Turbos are ****ing fast!
Nails

Post by Nails »

Peter C wrote:
Nails wrote:When in doubt buy the best. (Thats why Im normally skint)

So why do you only have a Keved-up Rev2? :lol: :lol: :lol:

yawn. Because standard MR2's looks boring. Because its would open a can of woop ass on your N/A. Because I got it cheap as it needed some work doing.
Peter C

Post by Peter C »

Nails wrote:yawn

Heard it all before?

Nails wrote:Because standard MR2's looks boring.

Many people on here would argue with that.

Nails wrote:Because its would open a can of woop ass on your N/A.

Probably would, as I would laughing so much at your Halfords bodykit!

Nails wrote:Because I got it cheap

I thought that you were skint?
Nails

Post by Nails »

Heard it before? Yes, usually with older blokes at work who think they know everything, and bodykits/big exhausts don't do anything and go on about how nice their standard cars are and should stay that way, usually with reference to german cars. Maybes you should buy a passat?

Halfords don't sell border or Abflug bodykits.

many people on hear would argue for the sake of it.

I'm skint because Ive just bought my first home, with cash. Some things have to be balanced out, when Ive got the work done to my new home and have recovered from the financial shock, I'll either spend a bit of money on this one, or sell up and buy something else.
Peter C

Post by Peter C »

Nails wrote:Heard it before? Yes, usually with older blokes at work who think they know everything, and bodykits/big exhausts don't do anything and go on about how nice their standard cars are and should stay that way, usually with reference to german cars. Maybes you should buy a passat?

Halfords don't sell border or Abflug bodykits.

many people on hear would argue for the sake of it.

I'm skint because Ive just bought my first home, with cash. Some things have to be balanced out, when Ive got the work done to my new home and have recovered from the financial shock, I'll either spend a bit of money on this one, or sell up and buy something else.

Sounds fair. Good luck mate.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

dawolf wrote:Here we go again. Turbo's are reliable cars and only cause problems when people start raising the boost without putting protective measures in place. Just because they run higher power than an N/A doesn't necessarily make them less reliable. My turbo has done 93k miles and has caused me less bother than my N/A did at the same mileage.

i agree. my n/a dropped a xxxxxx oil pick up ring then went on fire!!!, i've had my tubby much longer with no problems!!!
dawolf

Post by dawolf »

MR2's are one of the few cars ever built that looks great 'out of the box'. Most other cars need modifying to make them look any good. The only improvement would be slightly bigger wheels maybe.
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

^^^^ Agree with dawolf :thumleft:

N/A's are fast, deceptively so. They don't have much low down torque but you can be up to 60 much sooner than you think.

With the turbo, you know you're getting there quick because you can bearly follow the rev counter needle, you get thrown back in your seat, and you struggle for grip :lol: :twisted:

In stock form they're both very reliable IMO, when looked after. You'll always get badly looked after lemons, and suspension etc will need replacing on both, maybe a little sooner on the turbo due to greater torque forces etc...
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

I would say Turbo's are definitely more fun!

Although, I have only ever wrapped NA's round tree's :-k

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”