just bought a rev2 !

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

swisstony

just bought a rev2 !

Post by swisstony »

hello !
just bought a 1992 black rev 2 with the hopes of turning it into a track day car , would appreciate any help and advice as this is my first mr2 , will post some pics soon ,

cheers
chris \:D/
Tomiam

Re: just bought a rev2 !

Post by Tomiam »

Hi Chris,

Ive no idea whats been done with your car already so my advice is based on it being completely stock. Im assuming yours is NA as youve not mentioned it being a tubby.

Focus on brakes & tyres first. Being able to brake later / safer and have a decent level of grip on track is priceless imo.
There are various opinions on what tyres are "best" and tbh your tyre choice will depend on your level of experience (predictability of tyre) / wether the car is a day to day car as well (tyre wear) and what you feel is the best for you. The link below is a good starting point.
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/
My own car uses Toyo R888's. 195 on front and 235 on the rear. I dont have any use for the car as a day to day. R888's have been amazingly good for me, but I am aware that they are not the best tyre to use when there is standing water so wouldnt recommend them if you have to use the car every day.

Brakes.
Rogue supply carbotech brake pads, the pahther plus, which I have found to give incredable stopping power and have only had them fade once on me after Id been out on track WAYYY too long (wheels were smoking when I came in... )
http://www.roguesystems.co.uk/forms/pro ... spx?cat=27
Not the cheapest, but they are FAR better than the EBC Greens I had on before. Ive also upgraded the brake lines to braided ones (from Rogue too).

After that, Id look at suspension & weight reduction after that.

Once you get on track - I would strongly recommend purchasing tuition. Ive done a few sessions with various companies (BaT & MSE to name two) and they have always been worthwhile.

...and if you want to come along for some cheap friendly competitive fun then of course you would be welcome at the Toyota Sprint Series. We've just finished the last event and I believe the 2009 series kicks off in March. :) http://www.toyota-sprint-series.com/forums/

Hope this helps :)
swisstony

Post by swisstony »

thanks for that,

cleaned out the garage yesterday to make room for it so going to start having a good look at it soon , engine seems ok so thatts the main thing really, bodywork is a bit rough but no major rust , ill keep you posted on what i find , cheers
chris
AAB

Post by AAB »

Tomiam, are your 235s on stock wheels? I wasn't sure, and online tire/wheel things say 7" is for up to 225...
Tomiam

Post by Tomiam »

Yep, Im running 235's on stock wheels. The back end is slightly more predictable and less twitchy, although I must admit Ive been playing with suspension settings & tyre pressures too.
AAB

Post by AAB »

Thanks. It's good to know they can sit on the wheels ok. I remember you commenting to someone at Teesside how good they felt.
Simarshy

Post by Simarshy »

235 on 7" wheels is within the manufacturers specs providing the profile is 50 and the wheels are 15".

Si
AAB

Post by AAB »

Thanks, Si :)
swisstony

Post by swisstony »

already started buying bits, was planning not to do anything with the car over winter but you know what its like !

my car is a T bar so i want to buy / make some sort of blanking plates instead of the glass , has anyone done this or have any pics of this been done,

cheers
chris
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

TSS regs say you'll have to run with the tbars out anyway and I doubt you'll be able to run with blanking plates either so I wouldn't bother.
swisstony

Post by swisstony »

chhers for all the advice :thumleft:

was thinking about having a go at the TSS , i live quite near to the teeside venue so would probably have a go there , am i right in thinking i could just enter one event and see how i get on ?
chris

Return to “Member Profiles”