Customs and Excise importing of a vehicle

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

GhostWKD

Customs and Excise importing of a vehicle

Post by GhostWKD »

Anyone know much on the above in regards to an individual importing a car rather than a company?

Bought a channel islands registered '2 a while back, brought over to the uk by its last channel islands owner, sold to a member on here (paperwork still in name of last channel islands owner) then bought by me with all paperwork still in name of chan islands owner etc

Now coming to reg it in uk (its still off being repaired, 9-10 weeks - sore subject) as if its not fixed by mid next week im taking it back and doing it myself :) But to reg it as far as i know i need the following (the bits in bold i could do with guidance on)

Completed form - not a prob
Insurance - not a prob
Cash to register in uk - not a prob
Cash for tax - not a prob
MOT - will sort when car back
Foreign log book - got it
Type approval - does this apply to me? dont think it does...
Evidence of payment of duties to HM revenue/customs - not a clue what to do here? can anyone shed light on this?

Have had a search and not many people doing this themselves normally done by traders by the looks of it :(
splashnatz

Re: Customs and Excise importing of a vehicle

Post by splashnatz »

from what i've read, think you're okay "duty" wise with it coming from the channel islands (EU). Probably worth checking by email with HMRC though.

Type approval - think you only need this for vehicles up to 10 years old.

Maybe Tom Solan (sp?) form NVI , an affiliate could shed some light on it ?
GhostWKD

Post by GhostWKD »

splashnatz wrote:from what i've read, think you're okay "duty" wise with it coming from the channel islands (EU). Probably worth checking by email with HMRC though.

Type approval - think you only need this for vehicles up to 10 years old.

Maybe Tom Solan (sp?) form NVI , an affiliate could shed some light on it ?

Spoke to HMRC and i've got to pay VAT on it as yes its coming from the EU but channel islands are a tax haven :(

Asked what i'd pay VAT based on and was told market value or value by glass/parkers guides... so im working on theory of market value of a broken rev1 tubby cant be all that high :)
Rhiannan

Post by Rhiannan »

Yes that right, no duty should be paid for goods moving within the EU, but as you have discovered you will need to pay VAT. Shouldn't be much though, I was told the book value for my Rev 3 MR2 was £1600!!! So hopefully you won't have to pay too much :thumleft:
GhostWKD

Post by GhostWKD »

Right been given a C384 form - Private motor vehicle - Application for release on payment of customs duty and VAT as applicable...

Seems to be more of a if the car is sitting at the docks they wont let it out unless you fill in and pay this kind of form than a i've got the car here and need evidence vat etc has been paid

Still i can fill in most of it even if this is the correct form the bit i struggle with are;

Which country did you obtain the vehicle? - should i say UK as i bought it from Rossdymond or should i say Guernsey as if i bought the car there etc?

For vehicle not of EC manufacture has customs duty been paid in a EC country? - Is channel islands a EC country in this respect?

Decleration by importer - assume this is my info, can obviously fill this in no probs

Turn over and it has particulars of importation (place of import, ship name etc, date etc, bill of landing number etc?)

Obviously cant fill any of that in.... and also Decleration by agent... cant fill this in either? think this is more of a shipping agent if you're buying through someone so can probably leave blank?

Finally official use only bit has bits for Importer states UK certificate of insurance and examined, satisfied cleared as entered c&e 386 number x issued.... highly confusing stuff :(
GhostWKD

Post by GhostWKD »

small development i guess...

cant register it without knowing the ship/date/time the boat came across to UK on :(

Had no luck pming vodka prince on here so sent him a message earlier before i knew what info i needed #-o

Will see how develops but doesnt look good :(

Cars not even fixed yet either :(

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”