My kitted mk3 MR2 - all painted, page 2 with some pics

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Sub_Culture

My kitted mk3 MR2 - all painted, page 2 with some pics

Post by Sub_Culture »

Havent bee on here for a while so thought Id say hi. Had lots of mk2 MR2s in the past and most recently had a E36 M3 Evo.

After a while, I decided it was just too thirsty for my pockets so stuck it up for sale. Got offered a mk3 MR2. Didnt intend to keep it, but I didnt get many offers on the M3 so I figured it was newer, done less miles and should be easy to sell, so I took it. Four months on, Ive still got it and LOVE it!

Found out the car has Tein coilovers which really improve the handling compared to a standard one I test drove previously. Yes, she is slow, especially compared to some of my previous cars, but less chance of me losing my licence which is fundamental to me and probably MORE fun to drive?!

Anyway, here is a couple of pics. For those that arent sure about mk3s (and I appreciate that they arent to everyone's taste!)... have a go! They really are a laugh to drive!

Andy

Last edited by Sub_Culture on Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dawolf

Re: My kitted mk3 MR2 - all painted, page 2 with some pics

Post by dawolf »

Yeah I like mk3's but they need another 30bhp at least.
steve b

Post by steve b »

Nice cars the mk3s :thumleft:
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
Sub_Culture

Post by Sub_Culture »

dawolf wrote:Yeah I like mk3's but they need another 30bhp at least.

EASILY achievable, bud! Im aiming for 170bhp when i have the money. its all going into my R6 atm tho.

Andy
dawolf

Post by dawolf »

Hmm, I guess an induction kit, exhaust with de-cat and unichip could maybe add 15bhp at a push. How do you get the other 15bhp cheaply?
James Junior

Post by James Junior »

Nice car mate.

I think a Toyota roll bar would make her look even better.

I used to drive a mk3 a few years back - it was huge fun to drive and the handling inspired confidence. Used to play with the back end a bit in the wet which I would never have the confidence to do in my MK2's.

Glad your enjoying it after having driven some more powerful cars - just goes to show driving enjoyment isn't just about 'rip your face off' power...
Sub_Culture

Post by Sub_Culture »

dawolf wrote:Hmm, I guess an induction kit, exhaust with de-cat and unichip could maybe add 15bhp at a push. How do you get the other 15bhp cheaply?

Now I NEVER said it would be cheap! lol

Bit of headwork and the above mods should bring her close to 165bhp which will be close enough for me.

Andy
aerokit

Post by aerokit »

nice cars the roadster, bit more power needed tho definately, like the blue and gold combo, very Jappy
www.REPLIKIT.co.uk
Excellent fitting bodykits
Fitment Guarantee
Carbon bootlids, headlight covers, rear panels in stock.
Sub_Culture

Post by Sub_Culture »

REPLiKiT wrote:nice cars the roadster, bit more power needed tho definately, like the blue and gold combo, very Jappy

Thank you. I actually spoke to you guys the other day but you werent able to offer a kit for a roadster (I mentioned I had built previous cars, was it you I spoke to?). Anyway, still think with the kit and the blue/gold combo and some engine and interior work, it could be a real showstopper!

Keep my username if you ever get a kit in?

Andy
aerokit

Post by aerokit »

we'd like to build a kit for the mk3 actually as we dont offer one yet. if you can round up 5 mk 5 owners and get some ideas together we'd be more than happy to build something. rough price guide is £189 for bumpers and £179 for skirts. we like the porsche front but havent come across one we can use to mould yet, anyone out there with one?
www.REPLIKIT.co.uk
Excellent fitting bodykits
Fitment Guarantee
Carbon bootlids, headlight covers, rear panels in stock.
Sub_Culture

Post by Sub_Culture »

REPLiKiT wrote:we'd like to build a kit for the mk3 actually as we dont offer one yet. if you can round up 5 mk 5 owners and get some ideas together we'd be more than happy to build something. rough price guide is £189 for bumpers and £179 for skirts. we like the porsche front but havent come across one we can use to mould yet, anyone out there with one?

The Top Secret front bumper... thats what Im after the most. Well, that and the MS Design kit, but they no longer seem to produce it which is a real shame. I could get 5 people together easily enough. Will be in touch tomorrow.

Andy
pcp

Post by pcp »

as far as kits go this is the nicest mk3 i've seen
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/garage.php ... e&CID=2190

=P~
RoadsterBoy

Post by RoadsterBoy »

Ah yes, Nigel's awesome v6 engined beast, outside the villa he had on our club trip to corfu this year 8) It certainly is an swersome looking beast :clap:
ilogik

Post by ilogik »

you can take a mould from my kit for a cost :wink:
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

I still think the mk3 can be pretty attractive from a lot of angles if it's lower and has a good paint scheme. Could someone post up the pic of the g/fs car from my gallery for me pls as proof. Many thanks.
Has to be said all good looking cars so far. Think the kit looks better with the soft top but still considering. How many of you mk3 owners have knocked the pre-cats out on your cars? Miches is coming up to the end of extended warranty and wondering if it's a sensible precaution? Interested to hear views.

R.
ilogik

Post by ilogik »

your a mad man keeping them in, i removed mine, i heard of stories of 40k engine having the failure and killing the engine and 100k ones being fine, best to be safe and get them removed.
pcp

Post by pcp »

ilogik wrote:you can take a mould from my kit for a cost :wink:

lovely car =P~
Sub_Culture

Post by Sub_Culture »

ilogik wrote:you can take a mould from my kit for a cost :wink:
Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://url.photobucket.com/albums/v709/ ... 1_0002.jpg

Hi buddy, Seen you on ROC a bit. Put a few bids on the Trial kit on Ebay, but Ive got these to go on tomorrow (if i get time)!!!! Should look a bit more spesh! The lip and rear have already been painted, going to fit the sideskirts on the car (as they are fibreglass are clearly wont fit without a bit of modding) then get them painted in a few weeks after Ive firmed them up with a bit of foam injection.

And yes, the precats are on the list to go, most definitely! Dont use the car very much at the moment (spending most of my time stripping a R6 atm).

Andy

Sub_Culture

Post by Sub_Culture »

My plans were somewhat thwarted today. Went on the hunt for some polyurethane bonding agent (Tiger seal etc) but couldnt find any ANYWHERE! Tried Screwfix, Homebase EVEN Halfords! Never mind, will have to get some in the week and perhaps have a go next weekend.

I did put the rear bumper on though. Was only 45 minutes off and the new one on, so no time at all. Very happy with it.

Here are a few pics of removing the old one and putting the new one on.

Andy

Lights out

Bumper off!

Bumper on

Lights on!

Few better angles

Sub_Culture

Post by Sub_Culture »

Decided to make the most of my morning before my late shift at work. Got round to fitting one of the sideskirts. From the reports I had heard, I was expecting it to be a bit of a b1tch to fit, but it was fine. Door sills needed a bit of persuasion (in the form of about 5 huge self tappers!!!) but its all on where I want it now.

It has been bonded with a PU adhesive (screwed into situ to hold it for a day til the PU takes) and injected with expanding foam to give it a little more rigidity and to take the stress of the PU.

Heres a couple of pics. I think one the front is on, it should look pretty nice. Im happy with the back higher than the sideskirt (I knew this was going to happen) as I like that look. If the front doesnt level with the skirts, I will make an additional splitter to bolt on underneath that so it doesnt look at all different stages! Should give it quite a mean stance I think.

Andy

And my helping hand!... :lol:

Return to “Member Profiles”