Some fun in the rain!

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

acexxx

Some fun in the rain!

Post by acexxx »

I've just fitted a Veilside Steering wheel to my Mk1 and it looks amazing. It was raining so I took Him to a massive empty car park and tried some drifting. It was a good laugh but I couldn't really get him to do it. Is the Mk1 any good for drifting?
Firestick

Re: Some fun in the rain!

Post by Firestick »

Not sure it's got the outright power for consistent drifting.
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

Its very hard for the mk1 to drift, the back end just has to much grip and not enough power.

Jo and Garricks mk1 SC can drift but not sure about others.
WeirdNeville

Post by WeirdNeville »

An open diff and too much weight over the back wheels pretty much seal the deal for the MK1. They're also very hard to stop the rear swinging once you've started it (properly). It can't do power oversteer at speed, and the level of provocation required to get it to break traction means that you'll be well out of shape by the time it lets go, leading to pirouettes rather than progressive lairy slides.

I'm not saying it's impossible, just that you'll mark yourself out as one of the more talented drifters if you manage to consistently drift in a Mk1. Oh, and don't use your favorite car for practice. :wink:

This is pretty special:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vmw4_WRUhrY
Tom G

Post by Tom G »

At the last sprint series event I was better at spinning than drifting :lol: that's with plenty of power and an LSD, once it broke traction I was facing the other way before i could say "opposite lock"

1987 Mk1.5, CT20b, LSD, Chargecooled, 260...290bhp (est)
2003 330ci M-sport
1995 Polo 1.3CL
redmk1

Post by redmk1 »

jaspa had a good drift in his mk1 on saturday in the rain :lol: :lol:
NDR008

Post by NDR008 »

In Japan, and UK DriftWorks people, the opinion of the AW11 is:

Designed as sensitive grip car.
You can get the AW11 sideways - sure, keeping it that way is hard.

Some people however (even who drift professionally) say that if you can drift an AW11 it sets the man from the boys as far as drifting is concerned.

My AW11 is sideways happy at the moment with the xxxx tyres I got, I don't mind it when I decide it to do so, but today during my lunch break at work, I went out for a 1mile drive to TESCO, and jesus... 15mph and ended sideways on a roundabout while I was thinking what sandwich to buy - made me buy smokes instead lol :P (Still enjoyed it obviously!!! :thumleft: )
bobbyh

Post by bobbyh »

quote--

It can't do power oversteer at speed, and the level of provocation required to get it to break traction means that you'll be well out of shape by the time it lets go, leading to pirouettes rather than progressive lairy slides.

the first time I had chance to propely provoke mine (1st RWD car) over saddleworth moor, I ended up in a ditch after a right hander with a sneaky crest on it..
everything went light and very sideways!
crazybrightman

Post by crazybrightman »

drifting a mk1 is very hard, too much weight, especialy over the back end and not enough power means you have very little control over it. slight power sliding is easy, drifting is a different kettle of fish.
4agte on the way
t-bar89

Post by t-bar89 »

This must be why the AW11 doesn't feature in "the fast and the furious - tokyo drift" film then... :-k

:whistle:
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

for a true drift you do need an LSD box. An open box you are only really power sliding, and not putting power through both rears.
The weight at the rear makes the car pendulum too easily or spin.
Jonny (bookatrack and AKA 'caterham drift king' LOL) can drift our SC all day long, but my talent only gets the controlled drift once in a while. mostly i just catch power slides from spinning rather than provoke a true drift from the onset.
roundabout stuff is just really catching the car from spinning.
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

*Pats N/a gearbox with a TRD LSD all warm and cosy inside* :mrgreen:

Shame the cars in bits :(
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

My SC would drift beautifully...but then I had a Quaife LSD. :eye:
I think an SC with an LSD of some description can drift very well, but it's a much, much finer line than say on a front engined RWD.
T
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

As Crazybrightman said, the back end is very hard to control. Even worse in the rain unfortunately. I have ripped my rear tyres out trying to learn how to control the rear when it snaps around, but there is no easy way.

Practise on a field lol that way you wont ruin your tyres.

My mate who is nyon a professional driver could drift his mk1 around roundabouts and large junctions, but it took alot of effort and practise. Not something to do with medium traffic on the road, as the back end is very unpredictable!
DJJAW11

Post by DJJAW11 »

acexxx wrote:I've just fitted a Veilside Steering wheel to my Mk1 and it looks amazing. It was raining so I took Him to a massive empty car park and tried some drifting. It was a good laugh but I couldn't really get him to do it. Is the Mk1 any good for drifting?

Power has nothink to do with it, but it can help, basically ours are balanced to well,compared to FR cars, but it is possible...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeHaMdset9Y

and slightly more of toppick but (see poker vids, thought course rear engined)...

http://speedhunters.com/videos/default.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBx4W6v9EUc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjFEgGsXii8&NR=1

David

http://www.carpron.com/multisite/v/Upload/DJJ/

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”