Engine mount away??

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

acexxx

Engine mount away??

Post by acexxx »

Hi. I got my clutch done about a month ago. I was happy to begin with but after a short time I noticed that everytime I accelerate there is a clicking at the rear. Could this be an engine mount? The clutch also judders when pulling away in first but I think it's to do with clicking.

Any ideas! :-k
Rupert

Re: Engine mount away??

Post by Rupert »

Hi,

I had what sounds like a similar problem with my Mk1 (last time it was working anyway!). I had a low speed vibration and noise which I took to be the engine mounts. At great expense I replaced all the engine mounts and the noise and vibration didn't go away.

I lived with it until the problem got more pronounced and the car became undriveable above 50 mph. It turned out to be the nearside driveshaft. The inner CV boot had been damaged by the small tin guard that sits above it being bent at some point, I'd lost all the grease and the rollers had broken up.

If I were you I'd just check the CV joint boots. If they are intact I think you are pretty safe to assume they are okay, I'm wrong and you'll have to wait for someone else to post!. I don't imagine they fail that often as they don't have to work anywhere near as hard on a MR2 as they do in a front wheel drive vehicle.

Anyway, have a look underneath, good luck, Rupert.
boyzdad

Post by boyzdad »

A bit more info here.....

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=105565

I hope this helps.

Regards

MATT! :)
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »