Oil seems to drain away overnight

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

boyzdad

Oil seems to drain away overnight

Post by boyzdad »

I just had a quick thought, just before I stripped this engine down, I noticed that the oil was draining back into the sump overnight.

If I did a level check after a quick run the oil would be 1/2 way on the dipstick (I have the shorter dipstick on my engine). When checked in the morning the oil level would be back to the top.

Is this normal? Have I got the correct oil fiilter? Is there a fault somewere I don't know about, the last thing I want to do is wreck my nice new rebuilt engine (when I have finished it later today hopefully!)

Regards

MATT! :)
BIGBOBO

Re: Oil seems to drain away overnight

Post by BIGBOBO »

Euh...

Oil always runs back to the sump. Gravity etc.

Checking oil should always be done after the engine has been off for a while, to let the oil run down again.

I did hear of some oil filters which run dry if the engine isn't running. Try a search for more information, IIRC there has been a topic on that in the last few months.

Somehow I feel I misunderstood your question since it seems rather "simple" for someone who is able to rebuild an engine.
:?
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

The oil will run/drain back to the sump, but the componants will still be coated in oil to protect for the first few cranks.

The problem is if it has been sat for ages or cleaned etc, that coating will be gone, then pour oil in from the head (a little) and hand crank for a while (with a socket on the crank and leads connected) to get the oil pumping and covering everything, then start away :thumleft:
boyzdad

Post by boyzdad »

Somehow I feel I misunderstood your question since it seems rather "simple" for someone who is able to rebuild an engine.
[Confused]

No, you have not misunderstood, maybe i need to be a bit more specific, the sump holds 3.3L to full (from memory). After starting the car the dipstick indicates half, assuming, lets say, 1.3L (nice easy number) to make a mark on the dipstick then when I start the car I loose 1L of oil, this is alot, for any car, normally only seen on a filter change.

After leaving overnight, or even shorter, the oil level is up to full again, this means 1L has drained back, graviy or not, I have never had an engine that "holds" 1L of oil in the internal spaces.

So as you can see, this is not as "simple" as it seems, although reading the rest of your post it seems that I may have fallen fowl of a cheapy oil filter, its a wix item. I have replaced it with a Fram item on my rebuilt engine, which will hopefully cure the symptons.

The engine is now running, I just need to set it up.

Thanks for the heads up, I will do some more oil-filter investigation.

Regards

BIGBOBO

Post by BIGBOBO »

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... oil+filter

This is the thread I was talking about, hope that helps.
boyzdad

Post by boyzdad »

Brilliant, thanks for that ;) I will check my car in the morning, if it's drained I will get a Toyota one ;)

I don't fancy lunching my engine before I get a chance to drive it!!

Regards

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”