BRAIN TEASER FOR YOU

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

GIZMONKEY

BRAIN TEASER FOR YOU

Post by GIZMONKEY »

i've just replaced my interior door panel (mr2 mark 2 1990-import) and ever since then my side mirrors do not move or retract (they did before) i've tried to retrace wires and looked around for the fuse in the many fuse boxes (can't find anything that says its for mirrors ) windows and locks are still working........anyone any ideas?????only had the car for a week DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE THE FUSE EXACTLY IS????? :-k
Ian Geary

Re: BRAIN TEASER FOR YOU

Post by Ian Geary »

I had a similar problem recently - after I'd fitted components to my door, the electric adjusting mirrors stopped working.

Getting the trim off again the problem was obvious - one of the multiplugs into the driver's door control panel wasn't clipped in properly and had come loose.

I plugged in the control unit in with the door trim still off, and it worked fine.

I don't know where the fuse is though, but there are some next to the accelarator pedal that aren't obvious.

hth

Ian
GIZMONKEY

mirrors

Post by GIZMONKEY »

cheers ian......i've had the panel back off , no sign of anything loose.......and checked the fuses near the accelerator........all seem intact
Ian Geary

Re: BRAIN TEASER FOR YOU

Post by Ian Geary »

hmm,

it's going to be a bit more tricky then. have you got a multimetre?

I'd test the wires going to the mirrors for any sign of power coming to them when the ignition is on and you are operating the mirror controls.

If no power is getting to that part of the wiring loom then it's a problem with either the switch / connector block wiring or a bad earth.

There was a post a while back on here called "electric mirros - apparently" a guy basically found the printed circuit board in the swithc had cracked, breaking the electrical contacts and stopping his mirrors working.

If there is power getting to the wiring loom, then it could be the mirror units themselves not working.

With a multimetre, try testing the mirror for continuity. If there is no contiunity - ie power isn't going round the mirror, then the unit's motor has probably broken.

hth

Ian

Return to “Electrical”