Smell of Petrol in Cabin. Help needed.

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

DNOS808

Smell of Petrol in Cabin. Help needed.

Post by DNOS808 »

Hi
I have the smell of petrol in the cabin problem on my mk1b. I believe that this is a known problem. Can any one describe a solution or direct me to somwhere that does?
Regards
Andrew
waynestoyotamr2

Re: Smell of Petrol in Cabin. Help needed.

Post by waynestoyotamr2 »

I believe there is a knowledge base article on this, am sure someone will direct you to it?
"If in doubt - just make the numbers up!" ;)
The TVIS Kid

Post by The TVIS Kid »

i'm sure eyou can buy a petrol vapour trap. Do a search and it should pop up.
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

Swapped mine on saturday as mine was doing this cured it 1st time \:D/

An easy job if you take out the battery first :oops:
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
S A Watt

Post by S A Watt »

Give Jinxy a PM.

He will be able to let you have the article and how to cure the vapour trap problem.

Quite common problem. i used Jinxys solution and no problem since involves running a pipe from Vapour trap.

I am sure it was in the Mk1 club mag a while back :-k

shane
Porl\'\'

Post by Porl\'\' »

I did the jinxy mod this weekend and so far it has fixed the smelly petrol cabin i've had for ages! I got a new vapour trap from Toyota (which was extorsionatly expensive for what it is) and it didnt fix it. I routed my new pipe along what looks like the hand brake cable to aim at the wheel arch. :)

Easy mod well worth doing. \:D/
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

I heard a few people have replaced the vapour trap and it didnt fix the problem. I did the jinxy fix and it works perfect.
NDR008

Post by NDR008 »

Right, I have the same issue, but it never bothered me. What is worrying me - why does it not work when you replace the parts? Surely it used to work as new so why not when putting new parts??
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

I dont think it never really worked from new that well. There was rumours that on a first service toyota mechanics would disconnect the pipe from the trap. This works but jinxys method of running the pipe to the rear of the car is safer.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Has anyone got a link for info on this or do I need to PM Jinxy? I don't mind but I didn't want him to be bombarded with requests!
michael

Post by michael »

Just out of interest do you folks with the smell get a hiss from your fuel cap when you open it?
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

michael wrote:Just out of interest do you folks with the smell get a hiss from your fuel cap when you open it?

I do, Why?
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
michael

Post by michael »

Jaspa wrote:
michael wrote:Just out of interest do you folks with the smell get a hiss from your fuel cap when you open it?

I do, Why?

I had a similar issue on another car recently, strong smell of fuel in the cabin and around the back end of the car after a drive - turned out to be the seal on the filler cap, replaced this and problem solved.

No hiss when the problem was around, now I have one.

Just curious really, doesn't sound like the same thing :)
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

Hmm, I have a spare cap at home, I'll give that a go at the weekend and report back.

Thanks Michael :thumleft:

Stuart
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

My cap hiss's when i remove it and i had the smell. No smell at all around the car only when driving with the sunroof or window open.
WeirdNeville

Post by WeirdNeville »

This is surely because the tank is sealed, and the act of pumping the fuel out of it lowers the air pressure inside faster than the air can seep past the cap seal? Or are there tank breathers I don't know about?
NDR008

Post by NDR008 »

Fuel evaporates too, and one of the emission tests are the rate of evaporation of fuel, not sure if this would apply for a car so old, but there is an attempt to keep the fuel tank at relative negative pressure to prevent this from happening. So that could be the hiss.

Or in the case of my Fiat, a design that relieves the pressure by either splitting the fuel tank or washing you with fuel when you go put more fuel.... (was recalled but the same tank was fitted.... till the next car revision - another three years down the line).
milli

Post by milli »

Here's the link to The Jinxy Fix: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... 952#310952

It's cheap. It's easy. It works. He is a God.
jimi

Post by jimi »

The tank isn't sealed, it's vented via the fuel separator which separates fumes from the fuel, a vent line goes from that to the check valve on the chassis and from there into the chassis (or wherever you have extended it to)
If it wasn't vented there's a danger of a pressure build up due to fuel evaporation, which could cause the tank to burst.
Jimi
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

milli wrote:Here's the link to The Jinxy Fix: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... 952#310952

It's cheap. It's easy. It works. He is a God.

Thanks! :)

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”