Mr2 Super Edition, SC white over gold for sale , i'm nothing to do with it!

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Celesa

Re: Mr2 Super Edition, SC white over gold for sale , i'm nothing to do with it!

Post by Celesa »

Mine is currently going through restoration, if you would like to see some pics of 88 SE, here are some:

NOTE: The momo steering wheel is missing from the interior!!
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

Gold teardrops, I like those.

I like the interior too, i'm quite fond of the colour scheme.
HT

Post by HT »

^^ same here - interior tweaks make it look more upmarket, a far better comprimise than the full leather in the UK.

I wonder looking at pictures of Mark's SE and other jap cars of the era, whether the steerng wheel is fairly generic?

Anyway really love the colour scheme, makes it stand out fromt he crowd. 8)
Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve

Post by Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve »

I like the colour but why is it that i have always been told the Japs never liked leather.
Maybe it's because they are not sitting on it?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve wrote:I like the colour but why is it that i have always been told the Japs never liked leather.

Is possibly due to climate as well. horrendously hot in summer so I here, so at least if the seats are cloth for the bits you sit on you won't get a burnt bum!

/pure speculation.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
HT

Post by HT »

Lauren wrote:
Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve wrote:I like the colour but why is it that i have always been told the Japs never liked leather.

Is possibly due to climate as well. horrendously hot in summer so I here, so at least if the seats are cloth for the bits you sit on you won't get a burnt bum!

/pure speculation.

Strange I thoguht the japs were into torture games :wink:
bburn13

Post by bburn13 »

89 SC - Beauty.
89 Track n/ail - The Red Dwarf
84 Blue 1.5 Tin Top Rummy, 54 RX8 -Rex
t-bar89

Post by t-bar89 »

No way would I pay £3900 for that! [-X
Ben

Post by Ben »

Surely if you want that much money for a car you'd take some decent pictures. They're all dull and slightly blurry. It makes that gold paint look like the underside of the car is dirty, especially the shot of the rear of the car!
Celesa

Post by Celesa »

I agree, at least make a better effort on the pictures.....and clean the interior!
Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve

Post by Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve »

It looks as though he thinks being a Super edition it will sell itself, so he has made little effort tidying it up,
I'm sure it will soon have to come down in price for him to sell it.
Sharpfish

Post by Sharpfish »

Still can't believe people are charging twice as much for SCs as what they went for almost ten years ago... and people pay!

These are not Ferraris. :mrgreen:
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

I'm sorry, but a car is only worth what someone will pay.

AE86's cost £5k+ today, and they were a budget car to a MR2 in its day. THe MR2 mk1 is only now cheap because of the attitudes of some of the owners.

£4k for the rarest mk1 in the country (possibly, the only white/gold SE in the country, is fair IMO) is fair.

£2-£3k for a mint mk1 is nothing.
Sharpfish

Post by Sharpfish »

There are MANY amazing used cars out there for the £2 - £3k mark, most of which are at least 5 maybe ten years newer and less rusty than a mk1 MR2.

Hey you don't need to tell me, I'm a massive mk1 fan (obviously), I understand why people desire them and understand why they can't be compared like for like with other mass consumer late 80's cars... but they are already fetching a premium at £1500 for an 88 car, most cars of that age go for £300-£500 (normal cars that cost just as much as an MR2 in it's day).

There is a lot of rubbish about, and I have no problem with £2 - £3k mr2s that are in VGC. But £5k is pushing things big time, even if it is an SC, it would have to be almost mint for me to pay that. I paid half that ten years ago for a 48k mileage, first owner in this country SC.. it was an auto so factor in 500-1k less than a manual and that gives you £3.5k. Now the SCs i'm seeing come up for these high prices (£4-£5k) are not usually 'fresh imports' but have been in the UK for a number of years and suffer just like the NAs do (rust).

You are right that if people pay that much then it was 'worth it' to them but I'm allowed to express my disbelief that someone would pay £5k for a mk1 sc in 'average' condition when they could add 2k on and get an elise/vx220 or add nothing and get a mk3 almost 15 years newer (and i'm not condoning mk3s either ;) )

Personally I would never pay over £3k for a mk1 mr2 even if fully restored (maybe perhaps a 1.5 if the shell is good). As it's simply at odds with the rest of the car world and what is around for that price. It's the king in it's price bracket for sure - nothing compares - but when you get up to that elise/newer car area it's not as simple.

ALL IMO. \:D/
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

cartledge_uk wrote:
AE86's cost £5k+ today

Have dropped a lot recently.. now more like £4k+

cartledge_uk wrote:The MR2 mk1 is only now cheap because of the attitudes of some of the owners.

Agreed..

I'm waiting for the day that us Mk1 owners stop giving our cars away as numbers are getting thinner and thinner every year.
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
Sharpfish

Post by Sharpfish »

Ollie @ Skyinsurance wrote:

Agreed..

I'm waiting for the day that us Mk1 owners stop giving our cars away as numbers are getting thinner and thinner every year.

Well that's the thing you see. I like the mk1 to own, to drive and to enjoy 'forever' not to sell on/to make profit so I don't ever think about what the resale value is.

However as a buyer (at this moment in time) I am very much caring about the prices as far from this 'giving away' you think happens I've seen mostly the opposite... except where the cars are poor condition and then sub £1k is extremely fair imo when you look at what you are getting. Fanatics are not the right people to ask. I'm sure in the future their prices will go up again (the whole 'classic car' thing) but not based on the condition the vast majority of mk1s for sale at the moment are in.

I think it's better to sell a rough example for sub £1k to an enthusiast (like me) who will likely spend triple that on it over the years (but never expect that back) and appreciate it as a fun vehicle rather than a garage ornament - instead of 'tarting it up' with some filler and a cheap respray and asking £2k+ for it so that it looks 'legit'. :)

I'm just not that money orientated, I love the cars and I'm just thankful that they were within my price range to begin with (sub £3k) back in 2001.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Actually I think, the second hand car climate being what it is, that price does need to come down. Just because very few people have the dosh to buy anything, and £4K gets a lot of newer car at the moment.

T
Sharpfish

Post by Sharpfish »

tonigmr2 wrote:Actually I think, the second hand car climate being what it is, that price does need to come down. Just because very few people have the dosh to buy anything, and £4K gets a lot of newer car at the moment.

T

Yep I agree.

And if you look at it another way. Enthusiasm should NOT come down to price. Just because I can't afford to spend £5k on another mr2 right now doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to buy a cheaper one and 'nuture it' back to health.

It's better to sell on those neglected car at prices that people/fans can afford who will put renewed energy into the car. If they are priced too high they end up sitting on drives for 3 years not selling and ultimately seize up or rot away and that's what kills the mr2s not their 'cheap prices'. I'd much rather mr2 owners as a whole sold their cars on cheaper if it meant people who had time for them could actually buy them, rather than them being garage ornaments or left to rot because the owner wanted too much (out of line with other good used car prices) and they didn't sell, but said owner had 'moved on' to a company car or upgraded etc...

And as for the 'classic car' price and mr2 prices rising eventually, that will happen (or not) naturally, but it's too soon to try and force this on the market as I see a lot of sellers doing (all the 'rare' and 'classic' words used in ads). If you've got a VGC mk1 then it will hold value and rise eventually but one single owner can't dictate to an entire market and industry and those 'cheap' mk1s that people reckon they've seen given away, if true (and not the usual rusty sheds), only serve to counter balance the ridiculously inflated prices I've seen on some and keep it somewhat sane.

I know if the mk1 didn't have it's engine in the middle, and didn't look as cool as it does that people would be forced to say "well yeah it's just a 1.6 2 door coupe from the 80's with 2 rotten arches, a leak and a floorpan that's seen better days - £150 sold as seen". It's the owners that make the car what it is, the passion we have for them and the way we talk about them and keep their spirit alive, I hate it when it all comes down to money as the MR2, even when new, was still a cheap alternative to exotic sports cars - and now at £1-£2k it remains so (inline). Above that and you're into premium terrority. Go put £4k into autotrader and click on 2 Doors / coupe etc and see what comes up - it's amazing what stunning cars are out there (a lot of them ten years younger too!). I personally prefer the mk1 mr2 to any of those cars (this side of £8k) but it's still a niche and the prices must reflect this.

Be honest in your prices, be realistic, don't give them away but accept them for what they are and remember it's in the owning and the driving that makes them special not the (re)sale price.
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

cartledge_uk wrote:I'm sorry, but a car is only worth what someone will pay.

AE86's cost £5k+ today, and they were a budget car to a MR2 in its day. The MR2 mk1 is only now cheap because of the attitudes of some of the owners.

£4k for the rarest mk1 in the country (possibly, the only white/gold SE in the country, is fair IMO) is fair.

£2-£3k for a mint mk1 is nothing.

I Agree with you tim When I bought my first mk1 I paid GBP 6400 for it ran it for 2,1/2 years and sold it for 5k Mind you that was 11,1/2 years ago now but hey that was the going rate at the time for a lowish mile FTSH G reg t-bar (I know I looked long enough).

I cant beleive how cheap these cars are now and today I blew off a porche boxter in the bendy stuff cause they were puffs :lol:
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

oukie wrote:
I cant beleive how cheap these cars are now and today I blew off a porche boxter in the bendy stuff cause they were puffs :lol:

GLOL!!!!

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”