General question about performance?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MRturbo

General question about performance?

Post by MRturbo »

Hi their,

Just wanted to know what an mr2 turbo will perform like against a gts skyline with nothing more than an induction kit and exhaust? Just a guy it work thinks it will destroy an mr2 turbo, anyone been against one?

cheers
Sidewinder

Re: General question about performance?

Post by Sidewinder »

On the straights? On the twisties? Off the line? Top speed? ...Or all the above? :D

Only one way to find out... :wink:
Mk2 NA Rev1 -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev2 -*- Mk1 NA -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev 3 = all gone!

Post by Quigonjay »

rev 3 tubby and skyline r33gts have about the same power but the skyline weighs about 100kgs more, i would guess that the mr2 would take it :mrgreen:
stevenb

Post by stevenb »

mr2 tubby would beat a r33 gts anyday anytime.
on the other hand a r33 gts-t (turbo model) would be a bit closer...but I'd say the tubby would still win. :wink:
Neal_MR2

Post by Neal_MR2 »

Haha, what about an R34 skyline?
stevenb

Post by stevenb »

which model?
scotiamr2t

Post by scotiamr2t »

mr2 turbo 0-60 5.4secs
skyline gts-t 0-60 (R33) 6.2secs

says it all really.

although alot depends on the driver
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

One would assume an average mr2 driver vs an average r34 driver the r34 would streak ahead, much more friendly car on the limit.
scotiamr2t

Post by scotiamr2t »

I take it were talkin R34 GTR then if yes the R34 would pull away (not streak ahead) if were talkin gts-t then nope the '2 would pull away easily. gtr is easier on the limit gts-t aint, gtr greatly benefits from the 4wd aws system
GeoffC320

Post by GeoffC320 »

A year or so ago I was chatting to the importer that brought my turbo into the country. We talked about the R33 GT-S (RWD turbo) and he said it was the worst car ever in the wet - incomparably bad compared to the MR2.

He said they weren't bad in the dry though...
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

quigonjay wrote:rev 3 tubby and skyline r33gts have about the same power but the skyline weighs about 100kgs more, i would guess that the mr2 would take it :mrgreen:

You'll find it weighs a fare bit more than that....around 250+Kgs heavier :shock:

Mikejc
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

Mikejc wrote:
quigonjay wrote:rev 3 tubby and skyline r33gts have about the same power but the skyline weighs about 100kgs more, i would guess that the mr2 would take it :mrgreen:

You'll find it weighs a fare bit more than that....around 250+Kgs heavier :shock:

Mikejc

the 4wd gtr version yes, but the gts single turbo rwd (which is what i asume he's talking about) weighs in at 1370kgs
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

quigonjay wrote:
Mikejc wrote:

Mikejc

the 4wd gtr version yes, but the gts single turbo rwd (which is what i asume he's talking about) weighs in at 1370kgs

If that's true i'll be amazed ! :-k

Given the size of the MR2 by comparison and it's weight of 1250/1280Kgs I am triuelly baffled that the Skyline (GTR or GT-S) could be so light given it's size!

Where did you pull your info from?

Mikejc
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

Mikejc wrote:
quigonjay wrote:
Mikejc wrote:

Mikejc

If that's true i'll be amazed ! :-k

Given the size of the MR2 by comparison and it's weight of 1250/1280Kgs I am triuelly baffled that the Skyline (GTR or GT-S) could be so light given it's size!

Where did you pull your info from?

Mikejc

http://www.motortraders.net/imports/spec.asp?id=652
http://www.motortraders.net/imports/spec.asp?id=647

hth
Jay
Neal_MR2

Post by Neal_MR2 »

Ah well, my mate has the R33, at least when i get me tubby il be able to challenge him some! =;
skytek

skyline

Post by skytek »

The Japanese guys who fixed up my car took me for a spin in their skyline on Thursday. I don't know what model it was but Alex (the mechanic) said it was now sitting at about 500bhp and let me just say the thing felt like a monster! It flew!! The acceleration was immense, especially in first and second. Alex said they're about to start work to get it up to 700bhp! :shock: I don't particularly like the look of skylines, although the front lights are pretty mean. I also don't like the huge size and the fact that they seem like a big family saloon except much faster. I was however very impressed at how fast this thing was and how well it gripped the road!
stevecordiner

Post by stevecordiner »

Standard for standard the mr2 will murder it off the mark. I'd imagine the skyline might have legs on it at the top end though.

Remember a rev 3 turbo pulls a similar 1/4 mile to the R34 GTR in standard form.

The RB25 engine is a good lump. IIRC there was a gtst skyline running low 11's at ten of the best last year. So they can be modded too!
Small turbos - they're not big and they're not clever!

Just say NO to small turbos!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”