Loch Lomond/Alfa Romeo Brera 2.4JTD Review

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mattcambs

Re: Loch Lomond/Alfa Romeo Brera 2.4JTD Review

Post by mattcambs »

I had a 1.1litre new Corsa as a courtesy car earlier this year and the drive-by-wire was sooooo sheeeite that you could quickly stamp the throttle to the floor and up again and the engine wouldn't even respond!

To car manufacturers: WHY????? Seriously, why? :mad:

DBW puts me off new cars completely.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

mattcambs wrote:I had a 1.1litre new Corsa as a courtesy car earlier this year and the drive-by-wire was sooooo sheeeite that you could quickly stamp the throttle to the floor and up again and the engine wouldn't even respond!

My old panda dismal was like that.

My new 100hp however has a 'sport' button. This has become the default mode for me. With the button pressed throttle response (drive by wire) is very sharp indeed. So it's not all bad. Of course if I turn sport mode off then i can move the throttle quickly and there is a smoothed out response. Hence why I never turn sport off. :+:

So don't think all new cars are like this.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
BarronMR

Post by BarronMR »

mattcambs wrote:I had a 1.1litre new Corsa as a courtesy car earlier this year and the drive-by-wire was sooooo sheeeite that you could quickly stamp the throttle to the floor and up again and the engine wouldn't even respond!

So they can sell you the 'sport' package that sharpens up the throttle by *insert random figure*%. :)

Why don't they just have the sharp throttle control all the time, surely its just a bit of extra programming. ](*,)

I bet they don't slow brake reponse down electronically then charge us to speed it back up again. lol
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

BarronMR wrote:
So they can sell you the 'sport' package that sharpens up the throttle by *insert random figure*%. :)

Why don't they just have the sharp throttle control all the time, surely its just a bit of extra programming. ](*,)

I bet they don't slow brake reponse down electronically then charge us to speed it back up again. lol

I would say the reason is because if you are a bit clod footed there is some potential to kangaroo down the road in sport mode as the throttle is very sensitive.

Personally I don't see the problem. I drive my car in sport mode all the time. No problem. :+:
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Lauren wrote:

I would say the reason is because if you are a bit clod footed there is some potential to kangaroo down the road in sport mode as the throttle is very sensitive.

Personally I don't see the problem. I drive my car in sport mode all the time. No problem. :+:

I'd say its more for emissions reasons as the dbw systems will communicate with the ecu for better mileage. Also I doubt they get the mpg or the emissions data from running the car in sports mode.

As for alfas, all modern ones leave me cold barring the 8c which i'll probably never be able to afford. I wouldnt say no to a 155 Q4 Turbo or a classic GTA =P~

It's nice of alfa to cocktease everyone with a rwd supercar and then make their sporty coupe a heavy fwd barge.
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

Race Idiot wrote:
It's nice of alfa to cocktease everyone with a rwd supercar and then make their sporty coupe a heavy fwd barge.

:lol:

Oi! Alfa!............

........ [-X
BarronMR

Post by BarronMR »

Lauren wrote:
BarronMR wrote:

But everyone seemed to manage when we were cable operated (which ain't slow if n/a) how much faster can DBW be and surely the base system could be programmed to mimic what cable throttle used to be like and put the sport there for as fast as the system can go. :-s

I agree though its more likely to be emissions/mpg improvement technology.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Nowt wrong with cable operated throttles but really they are a thing of the past thesedays.

My new car almost feels like a cable operated throttle with no slack at all. I'm not sure its a question of DBW being faster as such, but it does mean manufacturers can tune the perceived responsiveness of the engine.
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

He was quite impressed but then started mumbling about it being a nail because it was an alfa.

That made me GLOL :+:

He's right you know :tongue:
tonigmr2 wrote:Fear me, for I am watching :clown:

Return to “Driving Experiences”