Great Weekend!

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

waynestoyotamr2

Re: Great Weekend!

Post by waynestoyotamr2 »

Although from what I have heard I also can't help feel severely let down by the lack of club presence there.

Agreed.

Really sad to see there wasnt really anything present from the Mk1 club. Perhaps a sign of the times nowadays sadly?

It felt like we were "the MR2 Mk1 Club - part of IMOC" which I do not have a problem with - but really would of liked to see some representation from the Mk1 Club, as in my heart thats what I feel I am more a member of.

Still had a bl00dy great time though!
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

waynestoyotamr2 wrote:
Although from what I have heard I also can't help feel severely let down by the lack of club presence there.

Agreed.

Really sad to see there wasnt really anything present from the Mk1 club. Perhaps a sign of the times nowadays sadly?

It felt like we were "the MR2 Mk1 Club - part of IMOC" which I do not have a problem with - but really would of liked to see some representation from the Mk1 Club, as in my heart thats what I feel I am more a member of.

Still had a bl00dy great time though!

Scott from IMOC has worked really hard getting this show off the ground.
I had asked the SE MK1 area to look after this show, as they have a gazebo and flag etc, but this was not encompassed wholly.
Thanks to Jinxy for the initial club presence at the meeting, but there was little or no imput apart from that from the SE, except maybe the trophies (I don't know who did those)
It was a shame the MK1 presence was part of IMOC, but if it had not been for IMOC there wouldn't have been any stand or hog etc, so thanks IMOC

I was sorry i could not make it this time, but made this clear very early on.
AW11 Forever..!

Post by AW11 Forever..! »

Can we have the same pitch next year, absolutely superb area, tucked away in the corner with a stunning sea view.
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

Good to see you too Tim & sorry i didnt spend more time talking to you, i will remedy that next year mate :thumleft: , now thats what i call dedication, flying over from Ireland then hiring a car purely to attend JAE & to think most people who didnt come moaned about the distance , in fact Gordon & Allison travelled 800 miles return journey from Scotland to attend, MIke & Jo Sheavills again travelled from Durham as always :-k :-k .
Have to agree with the comments regarding the mk1 club stuff, it seems the hardcore mk1 club members were the only ones who bothered to turn up, virtually no commitee members turned up, Jo & garrick stated before hand that they were unable to make it due to other commitments & granted Stuart Kynoch has broken his ankle, although im sure i saw Vix & Phil there with Vix in a wheelchair with ....... yep a broken ankle :-k , this must go down as one of the most poorly attended mk1 club national rally's & i really hope its not the shape of things to come, if it wasnt for the IMOC & MR2OC clubs letting us onto the village we would have looked pretty silly & not the best advert to come & join the MK1 club ](*,) .
On a slightly different note those who did attend may want to put pen to paper & write something for the club mag, especially if its your first time at a mk1 club event, it doesnt have to be an essay & if you took some pics add those as well im sure Karl & lou would be well pleased.... .. lets at least keep one part of the mk1 club alive !!! rant over :mrgreen: Jinxy
Last edited by Tony jinxy froude on Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony jinxy froude

Hi Jo, i organised the trophy's, Stuart phoned Alan Cayzer last minite to say that he wasnt attending due to his injuries & could he organise the trophy's, unfortuately Alan was going away on holiday the next day so i sorted them with help with litterally days to spare, in all honesty, i dont think anyone from the SE area commiteee realised we were supposed to host the national rally, im not sure who even has the flags & gazeebo, the show was poorly attended mk1 wise & only the usual SE members turned up, besides i think one gazeebo from the mk1 club would have looked even worse to be honest, maybe something needs to be brought up at the AGM regarding further club events... or lack of, cheers, Jinxy
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

I enjoyed myself and would like to pass on my thanks again to the IMOC organisers, especially Scott who did a great job!

I was absolutely shattered on Saturday after <2 hours sleep and also playing (poorly) in the 5 a side football with the Sky Insurance team - we were awful :lol:

I was nearly asleep after the hog roast hence why I slipped out quietly! Apologies if I missed anyone/didn't hang around much.

It was good to see the usual faces and meet some new people.

I loved the location, with the sun shining it really was beautiful. Space seemed to be a big issue though. Our trader stand was tiny, all the clubs looked cramped and there seems to be a lot of clubs who paid for space they didn't get.

Hopefully these were all teething problems with the new venue which can be resolved though :thumleft:

Cheers

Ollie
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
Zirax

Post by Zirax »

Well I had a laugh. Good to meet everyone as I've only recently got my mk1 and subsequently found out about JAE. Your 1.5 did look very tasty Jinxy.

On the good news you'll have another mk1 club member here when I've filled in all the forms :)
Lou-Lou

Post by Lou-Lou »

Yeah space was a big issue.. we booked a 20 car stand, and tbh there wasn't room for 20 cars ..

Luckily for us we probably only had about 10 show up, but with camping as well there was very little space, we were so cramped I had to roll my car forward just to be able to open the doors to get stuff out!
Tony jinxy froude

Zirax wrote:Well I had a laugh. Good to meet everyone as I've only recently got my mk1 and subsequently found out about JAE. Your 1.5 did look very tasty Jinxy.

On the good news you'll have another mk1 club member here when I've filled in all the forms :)

Good to see you too mate :thumleft: , Steve had the grey 1.5 ,my mica blue t-bar with the Blingy blue engine was parked next to it & Pete Kyte's mica blue t-bar with the blingy blue engine was parked next to me, come along to as many shows as possible im sure we'll make you more than welcome :thumleft: , Jinxy
Kooga

Post by Kooga »

Looks like a riot...sorry guys, tried to get there, but only got home from honeymoon 9pm on the friday, and the new wife had arranged to get the relatives over to look at wedding pics and vids. Thought it best not to rock the boat so early on in a marriage!!
Still now I have time to make the repairs necessary to be able to exceed 50 miles an hour safely, be able to stop when I get there, and remove the sponge and towel from behind my seat.... 8)
AW11 Forever..!

Post by AW11 Forever..! »

MK1 Awards

Jinxy collects BEST TBAR award

Carl and Louise collect BEST COUPE award

Stuart Nolloth collects BEST MODDIFIED award

Max collects Literary award for contributions to the Club magazine

Special award given out by IMOC-UK in memory of Lee and Andrew. Award presented by Lee's parents
Last edited by AW11 Forever..! on Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve

Post by Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve »

Tony jinxy froude wrote:
Zirax wrote:Well I had a laugh. Good to meet everyone as I've only recently got my mk1 and subsequently found out about JAE. Your 1.5 did look very tasty Jinxy.

Good to see you too mate :thumleft: , Steve had the grey 1.5 ,my mica blue t-bar with the Blingy blue engine was parked next to it & Pete Kyte's mica blue t-bar with the blingy blue engine was parked next to me, come along to as many shows as possible im sure we'll make you more than welcome :thumleft: , Jinxy

I'm suprised that people didn't think that all the cars were yours Jinxy :lol:
You did more talking than everyone else put together :thumleft:
Great weekend and enjoyed all the entertainment.
Thanks to all that arranged it.

The down side is, i think i have been going since JAE 2002 and that's the worst Mk1 turnout i have ever seen :cry:
Last edited by Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve on Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monkeymax

Re: Don't forget Max...

Post by monkeymax »

It was a fantastic weekend - and just what I needed...! :)
Many thanks to everyone involved, and to everyone there. For me, JAE this year was more of a social thing. I was a bit lethargic this weekend (I've had a lot on recently, so just wanted to chill out) and so for the most part just stuck around and chatted to people. This was shown by the fact I've only taken a couple of dozen photos this year - as opposed to nearly 300 last year! (I'm glad to see that Michael's got some great shots!)

It was really great to catch up with everyone having not seen most people for a year (since JAE 2007). Plus I finally got to meet Alex (SuperRedMR2) after missing him last year... :thumleft:

Got my hands dirty working on John's (Vashy) rear brakes - which I actually enjoyed. Then again when I was heading home - in appalling weather - when I stopped off at some services to find an MX-5 that had been at JAE that had broken down... Spent an hour in the rain trying to help him get it started again and having a chat to him.

I had a brief walkaround on Saturday which was good - though I did look at many of the cars thinking "nice... if only..." :lol: (Obviously to replace my Peugeot, not the '2!). Then another walk around after the fireworks on Saturday evening, only to end up having a chat to the Irish Japanese Owners club who had already been enjoying their beers for a good many hours! :lol:

Spending a bit of time on the beach on Sunday was a great help to unwinding too - a very nice bonus for the new site. I do think that the new site is better than the one at Peterborough - even though it's twice the distance away... The atmostphere around the show this year was far far better than last year - in my opinion.

It was a bit wierd coming to a Jap show in an old heap of a Peugeot, but it says a lot about the club members that it really made no difference what so ever. Yes, the cars are an integral part to the club as they are our common interest... But this show demonstrated that it's the people that matter, not the cars. So - Neville, don't worry about the state of your car... ;)

Karl_T wrote:We also awarded Max Starr the Literary Trophy for the fantastic articles he has submitted to the magazine over the past year. Poor guy was so surprised that he was actually shaking!

Well done Max.

Yep - I'm still kinda in shock. I was expecting it to be awarded to Karl or Lou who have between them really turned the mag around over the last year... It is a beautiful trophy. Many thanks to the club! So... do I conveniently forget to bring it back next year? :lol:

Oh, I should point out - after the incident after being handed the trophy - it has now made it home safe and sound... no more 'near misses'... :lol:

It is a shame that there wasn't a proper Mk1 club presence this year. It would be great to see this sorted for next year. I really do think that any presence would've been better than no presence really. I would've done something, but didn't know that I was going to JAE until Thursday; by the time I contacted Jo it was really too late. Perhaps all the area organisers who are going should try to liase with whomever organises the IMOC side of it...?
Last edited by monkeymax on Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve

Post by Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve »

Tony jinxy froude wrote:

Midnight blue,Jinxy :roll:
monkeymax

Post by monkeymax »

Some of my photos:

Ollie's Mk1.5...

With Woodsport Wide-arch:

IMOC Tug of war team:

Karl and Lou with their trophy - and Marty:

Jinxy... being Jinxy:
(Yes, that is a Mk1 seat!)

Chris and Stuart... not doing anything...:

Did anyone get a photo of Chris (Oukie) with his stunning white line on his head thanks to the JAE Bandanna? :lol:
pkmr2

Post by pkmr2 »

Very unfair comments i feel Jo about the mk1 club [-X , Jinxy,Steve K and myself were all present from the south east reps we felt as soon as the event location was announced we had a total lack of support from the club! We had a good turnout of mk1's from the club but nothing like we have had in previous years! As usual IMOC welcomed us with open arms we did not deserve to fly our flag at this event!

Big thanks to Scott and Malcom, a fantastic weekend all round!
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

There are no such photos ?????? :twisted:

Mwwwhahahahahahahhaaaaarrrrrrrrr :mrgreen:

I had a great time , And neville did you not see my car lol they aint gotta be mint lol as long as it gets you there :oops:

Lauren ,We were well smashed on friday :lol: You and me were the last Imoc'ers up and then I went drinking with some guys from the oc and I was really really ill the next day :oops: I think I had about 3 hours kip that night hence why I was falling assleep in my chair at the hog roast :lol:

OH and alex(superedmr2)Im really sorry i did not know that you were in a 2 man tent with 3 men (ahem :oops: )And I was in a 5 man tent on my own, ah well at least you wern't cold :lol:

Finally had a really great time met loads of really great people from Imoc and mr2oc .

Chris .
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
vix

Post by vix »

I'm glad we made the decision to go, even if it was last minute. Steve at MR2 Only had a space for a Mk1 on his stand as one of the Challenge cars had been broken and asked if we could take our track car.

Otherwise we wouldn't have gone at all, as I can't camp at the mo and thought it was unfair making Phil drive all that way for a day!

Anyway, turns out it's a great location, and it was nice to see some of the regulars again.

I wasn't aware there was going to be a Mk1 Club presence at this show at all, all organisation seems to have been done by IMOC this year so I just assumed it was an IMOC event. Otherwise I'd have chucked the flag in the track car. We need to get something sorted next year with an events person again, not a dig at Jo at all, she's done a great job but did say at last year's AGM that she would not be able to put in that amount of work again this year. I know for a fact she hasn't got a chance to sit down this year with all her commitments.

Hopefully someone is willing to take over, or at least assist. I'd like to see Mk1 Club branding at next years JAE.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

oukie wrote:
Lauren ,We were well smashed on friday :lol: You and me were the last Imoc'ers up and then I went drinking with some guys from the oc and I was really really ill the next day :oops: I think I had about 3 hours kip that night hence why I was falling assleep in my chair at the hog roast :lol:
Chris .

Erm yes we were a bit worse for wear. I cannot believe that you carried on, I was still walking but was barely coherent. Jeez did i pay for that Saturday morning and then there was all teh fun of the its a knockout competition and I had stupidly volunteered whilst inebriated the previous night.. Still twas all top fun wasn't it? Nice to meet you at last too. :+:
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

Your not wrong Lauren I even had the shakes the next day :lol:

Malcom was trying to get me to do the car pull but at the time I was just trying to function as a human :oops:

My GF is gutted that she could't come to jae as I dont normally have a hangover (im blameing it on the fact that I forgot my pillows)LOL .
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”