how to keep red paint looking good

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

coley

how to keep red paint looking good

Post by coley »

Just finished t cutting my bodywork was hard work but looks lovelly. I finished off by putting a good coat of Meguires Tech Wax, but was wondering if anybody knows of a polish that keeps U.V. fading to a minimum
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Re: how to keep red paint looking good

Post by oukie »

If you find one do tell :lol:
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
vashy

Post by vashy »

see whos is the shiniest at JAE and ask them (:
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

respray it blue :mrgreen: ..... i'll get me coat :mrgreen: , Jinxy
coverco

Post by coverco »

I find keeping the car in a garage works well :thumleft:
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

clay barring it maybe? or just spray it another colour! My red one pinked like hell! Put me off red, until i saw a Civic Type R this morning - made me reach for the glove box as it was gleaming!
coley

Post by coley »

Cheers guys :D I guess its good ol elbow grease then :roll:
coley

Post by coley »

vashy wrote:see whos is the shiniest at JAE and ask them (:

Sorry if this is a thick question, but what were and when is JAE, as I would,nt mind attending
System-G

Post by System-G »

With my old red 1a, I stayed well away from T-Cut. It was utter rubbish. My car was so faded when I picked it up, it was almost white in places.

I used Autoglym Paint Renovator, then Autoglym super resin polish (sometimes needed two or three coats (buffing inbetween each) and finished with Autoglym Ultra Gloss Shine - it would last about 3 months left outside. I'd only use the Paint Renovator twice a year, the rest (for one-off shows etc...) was just Super Resin Polish & Ultra Gloss Shine :thumleft:
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

coley wrote:
Sorry if this is a thick question, but what were and when is JAE, as I would,nt mind attending

JAE is the biggest Japanese car show of the year and usually gets the biggest turn out of Mk1s out of all the UK shows. It is this weekend at Mersea Island near Colchester. See event section for details.
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

To keep my red paint looking good ive decided to go for a full respray.
j0nathan

Post by j0nathan »

Simoniz do one but I have zero experience of anything like this. A quick search brought this up:
http://www.amazon.com/Simoniz-17110-Sel ... B000EDRT2A

...the yachting fraternity also have UV protective polishes but weather (sorry, intentional pun) they can be used on automatove paints I have no idea. You'll have to Google it.
Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve

Post by Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve »

Ollie @ Skyinsurance wrote:
coley wrote:

JAE is the biggest Japanese car show of the year and usually gets the biggest turn out of Mk1s out of all the UK shows. It is this weekend at Mersea Island near Colchester. See event section for details.

I have finally started looking around, been on the JAE website and they say there are going to be more clubs and members than 2007, that will be amazing, if it's the truth :D
I expected this to be a little bit down from previous years, due to it's location.
Polypedates

Post by Polypedates »

Basically, you need to keep it waxed.

Clay bar provides excellent paint cleansing prior to polishing.
Polishing repairs and enhances the paint surface (i.e. brings back the red)
Wax provides the surface seal and final shine so this is the vital element if you want to keep it red.

I favour One Grand Blitz Wax from www.frost.co.uk but there are others. Autoglym have just released a new wax which looks good but it is pricey.

Do not get distracted by polishes etc. that claim to protect, you need a dedicated good quality wax (personally I find old fashioned 'solid' waxes offer longer lasting protection than modern liquid formulations).

As you have just polished it you should try and wax it every time you wash it for a while to build up the protection and then maintain it. Obviously how often this is required depends on how often the car is used /where it is kept etc.

Oh and wash it often of course as dirt and stuff eats into the finish over time. Remove bird crap ASAP as it is a paint eater :evil:

Mine was pink when I first saw it but after it was mopped it came up lovely and red. Since then I have done the above, washing it weekly and waxing it as often as I can. Every spring I clay it and re-polish just to keep it as good as possible and this has kept it from fading for the past five years.

And this a car that sits outside and is used daily - until next week anyway :wink:

HTH - Good luck.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”