[Mk2] [Turbo] New Berk flexi downpipe fitted - pics and fitting guide included..

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mr2nut123

[Mk2] [Turbo] New Berk flexi downpipe fitted - pics and fitting guide included..

Post by mr2nut123 »

Ey up. Just got one of these new Berk flexi styleeee downpipes from GTSChris and thought i'd post up some pics to help people out if they decide to replace their knackered downpipe etc.

First of all, here it is..

First of all, take out the o2 sensor..

Now comes off the heatshield..

Now take off these bolts from the 'cracked' downpipe..

Then the oil filter and the bolts visable at the top of the downpipe and there's 2 underneath..

Now with the downpipe clear..

The new downpipe will now slide on from underneath the car. You also now need to put the main bolts back into the downpipe at the top and bottom (should be 7 but the last one is a b1tch so I just did 6)..

The downpipe now lines up with the exhaust flexi spot on..

Now for the dodgy part. I'm not sure if it was just mine or not, but the support bracket is mis-manufactured. It didn't line up AT ALL, so I had to litterally file down the rounded part and the hole on the left hand side (as your facing the back of the car from underneath) and I even had to use a thinner bolt as I was getting a bit impatient filing it down lol. This is where it goes by the way, thought i'd post a clear picture incase people can't figure it out..

It took about 5 hours actual work, it's not as easy as you would think. The hardest part is getting the rusty bolts off with the limited space you have. I'd recommend copper greasing all the bolts once off so if you need to do it again everything losens up easily.

Also, if anyone else has fitted this downpipe, did you have to leave the small metal part of the firewall off with the 3 screws in it towards the bottom of the car? It simply wouldn't fit back on as the flexi sticks quite far.[/img]
JeffD

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] New Berk flexi downpipe fitted - pics and fitting guide included..

Post by JeffD »

Might be worth speaking to Luize about this as I think she experiencd a fitting problem too.

Just wondering about the last puc that shows the blanking bolt - is that not for your post cat temp sensor? Just wondering whether you put it back or not and reasoning behind whether you did/didnt?
platmatt8

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] New Berk flexi downpipe fitted - pics and fitting guide included..

Post by platmatt8 »

The dp thred is a different size to the stock sensor red on here you car just unplug it.
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

platmatt8 wrote:The dp thred is a different size to the stock sensor red on here you car just unplug it.

This guys spot on Jeff. I thought the same but apparently it's a cat sensor for the old cat incase it collapses or something to send a signal to the dash so as there's now nothing to collapse it's not needing. I followed the wire back up and simply unplugged it and took the plastic wire holder off the pipe near the middle of the engine.
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

the flexi is a good idea, but its a bit crap if you have to leave heatshields off :? , surely a better/more compact flexi should have been used when fabricating
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

Dale_V wrote:the flexi is a good idea, but its a bit crap if you have to leave heatshields off :? , surely a better/more compact flexi should have been used when fabricating

Well yea your right but id rather have it wider and sturdy as theres a lot of heat going through there. I'm sure the firewall material will be fine
Benmoore999

Post by Benmoore999 »

You could always reaplce the heatshshield with some self adhesive thermotec mat on the bulkhead ?
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

thought the same but apparently it's a cat sensor for the old cat incase it collapses or something to send a signal to the dash so as there's now nothing to collapse it's not needing
Its an exhaust gas temperature sensor:

89425-17080 SENSOR, EXHAUST GAS TEMPERATURE 01.11.1993-01.12.1997 SW20..GT

http://www.ayrpark.plus.com/epc/toyota/ ... _1993.html

Just guessing here but cats dont work until they are up to temp so I imagine its something to do wioth comparing the temp of the exhaust pre and post cat - cant find any info on it though.
chrisbr68

Post by chrisbr68 »

Mine is here and I am planning on doing it this weekend. Thanks for the writeup very useful
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

chrisbr68 wrote:Mine is here and I am planning on doing it this weekend. Thanks for the writeup very useful

No probs. I've got a lot of info from the forum in the past, thought id give summat back cos I know how much of a b1tch of a job it is and this should hopefully bring down the hours a bit for people.

By the way, I did manage to re-fit the metal heatshields in the end. I took the biggest, dirtyest hammer I could find and flattened all the bumps on it then widened the bolt holes to fit it back on. Looks pants but it's functionality over form, plus you can only really see it from the bottom of the car :wink:
chrisbr68

Post by chrisbr68 »

Already have a decat downpipe on my car so hopefully should be a straight swap - the old one now has cracked and has a hole in it :evil:
Rory

Post by Rory »

chrisbr68 wrote:Already have a decat downpipe on my car so hopefully should be a straight swap - the old one now has cracked and has a hole in it :evil:

Chris didnt you buy my old turbo/rogue downpipe? I though Rogue claimed there downpipes didnt crack? :(
My MR2 for sale! Check out the for sale section
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

chrisbr68 wrote:Already have a decat downpipe on my car so hopefully should be a straight swap - the old one now has cracked and has a hole in it :evil:

Sounds great, but it's lumpy and the torque loss is quite bad isn't it, the boost seems to be more either on or off :evil:
chrisbr68

Post by chrisbr68 »

Rory wrote:

Chris didnt you buy my old turbo/rogue downpipe? I though Rogue claimed there downpipes didnt crack? :(

Rory! Didnt know you were still on here. Yes thats the kiddy - I didnt know it was a Rogue one! Hmm, do you have the receipt for it as it could be worth a call... :thumleft: Esp since I just blew £130 on this new one ](*,)
Rory

Post by Rory »

Yeah im still around. Im not sure if ive got the receipt but the downpipe is clearly branded Rogue. I guess its a couple years old atleast. They must all go sooner or later no matter who makes them.
My MR2 for sale! Check out the for sale section
Nails

Post by Nails »

I changed my cat for a decat pipe today, started at 10.30am, washed the car, used the silcone trick to stop the tbar from leaking, changed my front brake pads, painted my calipers front and rear, cleaned my white wheels up which were seriuosly pitted with brake dust off the previous owner(fairy power wash or something worked when nothing else would, including wheel acids etc), and fitted the decat, didnt finish till 9.30pm.
worst bit of the job was the studs where coming out with the bolts and the bottom one was stuck against the side of the oil filter housing so that had to come off aswell, aswell as a million other parts.
got there in the end but need to actually run the engine tomorrow to check for leaks etc anyway since so much was took off, hopefully it'll work lol.
thanks for the hot to guide but I think the pics make it looks a lot easier than it is lol.
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

Nails wrote:I changed my cat for a decat pipe today, started at 10.30am, washed the car, used the silcone trick to stop the tbar from leaking, changed my front brake pads, painted my calipers front and rear, cleaned my white wheels up which were seriuosly pitted with brake dust off the previous owner(fairy power wash or something worked when nothing else would, including wheel acids etc), and fitted the decat, didnt finish till 9.30pm.
worst bit of the job was the studs where coming out with the bolts and the bottom one was stuck against the side of the oil filter housing so that had to come off aswell, aswell as a million other parts.
got there in the end but need to actually run the engine tomorrow to check for leaks etc anyway since so much was took off, hopefully it'll work lol.
thanks for the hot to guide but I think the pics make it looks a lot easier than it is lol.

lol I know those pics make it look easy but when I was doing it I almost gave up a few times. That xxxxxx bolt by the side of the oil filter, I actually just put 6 bolts back on and left that off as it was impossible to get back on without some serious extra work. Works a treat, 1 out of 7 bolts missing isn't going to make any difference.
Benmoore999

Post by Benmoore999 »

to get to that bolt I bought a set of spanners.

http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/sp-1 ... x-15mm.asp

HTH
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Few tips on here if its any help :-)

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... highlight=
Nails

Post by Nails »

how I said it was a horrible job on sat night, how wrong was I, I had to move the oil cooler as the stud was coming out with the nut and fouling against the cooler, a 'friend' hadnt tightened it down properly so when I started it up yesterday it spat at least a litre of oil out on the drive in seconds, so it all had to come apart again so I could find the cause.
Once it was back together properly I took it out htough and what a difference, wow it feels like what a tubby should now imo

Return to “Modifications”