[Mk2] [Turbo] can a st205 CC radiator be used on the mr2?? instead of the cinq?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jimGTS

[Mk2] [Turbo] can a st205 CC radiator be used on the mr2?? instead of the cinq?

Post by jimGTS »

:eye:
raptor95GTS

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] can a st205 CC radiator be used on the mr2?? instead of the cinq?

Post by raptor95GTS »

i'm sure someone managed it but a search would yield the result
bobhatton

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] can a st205 CC radiator be used on the mr2?? instead of the cinq?

Post by bobhatton »

Yes, my son fitted one to his car.

Bob
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

You can, but I'm pretty sure you have to lose the air con radiator.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

so it would fit behind the mr2 rad? not infront like the fiat one? (if no a/c rad)

i dont mind losing the a/c rad as my a/c compressor in the bay has been removed anyway.

am i right in thinking the CC take like 10ltrs?

thanks for info peeps....

thinking of going st205 CC with my TD06...
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

jimGTS wrote:so it would fit behind the mr2 rad? not infront like the fiat one? (if no a/c rad)

i dont mind losing the a/c rad as my a/c compressor in the bay has been removed anyway.

am i right in thinking the CC take like 10ltrs?

thanks for info peeps....

thinking of going st205 CC with my TD06...

You remove the A/C rad and replace it with the ST205 CC rad. So it fits in front of the MR2 rad. You will have to make mountings for it but that is not too hard.

Bob
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Leakie Tbar

Post by Leakie Tbar »

I fitted one to my last install went in no probs without A/C
oBladeo

Post by oBladeo »

I've got one of theses in my desk at work ready to fit :D

Removing the A/C at the same time
Henry Ford "Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black"

Modifying a 1 liter is like giving my granny a E. It’s just wrong!!
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

ok, bit confused, is the mr2 a/c rad at the front or rear? if im replacing the st205 cc rad at the front, i asumed the rad at the front was for the car, not the a/c?

:oops:
oBladeo

Post by oBladeo »

The ac rad is in front of the engine cooling rad. The AC rad is silver looking and the engine cooling is black
Henry Ford "Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black"

Modifying a 1 liter is like giving my granny a E. It’s just wrong!!
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

ok, so the rad thats actually visable on the front of the car is the ac rad?? i thought that was the normal rad, lol.
(unless he ac rad is high up?)
royashmr2

Post by royashmr2 »

The one you can see from the front is the ac rad. It sits in front of the water rad
sw20dan

Post by sw20dan »

It is do-able, i fitted a 205 rad infront of the coolant rad. I had to loose the a/c rad and because of the inlet and outlet pipes of the rad had to remove the fogs (well only had to remove the n/s one, but that might look a little odd on its own)

So yes it can be done. The results were very impressive, i'd go with the 205 rad every time

Just a few notes - make sure when you fit the pump to have it PULL water OUT of the c/c core and not pump water into it. (infact don't even try it the other way round!)

The 205 pump can be bolted straight on to the gearbox with no mods

Run the pump flat out 12v whenever the engine is running ( i used a relay feeding off of the engine bay fan - this was powered up only when the ignition was

You can run the pipes under the undertrays without any cutting at all

Don't mess about bodging the throttle cable, the proper bracket costs penuts from MR T (same goes for the t/b 'sock')

Use reflective foil on the underside of the core

this is what i ended up with

Feel free to ask any questions as i no doubt stumbled across the same problems too :lol: its worth it though

good luck
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

got any pics of your cc build?
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

ok thats cool, i understand now bout the a/c, lol.

do i HAVE ditch the fogs??? id imagine no fogs surely means failed mot??

got a question, how does the CC mount to the head/camcover??? what supports it and how is it attached?

cheers
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

jimGTS wrote:
do i HAVE ditch the fogs??? id imagine no fogs surely means failed mot??

Nope. Front fogs aren't needed for the MOT.

jimGTS wrote:
got a question, how does the CC mount to the head/camcover??? what supports it and how is it attached?

There are three mounting supports on the CC top box, although only one can be used which is the one nearest to the TB. The two on the opposite side would secure into a bracket off of the cylinder head on the GT4. However you can't use this bracket on the MR2 due to the water elbow underneath (or something along those lines!!).

Other than that it's the throttle body sock and the turbo outlet pipe which "hold" the CC top box in position.

hth
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

really, so all that weight is held at the TB.. :shock:

ok, so if i wanted to keep my fogs, is that going to be a bit hard? unless i went for the fiat rad???

also, the pump, i heard it can be mounted to the gearbox with the supplied bracket?? (mr2 has empty bolt holes for this) that correct? as i just got information from a seller that said his mechanic says on the gt4 its connected to the chassis.....
?
royashmr2

Post by royashmr2 »

Have a look at the PWR rad. Its a few more pounds. But you should be able to fit it with the fogs. And it looks quite cool. See some of my pics
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

i dont want to spend a great deal, if i cant get the st205 rad, id go for a fiat one...
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

I'm busy trying to find a rad that'll fit in front of the existing stuff that has a higher capacity than the fiat one. Not having much luck so far though... Plus I quite like my fog lights!

Return to “Modifications”