[Mk2] [Turbo] gotta battery drain, need help

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

hamstermr2

[Mk2] [Turbo] gotta battery drain, need help

Post by hamstermr2 »

right, in the last two weeks my tubby has developed a battery drain, altenator is charging the battery up fine, and i havent played with anything electrical for a while, the positive battery clamp was a bit bu88ered so i've replaced it with a nice new brass one, but over night the battery just loses power, not completely just enough to not start the car, and if left for a few days it wont even light up the dash, anyone know any handy hints to try and find the drain, any help much appriciated, oh i also took the batteryoff yesterday and charged it fully, and leftit off the car overnight, and its still reading 12v on my tester.
RyanRs

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] gotta battery drain, need help

Post by RyanRs »

what kind of battery tester was it? i think it may be best to get it tested properly. im pretty sure that when a battery is on its way out, it will still supply the same voltage, but the cranking amps will drop. its the amps that make things come alive!!

also check that the alternator is charging at 14v + as if this is lower then that, it will not be charging the battery properly meaning each time you use the car, it will have to resort to the battery's power more and more as the alternator hasn't got the guts to run the car and charge at the same time.

maybe if you cannot find any fault this way, perhaps disconnect the battery terminals for a couple of days and re-connect them... see if the battery has still drained. if it has then its fuberd. if not then you must have a power drain.
mishadbull

Post by mishadbull »

If you have a good quality multimeter then you can measure the amp drain with the car off. could be a good starting point.

Mike
Leakie Tbar

Post by Leakie Tbar »

mishadbull wrote:If you have a good quality multimeter then you can measure the amp drain with the car off. could be a good starting point.

Mike

+1

Return to “Mechanical”