[Mk2] [Turbo] !!! REV2 Turbo Mappable ECU !!!

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Race Idiot

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] !!! REV2 Turbo Mappable ECU !!!

Post by Race Idiot »

One thing, is is possible to say use this with a different afm as I was reading on the us boards that the standard one isnt that great and is only realy good upto about 240whp. So would it be possible to change to say a Z32 afm instead with greater capability?
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

Gersen wrote:
That's 321 miles to 43.6 litres or 32mpg for those Rev2 owners that are wondering. No really.....no typo....that's 321 miles and it hadn't hit reserve yet! ;)

Okay - now I definitely want one! :wink: Nice work!
JasonB

Post by JasonB »

Jeremy,
Re: your reply about in car logging via a USB device.
Would it be possible to utilise the scangauge in some way. I've heard good things about them via the Lexus owners forum and they certainly allow logging of a fair few parameters.

Not sure if there is a way of connecting the MR2 up to the OBD2 connector they have though.

JB
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

What speed were you driving at to get that kind of economy?

i have had figures up that high once when i drove up north at a steady 60 all the way.
thepest

Post by thepest »

I would definetly like one please! Sounds great .If I could get rid of the extra fuel dump the ECu does above 12PSI that alone would makeit worthwhile
jtjerry

Post by jtjerry »

ups
after year...
You are still waiting as juden for messayah :pray:
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

Any final prices and 'release dates' for this bit of kit then? I'm dying to prove my local dyno guy wrong and show him this :lol:
platmatt8

Post by platmatt8 »

i can`t wait for a release date myself :pray:
Nails

Post by Nails »

I want one too!
costelg

RE: usb to rs232 convertors.

Post by costelg »

Just my 2 cent,
usb to rs232 convertors are a disaster, fried my clifford with one while using the clifford software on my (rs232 less laptop).
how mwny laptops have rs232 com ports as standard now, cheaper to make a laptop with only one port usb!!!!
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

Any further testing on this? It must be release date soon!! :pray:
JMR_AW11

Post by JMR_AW11 »

mr2nut123 wrote:Any further testing on this? It must be release date soon!! :pray:

I'd like to see it tested again on a rolling road and this time the goal would be for me to be less involved.

I'd still want to be there but I'd want to see someone install and run the SW on their own PC and do all the file managing.

Last time I had to set up part of the system because my SW wouldn't run on a laptop using a USB to serial adaptor so we ended up using my laptop.

TBH I'm quite content with the results so far. Tom has done thousands of miles on his ECU (including a trackday) and provided lots of useful test results including economy improvements etc.
:thumleft:

Please note that I've been advised that I'm not allowed to discuss timescales or prices on here because I'm not an affiliated trader yet. So I can't answer a lot of the recent posts.
solmansoft

Post by solmansoft »

Happy to help out, have a laptop and Vista with USB only, plus a rev 2 with Apexi Filter, CT20b turbo, decat pipe and hopefully an aftermarket exhaust system soon.
Regards

Solmansoft
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

JMR_AW11 wrote:
mr2nut123 wrote:Any further testing on this? It must be release date soon!! :pray:

I'd like to see it tested again on a rolling road and this time the goal would be for me to be less involved.

I'd still want to be there but I'd want to see someone install and run the SW on their own PC and do all the file managing.

Last time I had to set up part of the system because my SW wouldn't run on a laptop using a USB to serial adaptor so we ended up using my laptop.

YHPM :thumleft:
Gersen

Post by Gersen »

Tiny wrote:What speed were you driving at to get that kind of economy?

i have had figures up that high once when i drove up north at a steady 60 all the way.

80-90mph cruise so hardly the 56mph optimum ;)
Why thank you - I grew it myself you know
Gersen

Post by Gersen »

JMR_AW11 wrote:

In theory there's nothing to stop another mapping session although the car is a pretty sweet balance as it is. I doubt I'll get round to changing the fuel pump this year just to get more power as it's a PITA of a job.

Wouldn't mind mapping her again for 95 octane unleaded to have a dual map solution - what do you think Jeremy?

In theory it should just be straight in their with my lappy and map.

Home in time for tea and medals

:mrgreen:
Why thank you - I grew it myself you know
JMR_AW11

Post by JMR_AW11 »

Gersen wrote:
JMR_AW11 wrote:

In theory there's nothing to stop another mapping session although the car is a pretty sweet balance as it is. I doubt I'll get round to changing the fuel pump this year just to get more power as it's a PITA of a job.

Wouldn't mind mapping her again for 95 octane unleaded to have a dual map solution - what do you think Jeremy?
In theory it should just be straight in their with my lappy and map.

Home in time for tea and medals

:mrgreen:

Hi Tom!

That would be good :thumleft:

Also I still have this little LCD dash monitor to try out. 100mmx50mmx24mm.

It has a few more toys on it now :)

eg it has a tricolour LED for closed loop. It is OFF for open loop and if the ECU goes into closed loop it winks between red and yellow in sympathy with the ECU reacting Rich/Weak according to the o2 sensor.

So when cruising you can see if the car is running open or closed loop.

Also LEDs for TVIS and TVSV and also a LED to tell you if it swaps over to the safe maps (eg after an ECU reset)

Also a shiny blue LED for knock activity coupled with a readout of knock retard correction in 0.1 degree steps on the LCD.

The LCD also shows fuel injector duty and also it indicates rpm and which load site it is on on the main maps. Also ignition timing to 0.1degree.

I can also add economy in mpg (not done this bit yet)

All the above is on a single menu screen and I thought the above was the most useful combo. If you ever got knock whilst driving you could see the rpm and load site where it is happening and how much knock you were getting.

There's other menus for stuff like the coolant and air temp and TPS and AFM.

I can add lots more features/menus and it can be reflashed for new firmware updates with a laptop via RS-232.

eg if you ever added a wideband it could be connected to one of the ECU spare ADC ports and the LCD could also show AFR.

Glad it's all running well and maybe we should get Ryan to look at the safe maps to see if they can be set differently. If the ECU ever swaps over to the safe maps you will not be benefitting from Ryans mapping until it swaps back to the normal maps. So you will lose economy and performance etc during this period.

I'd really like to see the LCD running on a real car as I'm worried it may have a few problems with readability if things chage rapidly, eg rpm or ignition timing. So I may need to slow it down. It can read much more ECU data than it can refresh/display so I have to get the balance right.

It connects to the ECU in place of the laptop using the same RS-232 lead.
darryl_p

Post by darryl_p »

bump, time for an update ?
platmatt8

Post by platmatt8 »

Has this thread died?
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

platmatt8 wrote:Has this thread died?

Hope not, I still want one of these ECUs.

Return to “Modifications”