[Mk2] [Turbo] loss of power, blueish smoke and slow boost, am i screwed?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

stevegts

[Mk2] [Turbo] loss of power, blueish smoke and slow boost, am i screwed?

Post by stevegts »

so guys had the car a week and a half its a 94 rev 3 gts turbo, it was fine for the first week but now its lost a lot of power and it was only making 3/4 of the stock boost, i fitted a blitz dump valve today and its now reaching almost full boost but not till 5k revs, still way down on power though, im getting lots of blueish smoke when i rev it, the car is running stock boost, with an induction kit, new mongoose exhaust, turbo timer, and new dump valve, i just changed the oil and checked the plugs which are fine.

the smoke means its running very rich i presume but other than a leak in one of the pipes for the turbo or the turbo itself being nackered what else could it be.

this could be a dumb question but is it possible that the ecu is protecting the engine by lowering the boost and over fuelling ?
LuizeGT

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] loss of power, blueish smoke and slow boost, am i screwed?

Post by LuizeGT »

blue smoke is oil burning. grey smoke is over fueling and white smoke is coolent burning.

there is a safe mode but never heard of it making it smoke and you dont get full boost. check your diagnostics for error codes by bridging terminals E1 and TE1. then look up the code

http://www.btinternet.com/~netsurf/mr2t ... _ECU_Codes
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

like luize said, blue = oil.

remove one of you IC pipes and see how much oil is in there. if it is wet with oil (tacky is normal) then there is a leak.

this could mean either 1.blown turbo oil seal , or 2.blowby (rings/ringlands)

if there is wet oil in the ic pipes, then get a leakdown test done.
stevegts

Post by stevegts »

ya checked it this morning, engines covered in oil from my new bov, so its definately leaking oil, whats a leakdown test?
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

leak down test is....

a tool that blows compressed air into the combustion chambers via the spark plug hole, then allows you to get a reading (via a gauge) of the compression and allows you to hear where the possible cause of leak is occurring.

basically connects to the spark plug port, and to a compressor. if the rings / ringlands are gone you will hear air from the dipstick / oil filler. if its valves you will hear it from the intake or exhaust (depending on which valves are gone) .if its Head gasket or cracked head, you will hear it in coolant.

for now, disconnect your PCV hose from the air filter (pipe that runs from the catch can to the air filter) and put the hose into a coke bottle and secure it in place. use a wheel nut with a jubilee clip to plug the hole in the air filter.

If it is Blowby thats causing the problem (rings etc) then this will prevent oil getting into the intake system as it will collect in the coke bottle. Oil in the intake lowers the octane of fuel and greatly increases the chance of detonation.

unfortunatly... rings / ringlands = bottom end rebuild :(

try to use the car as little as possible to prevent further damage.
Chr15py
IMOC Organiser

Post by Chr15py »

oil from dv is bad as ryan said. A little may be not too bad but if it has covered you engine as you put it sounds like piston ringlands have gone. Happened to me recently. Do a compression test asap. Cylinder 3 gave in mine. Hope it isn't that
Chris
Mr Rapey Banana WILL get you...oh yes! :)
stevegts

Post by stevegts »

iv stopped driving the car, i just presumed that a seal was gone in the turbo or something, that compression test makes sense, i have an apexi induction kit, which pipe goes to the catch can?
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

from the main induction pipe that goes from the air filter to the turbo, there is a pipe about 11-12" in length, 3/4" in diameter (iirc) that leads to a small black box thats positioned on the bottom passenger side corner of the cam cover. this is the charcoal canister.
steve b

Post by steve b »

Your in Ireland (the South) I presume this means you don't have a lot of access to super unleaded / optimax/ tesco 99ron so have run on 95 ron?

My moneys on collapsed ringland and a new engine being the order of the day.
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
stevegts

Post by stevegts »

thanks for the replys, i ran that pipe into a bottle and ran the engine, bit of oil lining the pipe but none came out, however i did get a lot of exhaust smoke which is very worrying, i have emailed 3s for a price on an off the shelf rebuilt forged short block, bit worried about the smoke from the head tho as this is obviously valve damage i think.
stevegts

Post by stevegts »

meant to say im running 95 ron as all the optimax seems to have dissapeared, heard it was acceptible on a rev 3?
dawolf

Post by dawolf »

Well, I always use at least 97RON although I believe that rev 3's should be okay with 95RON as long as you don't go booting it too much.
steve b

Post by steve b »

I asked the question if anybody had tested 95 on a rev3 (put some in and had anyone listen with det cans) and no one had, although some said they noticed the car pulling timing so best avoided.

Rev1 & 2's are undrivable on 95ron, at least my rev2 was, straight to safe mode.
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .

Return to “Mechanical”