electric aerial and fog lights

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Christophert21

electric aerial and fog lights

Post by Christophert21 »

first post here so i'm a newbie

bought a 92 gts turbo there last week

one problem i have is that i can't get the electric aerial to go down
is there a button? or possibly a fuse that may have blown? the car has an aftermarket pioneer cd player - would this b a source of the problem?

also i cannont get either the front or rear fog(s) to work

i can see the switch but whichever way i have it, nothing happens
Vindezal

Re: electric aerial and fog lights

Post by Vindezal »

1) Imports arent built with fog lights. So an aftermarket one is either bolted on and re-wired through the car to a switch where all the other switches are next to your knee. Look at the connections at the back of the car see if its un pluged. I unplugged mine, horrible looking thing only for MOT time :mrgreen:

2) I had the same Aerial problem, aerial goes up and stays up with my alpine H/U. Its because the Toyota aerial has 2 sensors on the PCB, it needs 1 to know it to go up and 1 to make it go down, unfortunately not all H/U's come with this on the back so just 1 output. Solution was to join 2 wires at the back of the loom of the radio, and when turning off, the aerial will go down, I cant tell u what colours :oops: even toyota was stumped at this untill they rang an mobile car electrician.
Christophert21

Post by Christophert21 »

thanks

the aerial has been up since day one! but i'll get a spark to look at wiring at the headunit

the rear foglight has definitely been wired aftermarket as i can see and trace the wires (its rough!), but the front lights look standard fit?
Vindezal

Post by Vindezal »

front fogs are standard fit except the 3fse engine UK spec rev1 which didnt come with any :mrgreen:
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

Christophert21 wrote:the aerial has been up since day one!

Even with the head-unit and/or ignition off..? If so, I suspect the mast is either jammed or been disconnected. Peel back the carpet trim in the boot and see if any wires are dangling.

If the problem is the aerial is always up when the head-unit is on (annoying if like me you only listen to CDs) then you'll want to consider some basic wiring and soldering. Intercept the aerial feed from the car's loom to the head-unit and insert a toggle switch or something. This allows me to control the aerial at the flick of a switch -- literally.

http://www.sopertek.co.uk/mr2/mods/elec ... hpanel.jpg

Jonts.
Phil Dawson

Post by Phil Dawson »

I had the same problem and the solution was to plug in the Stock Amp, the ariel runs through this and on my car it has to be plugged in for it to go down.

Not really of any consequence now cos some xxxx has snapped it off.

Return to “Electrical”