TIVS

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

phil mk1

TIVS

Post by phil mk1 »

Hi every one first time i have posted on this forum. my question is how much kick should you get when the tivs kicks in my 1988 white tbar goes great but when i get to 4000-5000 rpm no noticable kick .i had a pug 309gti with an mi16 engine before the mr2 and at 4000 rpm it used to put you back in your seat. this is my first mr2 so dont know what to expect .cheers phil.
un1eash

Re: TIVS

Post by un1eash »

It should be kicking in at around 4800rpm on a mk1b. You should feel it and notice a change in the engine and exhaust tone, it should then rev to 7k quite quickly.

The mk1 loves to be reved high, our C2 VTS has a 7.2k redline but hates to go there.
phil mk1

Post by phil mk1 »

Hi well i dont get that any thoughts on what could be up with it ?
phil mk1

Post by phil mk1 »

I have got good vacum at the actuator do they seize up is there any mantainance that can be done with out removing the manifold or is that the only way?
mister2mk1

Post by mister2mk1 »

great thread - would love to read some opinions on this...
WeirdNeville

Post by WeirdNeville »

After driving a Turbo 200SX (is there any other kind?) for two years, I wouldn't describe the TVIS change over as a "Kick" :lol:

It's more akin to the VTEC cam change. I notice a very slight "rock" through the car as the TVIS opens up and the engine gets used to it's higher airflow, and then as said above it's mainly the change in engine note and a more heady rush towards 7Krpm. It certainly won't pin you back in your seat (and neither does VTEC as the fanboys will have you believe) but you should notice the engine feeling free-er revving and much more sporty and rorty and fun. I would imagine that with TVIS not actuating properly the engine would begin to feel strangled as you approach 7Krm as airflow is hampered and that this would be particularly noticeable in 2nd gear. A fully-functional 4AGE feels particularly spritely in this region.
Last edited by WeirdNeville on Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WeirdNeville

Post by WeirdNeville »

Error!
BIGBOBO

Post by BIGBOBO »

WeirdNeville wrote:After driving a Turbo 200SX (is there any other kind?)

The americans had a 2.4 NA engine I think
WeirdNeville

Post by WeirdNeville »

BIGBOBO wrote:
WeirdNeville wrote:After driving a Turbo 200SX (is there any other kind?)

The americans had a 2.4 NA engine I think

Oh yeah, there are plenty of other kinds, but not any worth having (IMO!). The Japanese had a 2.0 Non turbo but it was called the Silvia.
coverco

Post by coverco »

I think I have worked out your problem you have the old TIVS system whereas the newer TVIS system is much better :lol:

Only kidding, you can feel the TVIS actuate but it does not throw you back in the seat, the engine note changes (especially if you have a K&N fitted) and the car feels more spirited. IMO the 4AGE is quite sluggish untill you get to 5000rpm.
russthedude

Post by russthedude »

coverco wrote:I think I have worked out your problem you have the old TIVS system whereas the newer TVIS system is much better :lol:

Only kidding, you can feel the TVIS actuate but it does not throw you back in the seat, the engine note changes (especially if you have a K&N fitted) and the car feels more spirited. IMO the 4AGE is quite sluggish untill you get to 5000rpm.

yup, i recently slapped a K&N on mine and now you can hear when the tvis wakes up, but the small bump you feel hasn't changed. i find sitting at 4500rpm in third gear is good if you're just waiting for the right time to plant it to get past someone, and then let it go... vrooooom
phil mk1

Post by phil mk1 »

thanks chaps will take it through 5000rpm on the way to work in the morning the roads aer clear at 6 oclock O:) will let you know if i notice any thing :thumleft:
JMR_AW11

Post by JMR_AW11 »

Just to add a bit more info...

The ECU adds three degrees of ignition advance a split second after sending the signal to the TVIS valve at the opening point.

opens 4350rpm on mk1a and closes at 3950rpm.
opens 4650rpm on mk1b and closes at 4250rpm.

IMO this huge dollop of timing was a marketing ploy to add a tiny kick to the TVIS and give it more appeal.

Otherwise I reckon the TVIS wouldn't really have much kick. It's supposed to swap over at the smoothest point.

The car would probably drive better if the extra timing was brought in more progressively from lower revs.
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

i had a unichip fitted to one of my cars and it was set to smooth this out. it did seem to make for a better power delivery but i just was used to the tvis and took it off. it just seemed more fun that way.
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

I never get tired of reading your posts Jeremy, i learn something new everytime i read one :thumleft: keep em comming mate :clap: , Jinxy
phil mk1

Post by phil mk1 »

well chaps thrashed it to work this morning could hear a slight difference at 5000 rpm but what it did tell me was the exhaust is a bit rattely .any way took a long lunch ripped off the inlet manifold the butterflies were a bit stiff so freed them up put it all back together and took it for a spin yahoo :twisted: what a difference now i know what every one goes on about what a great drive so much fun \:D/.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

WeirdNeville wrote:After driving a Turbo 200SX (is there any other kind?) for two years, I wouldn't describe the TVIS change over as a "Kick" :lol:

It's more akin to the VTEC cam change. I notice a very slight "rock" through the car as the TVIS opens up and the engine gets used to it's higher airflow, and then as said above it's mainly the change in engine note and a more heady rush towards 7Krpm. It certainly won't pin you back in your seat (and neither does VTEC as the fanboys will have you believe) but you should notice the engine feeling free-er revving and much more sporty and rorty and fun. I would imagine that with TVIS not actuating properly the engine would begin to feel strangled as you approach 7Krm as airflow is hampered and that this would be particularly noticeable in 2nd gear. A fully-functional 4AGE feels particularly spritely in this region.

I don't think it is as noticable as VTEC in all honesty. So like others have said there is no mega change, more a change in engine note, but it should feel free enough revving right round to the rev limiter.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
WeirdNeville

Post by WeirdNeville »

Lauren wrote:
WeirdNeville wrote:After driving a Turbo 200SX (is there any other kind?) for two years, I wouldn't describe the TVIS change over as a "Kick" :lol:

It's more akin to the VTEC cam change. /snip/

I don't think it is as noticable as VTEC in all honesty. So like others have said there is no mega change, more a change in engine note, but it should feel free enough revving right round to the rev limiter.

I agree, I was talking more about how the character of the engine changes (sonically and free-revvingly) rather than any perceived "kick" that the engine delivers. The Racing VTEC engines (ITR's and their Kin, Civic Typewriters etc) really do have a step change in performance but ->IMO<- they do a lot to give the impression of being fast without actually accelerating you a whole heap quicker. Again, this is after years of driving a torquey grunty turbo, which tended to develop torque rather than rabid top end power. Again ->IMO<- VTEC for show, Forced induction for a pro :twisted: :lol: :clown: :thumleft:

To the OP- Congrats on getting it sorted! By Jove, I think he's got it!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

WeirdNeville wrote:
I agree, I was talking more about how the character of the engine changes (sonically and free-revvingly) rather than any perceived "kick" that the engine delivers. The Racing VTEC engines (ITR's and their Kin, Civic Typewriters etc) really do have a step change in performance but ->IMO<- they do a lot to give the impression of being fast without actually accelerating you a whole heap quicker. Again, this is after years of driving a torquey grunty turbo, which tended to develop torque rather than rabid top end power. Again ->IMO<- VTEC for show, Forced induction for a pro :twisted: :lol: :clown: :thumleft:

To the OP- Congrats on getting it sorted! By Jove, I think he's got it!

I do find that the car only really does fly when its in the VTEC zone. Its pretty anodyne below 6K. However once you get into VTEC progress is pretty rapid really, so it does most certainly accelerate you quicker.

LOL at your forced induction talk. I've always thought it the other way round. Far, far better throttle response with an NA than any turbo. I quite like my razor sharp throttle response and adjustability that comes with it. Makes the chassis feel much sharper. So a pro would take throttle response everytime. :+:
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
WeirdNeville

Post by WeirdNeville »

Lauren wrote:
I do find that the car only really does fly when its in the VTEC zone. Its pretty anodyne below 6K. However once you get into VTEC progress is pretty rapid really, so it does most certainly accelerate you quicker.

LOL at your forced induction talk. I've always thought it the other way round. Far, far better throttle response with an NA than any turbo. I quite like my razor sharp throttle response and adjustability that comes with it. Makes the chassis feel much sharper. So a pro would take throttle response everytime. :+:

Goes to show I'm not a pro!
It's horses for courses isn't it. The talented driver will prefer better throttle response. I liked the ability of a turbo to compensate for my occasionally poor gear selection and for it's mid range flexibility. But then I've come back to a revvy little Engine from that, so that says a lot. For driving pleasure we all know that the 4GAGE delivers in spades, even if it's not the quickest thing out there TVIS or not.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”