My Nur Trip July 2008

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

Flamby

My Nur Trip July 2008

Post by Flamby »

Yo guys,

Well I have just got back from one of the most amazing trips of my life so far?!! nope thats not exaggerating... seriously an amazing trip!

I spent from Friday till Monday at the Nurburgring, something that I have always wanted to do since buying the car from a fellow club member “Fizz” 3 years ago (he took it round there just before I bought it from him) and now 3 years later I have done it! I’ve earned my stickers haha.

The planning and build up to the holiday was intense, with everything time wise being extremely tight! I left on the Thursday night and didn’t get my car back from 3s for some much needed attention till that same Thursday morning... so yeah very tight

Whilst I’m talking about it, just want to say a huge thank you to James and the team at 3s / ToyotaGT for getting all the bits needed for my car and having the work all done for me even though I honestly did give you guys a tight schedule!

Ok so we set off right on schedule and all was going really well, until.......
Well we had just got into Belgium, 3.5 hours into the journey and my car decided that it was going to dump its engine coolant in a petrol station, much to the amusement of the truck drivers filling up.... I started to panic of course.

But luckily the mates I was with are absolute geniuses with anything mechanical and were able to quickly diagnose it as being this little coolant hose that goes from the block to the throttle body and which only runs on idle... a clip on the hose was not secured in the right place and therefore water was pouring out at idle.

so once that clip was back on and they had checked my whole engine over (swearing about mr2s being “inconvenient” to work on the whole time), we were then good to go and the car performed like a dream for the rest of the trip, even though I was hesitant with it at first....

We all were splint among 9 cars, of which there was:
2 x CRXs, 1 x S2k, 1 x R33 Skyline, 1 x s14, 1 x RX8, 1 x Celica n/a, my bros Ford Ranger and my 2 :D

Anyway I’m babbling on, so I shall start with the pics.... they are taken on various cameras (some mobile phone, some hand held and others dslr) and the quality reflects that, I will do my best to group them into an organised collection.

First off... our cars.

This CRX is an incredibly quick track machine....

But sadly did not make it back home under its own steam... nothing sinister... just the engine died after some hard track abuse

The newest car of all I think managed to use the most fuel and oil too... welcome to rx8 ownership..

This is where it spent pretty much all of its time 

The amount of pictures I took of that rex worry me too lol :D anyway on with the others

As Im sure you can imagine.. he is rather proud of this pic

Yep it was as painful as it looks....

This next car was the S14 that was with us, a real drifting machine and I can safely say my most fun lap of all round the Nur  hehe sideways Nur action

The celica

S2k

Yep the badge is the wrong way round...

My bros truck, support vehicle!!! Hehe

Yep even that one earned its sticker...

Flamby

Re: My Nur Trip July 2008

Post by Flamby »

Pics of the track, and the surrounding areas.

Yep this next pic is of an Adult warehouse.... I couldn’t believe it either.

These next few were taken by my bros when he had a ride round the Nur in the celica.

Few more scenery shots which I love

Pictures of other cars around Nur.

Legendary Nur Taxis

Oh yeah even buses go round the ring...

Don’t really like bikes but had to take advantage of the way these were parked!!

Possibly the greatest colour caterham ever???

Flamby

Post by Flamby »

I don’t actually think this next one went around.... damn posers haha

I know Im a bad person but this z4 was gorgeous!!!

This next car I can safely say was driven as it should be!! He overtook me during one of my laps whilst he was chasing the ring taxi.... very very impressive.

Oh and these were part of a massive group of old vw beatles and camper vans, there must have been something going on over that weekend.

Aha I hear you guys cry... where is your car Dan??? Hehe ok here are some shots taken of mine during the wknd.

See it really did do the journey

I didn’t actually camp, I stayed in Koblenz but my bros did camp and this is me visiting him

Cooling down after my first lap I believe... Im amazed I managed to take a steady picture... I was shaking so much haha

Wearing its medal...

So there we go, hopefully all those pictures give you a glimpse to how much fun a trip to Nur is!!

Don’t mean to end on a downer but as I was parked up in the ED garage (only garage next to the Nur straight which some of you may know), I went into the shop there to get myself some bits and await the others before heading home and when I came out someone had managed to reverse into my car, buckled the boot and scuffed the rear bumper

Rear bumper is all sorted now after some hours of polishing and t-cutting but that boot lid is a pain, will see if it can be straightened but we shall see.
I never saw whoever did this to my car but the English guys from a Ford owners club told me they saw a German car manoeuvring with a trailer... you win this time Germans...

So yeah apart from that, amazing trip, amazing track, and the 2 handled like a dream! I never thought I would be brave enough to go round the track as fast as I did and enjoy how the car handled it as much as I did!
I recommend it to anyone who is even thinking slightly about doing it! Its incredible!

Anyway that’s all of it, I hope you enjoyed reading about it and enjoyed looking at my pictures as much as I enjoyed taking them!

Dan
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Sounds fab. Haven't been for two years, desperately want to go back.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

Brilliant photos. :clap:

Makes we want to have a ROAD TRIP!!!!!
Lou-Lou

Post by Lou-Lou »

Glad the water issue got sorted pretty quick.

Seriously felt for you when that happened the amount of times I've spent at the side of the road when mine used to like dumping all its water over the road several times a week!
Flamby

Post by Flamby »

appreciate the comments :) thank you! glad you like the photos mattcambs :)

Yeah I was so happy when they diagnosed and fixed it lou at the side of the road like that lol :D
Was seriously scared that it was going to be the end of the trip for me!
Appreciated your reassurance when it happened too :)
C/W 98 Spec UKDM DC2 #26
Check out my Flikr (motorsport and car photography)
Lou-Lou

Post by Lou-Lou »

Flamby wrote:appreciate the comments :) thank you! glad you like the photos mattcambs :)

Yeah I was so happy when they diagnosed and fixed it lou at the side of the road like that lol :D
Was seriously scared that it was going to be the end of the trip for me!
Appreciated your reassurance when it happened too :)

I think its all part of having an MR2... occasionally they don't like water!
Flamby

Post by Flamby »

haha I agree :)
C/W 98 Spec UKDM DC2 #26
C50

Post by C50 »

wow! a mugen crxxx? 8)
Michel

Post by Michel »

Flamby

Post by Flamby »

oh wow!!!!! :clap: 8) :clap:

your an absolute legend mate!!! Did you take these? if so thank you so so so much! I was only just thinking to myself that I dont have any track pics of the 2 going round! This is fantastic!

And if you found them then thank you so much also :D absolutly made my night that has lol :thumleft:

Cheers!

Dan
C/W 98 Spec UKDM DC2 #26
fizz

Post by fizz »

Had and excellent trip and greats pics again Dan...

Glad to see my old '2 is still going stronger than ever and i love the way its gone in terms of the mods etc. :)

Here are some of my pics from the trip and please ignore the obligatory shaving foam prank pics... :mrgreen:

http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r307 ... p_view_all
Lou-Lou

Post by Lou-Lou »

C50 wrote:wow! a mugen crxxx? 8)

That belongs to my mate Alan..

He smashed it up at the ring in 2006 and stripped it down and rebuilt the whole thing to what you see there. Awesome car :D

Return to “Driving Experiences”