[Mk2] [Turbo] Screamer Pipes

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Screamer Pipes

Post by Martin F »

that sounded well nice mate...me likes :thumleft:
monkeyminger

Post by monkeyminger »

hi i new to imoc but thought i would put my 2p in.ihave a friend with a evo 6 mak which he bought a few months ago.he went in a very familiar red mr2 turbo (from wales) and loved the noise it made.he asked what i could do so i made him a internal screemer.it sounds really really good no difference to a external waste gate u just got to get the tube the right diameter.will get a link up soon as i can to youtube and i will be getting a few laser cut flanges made. I hope to have 1 on a mr2 turbo in the very near future got a bloke who wants 1 so i will see what it sounds like on standard boost evo is running 20psi
tarmac terrorist

Post by tarmac terrorist »

i have a screamer pipe on mine & it is very noisey(but do sound the nuts) i have had two cars swerve as ive gone past them on the road it was funny as one was a boy racer with his arm out the window he dropped his fag out of his mouth and swerved towards the kerb lol
greeny

Post by greeny »

oBladeo wrote:
This is the kit i have

That hole for the wastegate looks very small,

Id port that out before you fit it, otherwise I think you'll suffer boost creep at anything under 20 psi!

What size is the wastegate?
oBladeo

Post by oBladeo »

the wastegate on that kit are 38mm they do do bigger tho

not had a problem with over 30 psi so should be ok ;)
Last edited by oBladeo on Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

This is a great idea for all you performance part makers if you have came across this thread (making a Screamer pipe setup / kit for standard MR2 turbo owners) :wink: :wink:
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

I dont know that much about car mechanics, but is the bit I have marked out the wastegate section of the down pipe that needs to be isolated on the standard downpipe and directed out of the downpipe with some pipe?? If so, where next does the modded wastegate pipe go or do you just run this pipe to your prefered area (eg a side vent).

Thanks
greeny

Post by greeny »

oBladeo wrote:the wastegate on that kit are 38mm they do do bigger tho

not had a problem with over 30 psi so should be ok ;)

Doesnt matter whether its an 80mm wastegate, Its the hole on the turbo thats worrying me it looks rediculously small, can you measure it?

I would port drill that out before fitting to try and give it a fighting chance at holding any boost and not destroying your engine. :thumleft:
oBladeo

Post by oBladeo »

Yea "Steve-O 2007" your right that pipe leads to the wategate and you would need to issolate it.

greeny sorry chap can't as the turbo is all built up and ready to go on down at the tuning shop.

That is not the exact kit i have as the wastegate and dump valve are crap.
greeny

Post by greeny »

oBladeo wrote:Yea "Steve-O 2007" your right that pipe leads to the wategate and you would need to issolate it.

greeny sorry chap can't as the turbo is all built up and ready to go on down at the tuning shop.

That is not the exact kit i have as the wastegate and dump valve are crap.

its the hole in the exhaust housing that looks too small though not the wastegate
nick200

Post by nick200 »

IF ? i understand this correctly - the sceamer pipe is the vent for the wastegate which is unsilenced exhaust gas hence the volume.....

So ...... how about for the same effect with minumum change , leave the internal wastegate as it is and simply add an additional small port on the downpipe ? Then you can choose when your 'screemer' sound is effective :ie a throttle actuated valve or a pressure valve linked to boost pressure.

Do you think this would work, or am i missing something ?
oBladeo

Post by oBladeo »

sorry can't see it working how would you get a EBC to run a wastegate and the actuator correctly?
nick200

Post by nick200 »

oBladeo wrote:sorry can't see it working how would you get a EBC to run a wastegate and the actuator correctly?

i would be interested to know why ? in my mind the simplicity of this idea is that whatever wastegate control you have is left exactly as is - or is there something else i'm not understanding about bleeding a small amount of exhaust gas from the downpipe ?
monkeyminger

the right stuff.

Post by monkeyminger »

you cant have the tube just any where in the down pipe as its not under enough pressure coming from the housing and bypassing the impellor is at its highest preasure,That is what gives it such a unique sound.in the down pipe it is hardly under any pressure.1st step u needa turbo with a visibly different waste gate and turbine (so u can seperate the 2)then you need the flange making up with the 2 seperate channels NOT conjoined like you get on most aftermarket down pipes the rest is just plumbing oh and you need the correct size pipe as i learned to my cost to big you get a very rough sound to small and you will get boost creep.ps if you want i can make them to spec if any 1 wants 1???
nick200

Re: the right stuff.

Post by nick200 »

monkeyminger wrote:you cant have the tube just any where in the down pipe as its not under enough pressure coming from the housing and bypassing the impellor is at its highest preasure,That is what gives it such a unique sound.in the down pipe it is hardly under any pressure.1st step u needa turbo with a visibly different waste gate and turbine (so u can seperate the 2)then you need the flange making up with the 2 seperate channels NOT conjoined like you get on most aftermarket down pipes the rest is just plumbing oh and you need the correct size pipe as i learned to my cost to big you get a very rough sound to small and you will get boost creep.ps if you want i can make them to spec if any 1 wants 1???

ahh ok, thanks - i see what you are saying the outlet from the wastegate is effectivly dilluted from the regular exhaust gas's so yes just tapping off the downpipe wont produce the same sound.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Don't bother!

I am thinking about getting my external routed into the exhaust. Its too loud, it would never get on a track and is actually a bit annoying.

Nothing beats the sound of a big turbo sucking and you can't hear that with an external wastegate.

That sound at the end of the run is not the wastegate but is turbo stall. I'd say the best thing about my setup at the moment is you can hardly hear or acheive any stall, but I have got 50mm worth of BOV.
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Jimbob wrote: Its too loud,

I like it loud :)

So just to clear this up, can this be done with a standard turbo or does it have to be an aftermarket uprated turbo? btw I have next to zero turbo knowledge (all I know is when they kick in they put a smile on your face ;) )

monkeyminger - If they can be fitted to any turbo, can you make them for a Rev2 Turbo? If so, how much?

Thanks
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

£200 for a half decent wastegate
£50 for metal
£50 to reweld you manifold after it cracks

Or

£250 on a decent filter, MBC, stainless decat = more horsepower and common sense
monkeyminger

more noise

Post by monkeyminger »

hi sorry it took so long to get back.i have been working on gts andys car.not quite sure what he was on about when he said a cracked manifold.I dont touch the manifold or turbo. :-k I need to know what exhaust is on it and turbo (if it is still a ct26).but i would charge £205 for the screemer but it also is a de-cat down pipe aswell (that is in stainless steel and with laser cut flanges and fitted+heat wrap).where r u?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

does any on have a photo of what this should look like as i would like to get one made, my mates a welder and is about to do me a de-cat pipe anyway!! cheers, Ryan.

Return to “Modifications”